Brookline Infill and Small Developments

Updates on the two projects on Centre Street:

20240511_173006.jpg
20240511_173133.jpg

The Landing at Chestnut Hill

1715716699118.jpeg

landing%20at%20chestnut%20hill.jpeg

“City Realty Group has acquired the 5.34-acre site located at 1280-1330 Boylston Street Brookline, MA for $41,000,000.”

“The developer aims to fully activate with a mix of commercial, retail, medical, hospitality and residential uses. “We are excited to work with the town to create a destination meeting place for shoppers, diners, employees, guests and residents alike.” said Stephen Whalen, Managing Partner at City Realty. “We can’t wait to create a striking gateway to Brookline and an asset to the Chestnut Hill community.”

https://www.bldup.com/posts/city-realty-acquires-5-34-acre-brookline-development-site-for-41m

https://atlanticretail.com/investor-listing/the-landing-at-chestnut-hill/

Hell yeah. I actually think the Route 9 area of Chestnut Hill only needs a few relatively small tweaks to turn into a decently pleasant urban area (decently pleasant considering it started as a highway, at least; it'll never be the South End). Nothing's ever going to happen to the tennis club, obviously (and I'm fine with such a unique institution like that being there, even if I'll never step foot inside) but building a nice mixed-use residential building on the CVS/gas station/parking lot in front of Star Market and adding a few more pedestrian crossings would count as major improvements.

Hell yeah. I actually think the Route 9 area of Chestnut Hill only needs a few relatively small tweaks to turn into a decently pleasant urban area (decently pleasant considering it started as a highway, at least; it'll never be the South End). Nothing's ever going to happen to the tennis club, obviously (and I'm fine with such a unique institution like that being there, even if I'll never step foot inside) but building a nice mixed-use residential building on the CVS/gas station/parking lot in front of Star Market and adding a few more pedestrian crossings would count as major improvements.
I'm not quite on board with that. You'll never turn Route 9 into Comm Ave.

Reactions: FK4
I'm not quite on board with that. You'll never turn Route 9 into Comm Ave.

Of course not. That's obviously exactly what I meant when I said "it'll never be the South End."

But different parts of Route 9 already provide drastically different feels and pedestrian experiences. Thanks to all the new, street-facing development on Route 9 in Brookline Village, that part of it no longer feels like a highway at all; it just feels like a broad urban thoroughfare. I probably still wouldn't be tempted to sip an espresso on the sidewalk down there, but I also don't feel like I'm out of place and I need to keep my head on a swivel when I'm walking on the sidewalk there -- cars, pedestrian, and street-level retail coexist peacefully. There's no reason why the stretch of Route 9 in Chestnut Hill can't feel the same way.

Nothing's ever going to happen to the tennis club, obviously (and I'm fine with such a unique institution like that being there, even if I'll never step foot inside).

We used to sneak in there all the time in summers in high school to use their pools at night (there are two, one shall for laps and the other a small deep one). The gate on Dunster Rd was chained but unlocked, so you could just unwind the chains and get in. We got caught once and then never went back, but it was a regular nocturnal activity for a couple years.

Back