How much of Boston does Boston University own?

In addition to the Charles River campus and Kenmore Square, BU also owns a sizable footprint in the South End with the Boston Medical Center.

Only somewhat related:

Im looking for information on the Myles Standish Hall (previously Hotel) sub-basement.

Anyone know where I can find floor plans or a history of what was/is in the subbasement?

Contact building services or space planning at the university and ask nicely.

When they say "no":
Check to see if plans were ever filed or on record with any building permits. City archives under the Brooke Courthouse, various departments at City Hall might have something, the BPL public documents sections, and as a last resort the state archives down by the JFK library usually have the originals or copies of everything you could possibly imagine.

If that fails:
Try consulting issues of The American Architect and Building News around the time of construction. A read of those old journals will give you an idea of how terrible Architectural Record is in comparison to 'real' architectural publications.

I couldn't give you a number but there is a map here (http://www.radicalcartography.net/?boston_campus) which illustrates how much land certain colleges own.

Roxbury and Bunker Hill community colleges both own a lot more land than they are actually using. Some of Bunker Hill's unbuilt land is athletic fields, but surely not all of it. Developing the unused land would tie the colleges better into the communities that adjoin them.

Roxbury and Bunker Hill community colleges both own a lot more land than they are actually using. Some of Bunker Hill's unbuilt land is athletic fields, but surely not all of it. Developing the unused land would tie the colleges better into the communities that adjoin them.

I always felt that RCC's superblock really cut off Roxbury and Dudley Sq from the rest of the city. How about cutting a few roads through there and let them build some taller structures?

And while you're at it, remove the fence that separates much of the campus from Columbus Avenue. Why would a community college fence itself off from the community?

I've always wondered what kind of budget community colleges have to build developments...the area around BHCC sure could use some work, to help connect it to the riverwalk/citywalk/rkg/skatepark/whatchamacalliter. And some denser residential. And the riddance of the McD's/applebees/99/whateveramajigger. And the ice rink could be a little friendlier.

And the riddance of the McD's/applebees/99/whateveramajigge

Careful there -- that stripmall also contains the only supermarket for miles around. Every neighborhood needs one.

And the only Friendly's!
Gotta get my monthly dose of tuna melt, fribble, and shitty service.

Friendly's can stay, that place is the bomb...ha. Did I say get rid of the supermarket?

On another note, does anyone notice that nowhere but Boston/New England/Northeast call it a supermarket and not a 'grocery store'? I mean I've heard grocery store in Boston, but everyone in St. Louis think I'm weird when I say I go to a supermarket to get food-to them that's a Target or Wal-Mart.

^Really?! We're OK with Friendly's?! It's terrible and completely replaceable. Don't get me wrong, I love me some triple sampler, but anyone can fry up some Onion Strings, Quesadilla (especially the Friendly's quality) and Mozzeralla Sticks. I also could find a better Chicken Parm Supermelt (albeit, with a different name).

Kennedy, I hear the supermarket thing, it's a regional term. It's a grocery store to everyone else. Since we're already this far off topic, I also think the South has some of the strangest names for grocery stores... Food Lion, Publix, Winn-Dixie, Piggly Wiggly etc. Up here it's family names (Hannaford, Shaw's, Trucchi's, etc) or generic phrases (Market Basket, Stop & Shop, the now defunct Shop & Save, Star Market, etc). Aside from a few exceptions (the nationwide Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, etc) our names are pretty generic while elsewhere they tend to get a little crazy.

Kennedy, I hear the supermarket thing, it's a regional term. It's a grocery store to everyone else. Since we're already this far off topic, I also think the South has some of the strangest names for grocery stores... Food Lion, Publix, Winn-Dixie, Piggly Wiggly etc. Up here it's family names (Hannaford, Shaw's, Trucchi's, etc) or generic phrases (Market Basket, Stop & Shop, the now defunct Shop & Save, Star Market, etc). Aside from a few exceptions (the nationwide Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, etc) our names are pretty generic while elsewhere they tend to get a little crazy.

If never heard anyone in California call it a grocery store

In St. Louis, they have ridiculous union laws that disallow supermarkets to be within a mile of eachother. For names, we've got Straub's (family owned, equivalent to Whole Foods), then the weird ones- Shnucks and Dierbergs, and the nationals Whole Foods, TJs, and Wal-Mart Supercenter.

I couldn't give you a number but there is a map here (http://www.radicalcartography.net/?boston_campus) which illustrates how much land certain colleges own. It's pretty impressive.

Several errors and omissions.

Harvard does not own "Harvard Arboretum". It is Arnold Arboretum and owned by the City, and leased to Harvard for nearly forever.

Omissions: Episcopal Divinity School on Brattle St. in Cambridge. Fairly big campus.

Harvard School of Public Health and Dental School in Longwood. (Tufts Dental School should be added to Tufts Medical.)

Also, Harvard has acquired a bit more land in Allston, and I believe MIT has acquired land in Cambridgeport.

Several errors and omissions.

Harvard does not own "Harvard Arboretum". It is Arnold Arboretum and owned by the City, and leased to Harvard for nearly forever.

Omissions: Episcopal Divinity School on Brattle St. in Cambridge. Fairly big campus.

Harvard School of Public Health and Dental School in Longwood. (Tufts Dental School should be added to Tufts Medical.)

Also, Harvard has acquired a bit more land in Allston, and I believe MIT has acquired land in Cambridgeport.

How bout you email the guy so he can update it? I didn't make the map.

Van, is the Arboretum the other way around? Harvard owns, but leases to City?

Can't anyone use Google anymore? From Wikipedia:

Status

The Arboretum is privately endowed as a department of Harvard University. The land, however, was deeded to the City of Boston in 1882 and incorporated into the so-called "Emerald Necklace". Under the agreement with the City, Harvard University was given a thousand-year lease on the property, and the University, as trustee, is directly responsible for the development, maintenance, and operation of the Arboretum; the City retains responsibility for water fountains, benches, roads, boundaries, and policing. The annual operating budget of $7,350,644 (fiscal year 2003) is largely derived from endowment, which is also managed by the University, and all Arboretum staff are University employees. Other income is obtained through granting agencies and contributors.

URL

Back