Lyrik Back Bay | 1001 Boylston Street (Parcel 12) | Back Bay

They should follow the "plaza over pike" formula with buildings on either side all the way to Kenmore Square, at least.

I've long wondered why this wasn't the approach for decking the Pike. Instead of tall, challenging engineering, why not low, inviting open space? It would provide a rationale for height right along side the Pike (hey, we get all this open space!), knit the city back together, and bring more density right alongside a rail corridor.

I'm a little befuddled by the over-the-top reaction here as well. Y'all have stood on a highway overpass before, right? It doesn't matter how many trees or granite benches they put in, this is going to be a loud, windy spot overlooking a bleak grey expanse. The goal should be to hide the pike, not pretend it's the Grand Canal.

It doesn't matter how many trees or granite benches they put in, this is going to be a loud, windy spot overlooking a bleak grey expanse. The goal should be to hide the pike, not pretend it's the Grand Canal.

Hmm. With 1000 Boylston and the other buildings, there's a ton of decking going in that will create a substantial expanse where you barely notice the Pike exists. The street-grid will possess the appearance and experience consistent with what exists: your drafty, cool, cold, frigid, windy Back Bay a good many days of the year. Most of the time, its going to be quite incredible thank you. i just hope it happens soon.

This is absolutely outstanding!!

I agree with this.

Talk about a grand entrance to Boston on the Pike.

In a vacuum, this thing is super cool. However, right now there is already a true "grand entrance" to Boston on the Pike, in the form of our 3 tallest towers lined up in a row. It's probably the most spectacular view of how 1 Dalton has altered the Back Bay skyline. I have a bad feeling that this project is going to wipe out that showstopping view, which is one of the absolute best in Boston. We're going to end up blocking 3 700 footers with a pair of 200 footers.

I wish I had a newer pic, but this is basically the view I am talking about and this complex is right in the middle of it.

IMG_6520 by David Z, on Flickr

I'm a little befuddled by the over-the-top reaction here as well. Y'all have stood on a highway overpass before, right? It doesn't matter how many trees or granite benches they put in, this is going to be a loud, windy spot overlooking a bleak grey expanse. The goal should be to hide the pike, not pretend it's the Grand Canal.

What? Theres going to be one tiny spot for the onramp with the highway down a few stories and separates by 2 towers, and then all of the other holes are being covered as well. This isnt true at all... and thats the point.

I agree with this.

In a vacuum, this thing is super cool. However, right now there is already a true "grand entrance" to Boston on the Pike, in the form of our 3 tallest towers lined up in a row. It's probably the most spectacular view of how 1 Dalton has altered the Back Bay skyline. I have a bad feeling that this project is going to wipe out that showstopping view, which is one of the absolute best in Boston. We're going to end up blocking 3 700 footers with a pair of 200 footers.

I wish I had a newer pic, but this is basically the view I am talking about and this complex is right in the middle of it.

IMG_6520 by David Z, on Flickr

From up close yes, but from that shot they wont look taller than even 111 huntington, preserving this view.

Hmm. With 1000 Boylston and the other buildings, there's a ton of decking going in that will create a substantial expanse where you barely notice the Pike exists. It's going to be the street-grid and appearance consistent with what already is a drafy, cool, cold, frigid windy Back Bay a good many days of the year. Most of the time, its going to be quite incredible thank you. i just hope it happens soon.

Barely notice the pike exists? From here???

That's a very pretty rendering. In reality, those tables will never be occupied, because sitting next to an eight-lane highway blows.

The point is to notice that it exists from there... When it was blocked off completely before you wouldnt. Now the pike is part of the view.

If you dont want to see it you stay on the Mass ave side.

What are you even suggesting, I dont understand? Somehow this sucks still because you have the option of just staying on mass ave or if you so choose you can go up into the park? Are you saying they should have kept the previous design? Because the steps going up a story from ground level and the towers are still huge dampers that will block the sound, but if you choose you can go up to the park.

Move over Custom House. This could be greatest thing I have ever seen.

Am I missing something? Its a nice project and a welcome addition but what are people blown away by? The colorful renderings?

Right. Type001 actually said "move over Custom House." What?

The park/public space is great, but the tower is still Elkus meh.

It was slight exaggeration to say the least. CH will always be #1.

What was the catalyst for such a dramatic change from the previous version? Don't recall a rabid mob storming the last community presentation screaming and throwing chairs around.

Now that yesterday's enthusiasm has quieted, I'm left with one observation:

The designers clearly swiped the braced-up cornice detail on Gehry's (former) Tower Records building (now 360 Newbury Street) and used them as pilotis, creating a unified compositional motif. It's truly intelligent contextualism, miles ahead of what I expect from Elkus.

Considering their appearance here, and here, if built as shown, Boston may have more of these "French fry" columns than Oslo, where they made their first appearance in the lobby of Snøhetta's magnificent Opera House.

Last edited:
I really like what I see, though I am also skeptical about how "good" the open space will be. My experience with Seattle's Freeway Park is that the noise is almost overbearing when you're near the edges.

Still this is a massive improvement over what is currently there.

I’m hopeful that the park will turn out nice. It makes me think of the park next to north station with the Bobby Orr statue. People use that little park all the time and there’s an 8 lane highway right there.

I just hope it doesn't force Bukowski's to relinquish its (unofficial) "Freeway Vue Tavern" moniker....

[... although isn't Bukowski's threatened by a development proposal for the garage it's a tenant of, in the first place? Come to think of it, is this, in fact, the proposal that's threatening Bukowski's?

I wish there was a combo Back Bay/Mass Pike decking proposals subpage here that included Rosenthal's underway project, 1000 Boylston, this, etc., that showed them all in one concise overhead site plan...]

I hate the V shaped column configuration that supports the north building, and the smaller ones supporting the elevated park, but other than that the complex isn't bad.

It's different. i'm not sophisticated enough not to love it. For the sound dampening/reflecting; Glass serpentine fence? or block the view of the highway?

The funny thing is highways sound like a waterfall so reading from the part facing the highway may be relaxing... not sure about conversations from right there.

-edit: damnit I next paged it..

Back