Tremont Temple Baptist Church proposal (defunct)

JohnAKeith

Reaction score
In 1989, the Tremont Temple Baptist Church with co-developer St James Properties proposed building an office tower next-to and above their church, located at 76-88 Tremont Street.

The $45 million project, as proposed, was to be 16-stories high. The facade of the church would have received a full rehab and the 95-year old interior upgraded. (The church was designed by Clarence Blackall and George Newton.)

The tower would have been 190' tall, have 145,000 square feet of space, and have retail on floors one and two. In addition to millions given to the church for its renovation, the developer would have donated linkage funds to build a daycare center and to help build affordable housing in Dudley Square, Roxbury. (Notter Finegold + Alexander was the architect of this housing.)

Linkage funds would have also been donated to rehab Converse Hall, which is apparently inside the temple.

The tower was to be designed by Robert A M Stern Architects.

The 90 Tremont Street was eventually built on, as we all know, by a new developer. It's now the site of the Nine-Zero hotel. Tsoi/Kobus & Associates Inc. is the architect.

Before Nine-Zero was built, it was the site of the old Dini's grill.

Here are some photos. All the above information and these photos are from the developer's proposal.

If you go to my "The Life of a City" site, I've included links to pages in the proposal that cover the historic district as well as details on the temple's architects.

Original drawing:

tremont_temple1.png

Original design (made of butter?)

new_design1.png

Tremont Temple Baptist Church, 1989

tremont_temple_1989.png

The Littlest Bar ("Ambience!") and back of church, 1989

park_street_boston_1989_3.png

Dini's Sea Grille and front of church, 1989

park_street_boston_1989_4.png

Park Street area, 1989

park_street_boston_1989.png

Nine Zero hotel and Tremont Temple, current day

90_zero2.png

Converse Hall, circa 1989

converse_hall.png

Finally, a list of high-rises and big developments proposed for the city, in 1989. How many were built?

proposed_towers_19891.png

Last edited:
Good post. Definitely an interesting proposal. I think it would have made a good addition to the area and I think its certainly better than the generic brick box we got (which, imo isn't a bad building, just another background building compared to what could have been.)

I had to laugh at 45 province on that list. Only took about 20 years to get built.

Has anyone ever stayed at Nine-Zero? It seems like such an interesting boutique.

'Converse Hall' is the main sanctuary auditorium at Tremont Temple.

I've always been a fan of Nine-Zero (when was that built?) but this tower would have been spectacular.

Boston Crossing was a proposal to rip down Jordan Marsh and Lafayette Place and replace them with a large new development. The project didn't happen because the then-owner of Jordan Marsh, Robert Campeau, went bankrupt.

Commonwealth Center was a proposal for the property where Millennium Place (Ritz-Carlton Towers) was eventually built instead. I remember when the closed Paramount Theatre had a "Commonwealth Center" banner on it.

Pavilion at Park Square was also not built; much later, One Charles was built instead.

Thanks Ron.
When things get going again I'd love to see Macy's move into the Fileene's building and see a variety of retailers in Jordan Marsh. I think Jordan's could be a good draw... we'd still have the enchanted village at DTC.

^ In the early to mid 90's I seem to recall some construction occuring at this site along Boylston. A narrow commercial row style building was demolished and they pushed some earth around. The whole thing came to a halt and a temporary link fence was put up along Boylston St. It remained that way for many years until Emerson came along an built the dorm.

I had to laugh at 45 province on that list. Only took about 20 years to get built.

Has anyone ever stayed at Nine-Zero? It seems like such an interesting boutique.

I laughed too. One Lincoln is also on the list. Is the reason we get such dated and bland architecture (not talking about one Lincoln or 45... I like both of those) because Boston's literally 20 years behind?

I've never stayed there. I've eaten at K.O. Prime a few times (they have an all you can eat Prime Rib buffet on Tuesdays for lunch- $35... dinner is better though) and I've always admired the lobby space. It seems pretty nice. Ultra-modern but not too tacky or over the top.

The various failures to build in the early 1990s were largely due to financing issues during a recession. I don't think any of the projects failed due to NIMBYs or permitting problems.

Nine-Zero is very nice....I stayed with the wife once.....the room decor is luxe-modern, but not kitchsy like the W. I checked in early and was able to negotiate a good view (facing the Common/Back Bay) but some rooms have really crappy views. I'd definitely recommend it, plus it is a phenomenal location for the typical Boston tourist type.

Wow, this was proposed in 1989.
222 Berkeley was built in 1991.
Is it me or did Stern use nearly the same plans on 222 Berkeley that he had drawn up for this project?

Back