Search results

1. Charlie_mta

Ode to Brutalism

Brutalism has gotten a bad rap because it is associated with superblocks, plazas and 1960's bulldozer type urban renewal. If many of these buildings were set in a normal street grid without the plazas and setbacks, and with street level retail/activity, they would actually look pretty good.
  2. Charlie_mta

Cambridge Crossing (NorthPoint) | East Cambridge/Charlestown | Cambridge/Boston

The office space need could have been accommodated with some supertalls on smaller blocks, on a normal street grid. This area could have been a continuation of Boston's "high spine". I would have liked to have seen a mix of supertalls , low-rise high density housing, street level retail, and...
  3. Charlie_mta

Cambridge Crossing (NorthPoint) | East Cambridge/Charlestown | Cambridge/Boston

A lost opportunity to have developed some wetland strips, not huge ones but at least a couple of them 1/2 block wide. The Miller River used to run right through this site, and it would have been wonderful to reestablish some wetlands along its original corridor. I also agree that that the...
  4. Charlie_mta

Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

No escalator, only stairs and an elevator, from what I see in the renderings. An escalator is warranted for this high volume station.
  5. Charlie_mta

Let's Make Boston More Fun

Probably. I just need to lower my expectations to a high school level, and I'll fit right in.
  6. Charlie_mta

Gov. Baker pushes $18 billion transportation spending bill

https://www.wcvb.com/article/gov-baker-pushes-dollar18-billion-transportation-spending-bill/29401273#
  7. Charlie_mta

New Cape Cod Bridges

I'm sure there would be a hundred environmental objections, defended by the courts, that would prevent filling in the Canal. Trust me, I've tried to fill in parts of waterways in my line of work, and it will never happen.
  8. Charlie_mta

Okay, troll.
  9. Charlie_mta

New Cape Cod Bridges

12 ft. lanes on an expressway/highway is standard. I'm a civil engineer and have designed lots of roads, both local and highway. If you go narrower it becomes a safety issue at highway speeds.
  10. Charlie_mta

New Cape Cod Bridges

The 3rd lane would serve as a merge lane for the on/off ramps at each end of the new bridge. So I don't see a lot of lane drop back ups happening.. Hopefully they would also replace the rotary at the south end with a diamond grade separated interchange.
  11. Charlie_mta

I-90 Interchange Improvement Project & West Station | Allston

Thanks! Looks like a brick facade on the proposed Soldiers Field Road viaduct over the grounded Mass Pike (on page 29). I like that.
  12. Charlie_mta

The new Hub on Causeway complex and the accompanying revival of that area should pump up the nightlife, bar and music scene. Also the developments in the Kenmore Square area, and the Union Square area with the GLX opening. The trend is upward in several metro area locales.
  13. Charlie_mta

North Station, Charles River Draw, & Tower A

Thank you, that's very nice. The Warren Bridge closed when the original elevated Central Artery opened in the early 1950's, but it was left standing until the Charles River Dam replaced it. It left quite an impression on me as a kid, seeing this wide, wooden, somewhat rotten looking...
  14. Charlie_mta

Every city is different. Chicago has spectacular night life and music, as well as less NIMBYism, compared to Boston. But Boston has its unique charm. Some would call it provincial, but, hey, it is pretty unique.
  15. Charlie_mta

The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

It's amazing how the actual building ends up looking far better than the renders, pretty much every time.
  16. Charlie_mta

You're right, the Warren Bridge was the name. I don't know where I came up with Beverly Street Bridge. A looong time ago.
  17. Charlie_mta

It was called the Beverly Street Bridge and it was still largely intact (though not in use) in the 1950's and 60's. I used to see it as I rode on the Charlestown Elevated over the Washington Street Bridge. The Beverly Street Bridge had a wooden deck with trolley car rails in it, still...
  18. Charlie_mta

The Boston "what if" thread

When I was a kid back in the 1950's and 60's, I would ride the Charlestown el just for fun, standing behind the front window of the front car, looking out ahead. It was a fantastic ride, but the noisy elevated line cars would pass literally a few feet from the windows of the adjoining 2nd/3rd...
  19. Charlie_mta

The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

I really like the dark blue glass (reflecting the blue sky) and the white offset framing. However, the NW corner looks unfinished. Is that the permanent condition?
  20. Charlie_mta

Red Line / Blue Line Connector

For the short stretch from Bowdoin to Charles, mobilizing a tunnel boring machine for that would be very expensive. I'd say do the cut-and-cover and call it good. The street is wide so the surface traffic could be routed through with a bit of lane reduction temporarily. It's not just...