Search results

1. EdMc

Two Kansas City Icons: Liberty Memorial, Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts

Walking up those steps will make you huff and puff if you’re not young. As soon as I noticed that couple seemingly contemplate whether they should make the attempt, I saw some humor in that and zoomed in from a few blocks away and snapped the picture hurriedly before they dropped their pose...
  2. EdMc

Two American Design Icons: Space Needle, Gateway Arch

Mississippi River riverfront steps nps.gov - Eero Saarinen - Architect With a Vision By Michael A. Capps Born in Finland in 1910, Eero Saarinen was the son of Eliel Saarinen, a noted and respected architect. He was taught that each object should be designed in its "next largest context...
  3. EdMc

Gateway Arch gatewayarch.com - The Gateway Arch National Park (formerly known as the “Jefferson National Expansion Memorial”) stretches from the Old Courthouse to the steps overlooking the Mississippi River in St. Louis, Missouri. 630 feet to the top of America’s tallest man-made monument...
  4. EdMc

MoPOP, Museum of Pop Culture, with Needle All three elevators were replaced in 1993, one is used primarily for freight. The other two elevators are high speed and can travel at a rate of 10 mph, or 800 feet per minute. The earthquake stability of the Space Needle was ensured when a hole...
  5. EdMc

Space Needle From spaceneedle.com, The Space Needle is one of the most recognizable landmarks in the world and is a treasured Seattle, Washington icon. Built for the 1962 World’s Fair—the Century 21 Exposition whose theme was “The Age of Space”—the tower’s futuristic design was inspired by the...
  6. EdMc

Two Kansas City Icons: Liberty Memorial, Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts

Wikipedia - The technical requirements and exacting standards required of a facility like the Kauffman Center made it one of the most complex structures in the world to design and build. The building, which took nearly five years to complete, contains 40,000 square feet of glass, 25,000 cubic...
  7. EdMc

Doc Severinson, former Tonight Show bandleader, 90th birthday, July 7, 2017
  8. EdMc

Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts Opened September 16, 2011 The $326 million structure was paid for with private donations. - New York Times Kansas City Business Journal July 28, 2016 House Beautiful magazine compiled a list of "The Most Beautiful Places in all 50 states," and the...
  9. EdMc

Liberty Memorial Dedicated in 1921. Recognized by Congress as the "National World War I Museum and Memorial" TripAdvisor's #1 attraction in Kansas City No. 5 Ranked Museum in the U.S. - Yelp - theworldwar.org You've heard of Emmy, Tony, Oscar and Grammy? This location receives my Gus Award...
  10. EdMc

XenForo Update

Okay
  11. EdMc

XenForo Update

Yes, I had been able to do it in vBulletin as a long photo thread with textual descriptions. After trying to post one yesterday, I exited ArchBoston and, curiously, the edit box under the Post Thread button still had my 76 photos displayed with text when I logged back in. They just won’t post. I...
  12. EdMc

XenForo Update

Adding photos hosted on another server as I did with vBulletin. Attachments involves selecting photos from the photo library on my tablet. If you post the thread and it’s not what you wanted, you probably can’t delete it as with vBulletin. I wish the Help link had a description explaining how to...
  13. EdMc

XenForo Update

I never encountered a photo limitation on the previous vBulletin software, think of the number photos uploaded since the launch of that software for ArchBoston. Did that software even keep a count? There doesn’t seem to be a problem with adding more construction photos to existing threads for...
  14. EdMc

XenForo Update

I just tried to post a photo thread and received the following message, “Please enter a message with no more than 20 images.” This is severely restrictive!! I was trying to post 76 images, although, I’d like to post more.
  15. EdMc

Boston Nightwalks

Boston Nightwalks: A nod to American artist Edward Hopper’s, “Nighthawks”, a 1942 oil on canvas painting. Wikipedia: It has been described as Hopper's best known work[1] and is one of the most recognizable paintings in American art.[2][3] Within months of its completion, it was sold to the Art...
  16. EdMc

Indianapolis, a Bike Haven City

Indianapolis, A Bike Haven City: Indianapolis is probably best-known for the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race, but, should also be recognized for its ambitious downtown Cultural Trail. A beautiful bike and pedestrian trail with an eight mile length, I don’t think that this trail takes a back...
  17. EdMc

Santa Fe, New Mexico, an Architecturally Unique American City

SantaFe, New Mexico, an Architecturally Unique American City: “The City Different”, where architecture is truly art and art as a craft is practiced throughout city. visitsantafe.com - “Santa Fe ranks as the third largest art market in the country, with hundreds of local art galleries ....”...
  18. EdMc

John Portman, Peachtree Center, Embarcadero Center, Renaissance Center, Dies at 93

Images from Atlanta, including Peachtree Center, are below I remember following his developments with keen interest. His hotel atriums were widely imitated by other architects as the article states. His architecture was notable and made a splash whether you liked it or not. Edit: referring to...
  19. EdMc

2.5 Miles of LED Lights

Check out the Vimeo .... https://la.curbed.com/2017/12/22/16812924/downtown-la-wilshire-grand-new-years-eve-light-show .... and the interesting link, “almost 2.5 miles of LED lights”, embedded in the first paragraph. The Architect’s Newspaper LIGHT SPIRE A closer look at lighting integration on...