two additional floors. The renovation would
include a nineteen room boutique hotel and a cafe
managed by the South End Buttery. The Executive
Committee voted to not oppose their plans as
currently presented.

http://www.bayvillage.net/newsletter/Newsletter_2010_09.pdf

pic: http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/15614951/110-Arlington-Street-Boston-MA/

Re: 110 Arlington Street - boutique hotel

thes Being theVery MANNERLY bilding. BUT. Maybe this new HAt have cornass worth second look

Austere, with small flourishes. I love the copper cap on the parapet. No matter what, I'd do the hat in copper. The plainness of the base would allow many options: Mansard, or Gehryesque cloud, or Koolhaas geode, or Aalto sine-wave.

Vertical addition very welcome here. I doubt it will be other than a flat roof or mansard, though.

IMG_6728.jpg

IMG_6729.jpg

IMG_6730.jpg

This project has been cancelled. Although I didnt know they were going to tear the building down. I kind of like the structure.

From The Boston Business Journal article, which I found through Universal Hub:

"On the heels of a lawsuit to challenge a zoning change, Hub restaurateur Darryl Settles has abandoned plans to replace a vacant brick building on Arlington Street with a $7 million boutique hotel."

"But Brian Boisvert and Sarah Herlihy who are members of the neighborhood group and an abutter, filed suit arguing the hotel’s top floors would block views from their rooftop deck, Schwartz said. They eventually dropped the suit, but the damage was done, he added."

Last edited:

I think they were going to add 2 floors not tear it down. Seems like there is more to this story than what's in the press.

I thought they were going to add floors, too, but the article states they were going to replace the building. Maybe it was just a poor choice of words.

From the article:

..."project that would have replaced the derelict three-story property at 110 Arlington Street on the edge of the Back Bay with a five-story hotel."

Seems like there is more to this story than what's in the press.

The same guy had an aborted project in Fort Hill. Not sure if 2 constitutes a pattern, but it might have something to do with it. Evidently the lawsuit had been dropped, but he pulled out any way saying he didn't have the cash anymore.

The same guy had an aborted project in Fort Hill. Not sure if 2 constitutes a pattern, but it might have something to do with it. Evidently the lawsuit had been dropped, but he pulled out any way saying he didn't have the cash anymore.

Interesting -- the original building was constructed in 1931 during the Great Depression

Yet there wasn't money to do a rehab during the recent local rebound -- must have been something wrong beyond the law suit over the view

I'm pretty sure Darryl Settles is the guy that owns Darryl's Corner Bar on Columbus Ave in Roxbury (just a couple blocks over Mass Ave). He also had something to do with founding the BeeHive I think.

(Aside: If you like Southern and/or Soul food check out Darryl's Corner Bar. Great food, frequent live jazz and an awesome brunch. And a cool eclectic crowd the few times I've been there - old timers from Roxbury, gay couples from the SE, yuppies from the BB, etc.)

You can tell me this should belong in a "What's going on with X development" but I don't agree.

Saw this last week. This is new, no?

That whole intersection needs to be put on an "intersection diet," stat. You could probably easily accommodate an entire acre of new sidewalks/plaza space where road asphalt isn't necessary.

You can tell me this should belong in a "What's going on with X development" but I don't agree.

Saw this last week. This is new, no?

They got permits for this a few months ago. Not sure why they stopped working or if the permits have expired.

That whole intersection needs to be put on an "intersection diet," stat. You could probably easily accommodate an entire acre of new sidewalks/plaza space where road asphalt isn't necessary.

Yeah. It's like the exit ramp behind a suburban football stadium.

Re: 110 Arlington Street - boutique hotel | South End

Can you change the heading of this thread, ...I was trying to think where's Arlington St. in the South End?? How about Bay Village or Back Bay. Arlington dies at the MassPike, you have to at least cross the Pike to be in the South End.

Re: 110 Arlington Street - boutique hotel | Bay Village

I feel like they've been working on that building forever. I walk by there every morning and evening and they are always jack hammering away on stuff inside.

Re: 110 Arlington Street - boutique hotel | South End

Can you change the heading of this thread, ...I was trying to think where's Arlington St. in the South End?? How about Bay Village or Back Bay. Arlington dies at the MassPike, you have to at least cross the Pike to be in the South End.

This is Bay Village

Re: 110 Arlington Street - boutique hotel | Bay Village

My bad. I saw the reference to the South End Buttery in the first post and go mixed up. Sorry, fixed.

Back