Big Dig Ventillation Buildings

callahan

Reaction score
Have these been discussed at all? I find them ugly. I really think more consideration should have been taken. What about all of you?

fairintake.jpg

vent3.jpg

Wow! 31 views and no body's replied. :?

I'm surprised nobody has a comment on these structures. They're monsters and they're all over the place down by all the construction. They are, in fact, now part of the skyline.

Ehhh, I'm indifferent. They need to go somewhere close to the highway, which doesn't give you many options for placement in an already densely packed city. And I think the design is still somewhat contemporary (what a lame adjective that is..) enough that I can just look the other way. But 15 years from now will be something entirely different...

Well, in this case I think indifference is OK. It's better than finding them offensive. I don't know, as I was standing by the ICA construction site I looked across the way and saw the new Westin Hotel, the new convention center and one of the Big Dig ventilation buildings. The scene was pretty dismal.

Aren't most of them being disguised by developments surrounding them, like the one inside the Intercontinental Hotel?

Anyway, the only one that is a major eyesore is the one across from the convention center. They really have to integrate that into a larger development.

JSic said:
Anyway, the only one that is a major eyesore is the one across from the convention center. They really have to integrate that into a larger development.
That's the one that is particularly bad.

You picked the worst ones to post pictures of. Some of them aren't that bad. I actually like the one over by Logan (I think that's the one).

Maybe there are some that I haven't even noticed because they're nicer looking. I guess The Intercontinental Hotel is actually wrapped around one of them.

The one over the Haymarket Station/Parking Garage looks good

So, are they all being used for other purposes than ventilation?

lexicon506 said:
You picked the worst ones to post pictures of. Some of them aren't that bad. I actually like the one over by Logan (I think that's the one).

I think the vent building at the airport won some design awards.

bosma said:
The one over the Haymarket Station/Parking Garage looks good

I agree, but every time I look at the giant M's on top of the stacks it reminds me of Magatoo (spelling) from Zoolander.

I agree, those vent buildings are eyesores. However, I think most of the vent buildings were meant to be covered over with future developments.

The one on the Greenway was supposed to be integrated into the Garden Under Glass. With the demise of that project, it looks like we will have to see that monstrosity for awhile.

I also think I read somewhere that the vent building in front of the Convention Center is slated to be surrounded by a mid-priced hotel development though I'm not sure of the status of that project.

Back