• West End Residences

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 45 Province Street

Votes: 9 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sidewalks

Reaction score
Would anyone like to suggest some nominations and perhaps even a few categories. Similarly we could have a poll on the WORST projects of the year.

"Good afternoon sir!

We're from the internet. We really like your new building! Here is your award. Be careful, the tinfoil might rip."

Here's a list of developments to be completed this year, listed by their architects:

* denotes possible 2009 completion, thus probably shouldn't be here

ADD
Archstone-Smith Cambridge

Arrowstreet
303 Third Street (Kendall Sq residential)
Two Financial Center*

Bohlin Cywinski Jackson
Apple Store

Bruner/Cott
45 Province*

Cannon Design
Brigham & Women's Cardiovascular, aka Shapiro Center
Boston University Phase 2 tower

Childs/Berkman/Tseckares
Mandarin Oriental
NorthPoint - Sierra

Elkus/Manfredi
1330 Boylston
West End residences

Hacin + Associates
FP3

ICON
Avenir*

Jung/Brannen
W Hotel* (architects of record)

Kyu Sung Woo
NEU Roxbury dorms (ha yeah right)
Harvard graduate housing, Memorial Dr at Western Ave

Robert A.M. Stern
The Clarendon (with CBT)

SOM
Harvard Northwest Science Building

Stubbins
BU Biolab

The Architectural Team
Battery Wharf

William Rawn
W Hotel* (design architects)
Wheelock Campus Center
MIT Albany St. graduate housing

--

This is from a list I had kicking around on my hard drive, and I haven't updated it in about a year, so to those who think of other projects, I'll add them to this list.

Last edited:
I second the nominations of 303 Third, 45 Province, maybe 1330 Boylston, and Battery Wharf.

Just go down the front page. You forgot the BU Tower and the BU Lab.

"Good afternoon sir!

We're from the internet. We really like your new building! Here is your award. Be careful, the tinfoil might rip."

How dare you. The Pritzker prize is yesterday's news...The Archboston Awards are the new gold standard.

...one note, I think the DEVELOPER and the building- not the architect- should be the nominee. In the academy awards there are awards for best director and best movie. The best movie honors the producers of the film- (I think that's what we're doing here)

Last edited:
W Hotel, beautiful glass structure that doesn't follow Boston design orthodoxy (bricks or facsimile, etc...).

I think we should pick a cutoff date for completion. Hard to evaluate projects like the Apple Store and (esp.) the W right now.

Maybe we should discuss projects that completed in '07 now and wait till December or January to discuss '08 projects?
Or perhaps even wait till the project is opened and occupied?
It may be an architectural success but an urban failure.

yes...these are valid points, regarding whether the building is actually open and whether it might be wiser to judge those buildings that opened in 2007. The Apple Store and the W project aren't even visible at this point in time so I excluded them from the poll. We can always open another thread with a poll for best buildings 2007.

Maybe we should discuss projects that completed in '07 now and wait till December or January to discuss '08 projects?
Or perhaps even wait till the project is opened and occupied?
It may be an architectural success but an urban failure.

I agree that you shouldn't consider a project whose construction won't be complete until some future year. And you could do a separate category, based on renderings, for projects approved during a year, as well as a category for best adaptive re-use, for the facadectomies.

I don't think you can give an award until the building opens. I want to see the inside of Battery Wharf before I cast my vote. I want to walk through the Mandarin, etc.

I can't vote for 45 Province yet because the exterior isn't final.

I'd recommend an award for buildings that open in that year. So maybe we can vote for the building of 2007 and list the properties that opened up last year?

This would be good PR for the board and get more people involved.

Alright, I've updated the list and tried to keep it to projects that will be completed this year.

But yes we obviously should be voting on completed buildings, so I'll get that list together. And I suppose I'll do one for projects to be completed in '09 and '10 also.

Stand by...

Should there be a nominations process? Such as three nominations per person, and a building must have at least two to be voted on?

What about category like the 25 year award, looking at how previous developments have aged?

I love the 25 years later award idea - in effect, the only way to really tell if architecture is "successful"

If we're talking about buildings completed in 2007, that would include the MacAllen building (and it's counterpart) right?

What's the criteria to qualify as a nominee?

I like this idea. Maybe we should develop it a bit.

Back