Center for Student Services @ BU |100 Bay State Rd | Back Bay

Re: BU Development Thread

Another parking lot bites the dust!

Finally a BU proposal that deviates from the brick/pre-cast mold. It's still a bit fuzzy but I like what I am seeing. President Brown said they are focusing on aesthetic improvements to the campus, and that this building would be a reflection of that. This is an encouraging improvement in my eyes.

For the click-phobic:

BU Today - April 28, 2010
Student Center Coming to East Campus
$50 million facility for dining, academic, and career services

By Leslie Friday
100226Renderings_t_0.jpg

For years, students living on East Campus have been keenly aware of the distance to amenities on West Campus ? things like FitRec and the StuVi twins, as well as Central Campus niceties like the George Sherman Union. Easterners, it seemed, had no social center of gravity.

That will soon change.

The University is planning to build a six-story, 106,000-square-foot structure housing state-of-the-art dining services and a new home for Career Services and Educational Resource Center (ERC). Construction of the estimated $50 million East Campus Center for Student Services is slated to begin this winter, with an opening date set for fall 2012.

?It?s a great way to pull the campus together,? says Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore.

Laurie Pohl, vice president for enrollment and student affairs, says West Campus, the George Sherman Union, and the future East Campus center will create a synergy of ?fitness for the body, fitness for the soul, and fitness for the mind.?

Preliminary plans for the center emerged from the University?s strategic planning process in 2007. Elmore and Pohl discussed how BU could better connect existing career and educational resource services, housed in separate (and relatively tired and obscure) locations.

At the same time, Dining Services knew that East Campus dining options paled in comparison to others. When they ran the numbers, says Pohl, they found that renovating the dining areas in Shelton Hall, Myles Standish Hall, and the Towers would be more expensive than building a new facility. So officials decided to combine the three major services under one roof, and locate that roof at 100 Bay State Road, on the corner of Deerfield Street, a space that is now a parking lot.

Gary Nicksa, vice president of operations, says the architects worked hard to design a building that would suit the two different neighborhoods that the center will bridge ? one historic, the other modern. The result is a structure whose Bay State Road side will be brick and stand three stories tall, while the Kenmore side will have a modern fa?ade and be six stories tall. Nicksa says the University will not borrow money or fundraise to cover the center?s construction cost.

The center?s first two floors will be dedicated to dining facilities, with a basement level cash-and-carry caf?. Much like West Campus dining, food will be prepared in front of students. Elmore says that while the shift of dining halls from dorms to a central location will inconvenience some students, he thinks most of them will find the new facility a ?good responsive space.

Dormitory dining halls will probably be converted to study lounges and common rooms.

The center?s middle floors will be home to first and second-year advising services for the College of Arts & Sciences, and the fifth and sixth floors will house the Educational Resource Center, now on the GSU?s fourth floor, and Career Services, now at 19 Deerfield St. Their current locations will likely become additional space for student groups and offices.

Pohl says the move is designed to fulfill a growing need. The ERC, which offers tutoring, language group discussions, and writing and reading workshops, expanded from 47 full-time and student employees in fall 2004 to 439 by fall 2008, and the University plans to continue to boost staff at the two centers to meet demand. Both centers are open to undergraduate and graduate students from all schools and colleges.

Officials hope the new facility, where students can find help choosing a major, receive career counseling, and meet potential employers during job fairs, will draw students early in their college careers.

Ideally, says Pohl, the two centers work in tandem. Students who use ERC tutors often find themselves struggling in their majors. As well as helping them academically, tutors can refer students to Career Services to explore other fields that fit their talents and interests.

?We?re thinking about the student more holistically,? says Denise Mooney, associate vice president for enrollment and student affairs and associate dean of students. ?All areas help to support students in their success here, and that?s going to pay off for them in the future.?

Leslie Friday can be reached at lfriday@bu.edu; follow her on Twitter @lesliefriday.

Okay, somebody tell me how do NIMBYs kill/block projects for years, because of all possible projects, I want an NIMBY to kill this one. I believe that cost of losing the dining halls of Shelton, Miles, and Towers outweigh the gains of a new dining hall.

Okay, somebody tell me how do NIMBYs kill/block projects for years, because of all possible projects, I want an NIMBY to kill this one. I believe that cost of losing the dining halls of Shelton, Miles, and Towers outweigh the gains of a new dining hall.

How so?

I'm glad to see this lot being built on. To my knowledge, it has never had a building since it was filled from Back Bay.

Looks a bit like a scaled-down Atelier 505.

Like anything else, the materials will make or break this project. In this regard, BU's record ranges from middling to piss-poor.

Is this going to extend all the way to Comm Ave, or will that lot remain?

Also, that lowrise portion in the rendering seems very clumsily scaled to me.

"Elmore says that while the shift of dining halls from dorms to a central location will inconvenience some students, he thinks most of them will find the new facility a ?good responsive space."

Actually Elmore, the fact that this has been in planning for 5+ years (as those who worked with dining services know) but was kept secret from the greater student body is not a coincidence. Most students do not want a central dining location. It means less options, longer lines, longer distances and more of a mass produced feel.

This is all calculated. Why do you all think this anouncement was saved for the week before finals? By the time september comes along, it's too late to complain.

Just like the decision to close the computer labs. It was kept a secret from the student body until it was leaked. The official announcement came just in time for summer break. Im just surprised they didnt save it from Friday at 4pm.

Of course, the unviersity gets to RAISE prices (it's a new building after all) while lowering costs (a shitload of dining employees will be fired)

Edit: Looks like the comments agree. No student wants this.

It is strictly and enrollment tool. It looks fantastic in tours, but not so great once you are a student.

So what will go into the dinning halls being axed?

according the to article, it will be converted into study lounges and common spaces.

Is this going to extend all the way to Comm Ave, or will that lot remain?

Also, that lowrise portion in the rendering seems very clumsily scaled to me.

The lowrise section is in scale with it's neighbors -- which are about 2-3 stories tall. Look just right of the new building in the rendering and you'll see it's neighbor (the Latin House, I think).

Last edited:

"Elmore says that while the shift of dining halls from dorms to a central location will inconvenience some students, he thinks most of them will find the new facility a ?good responsive space."

Actually Elmore, the fact that this has been in planning for 5+ years (as those who worked with dining services know) but was kept secret from the greater student body is not a coincidence. Most students do not want a central dining location. It means less options, longer lines, longer distances and more of a mass produced feel.

Let's be honest about this -- each of the dining halls being consolidated are small and within a block (or less) of the new dining hall. So, sure, it'll inconvenience some students who have to leave their dormitory for the new hall, but those dining halls are outdated, underused, and inefficient from a cost perspective. It's one thing to complain about cutting services, and it's another to actually know a thing or two about how to run a business (and a university). Not only can BU meet the demand of the average college student with an updated facility, they can do it efficiently and bring students together in one central space. I think you are being unnecessarily critical of what is actually a step in the right direction for a city university.

This is all calculated. Why do you all think this anouncement was saved for the week before finals? By the time september comes along, it's too late to complain.

Paranoia.

BU did not keep this a secret. I knew about this plan over a year ago. It's also total speculation that BU would lay off part of it's workforce. Logic tells me they are creating jobs with this expansion of facilities, not reducing.

Let's be honest about this -- each of the dining halls being consolidated are small and within a block (or less) of the new dining hall. So, sure, it'll inconvenience some students who have to leave their dormitory for the new hall, but those dining halls are outdated, underused, and inefficient from a cost perspective. It's one thing to complain about cutting services, and it's another to actually know a thing or two about how to run a business (and a university). Not only can BU meet the demand of the average college student with an updated facility, they can do it efficiently and bring students together in one central space. I think you are being unnecessarily critical of what is actually a step in the right direction for a city university.

Paranoia.

BU did not keep this a secret. I knew about this plan over a year ago. It's also total speculation that BU would lay off part of it's workforce. Logic tells me they are creating jobs with this expansion of facilities, not reducing.

The dining halls are 3 in three blocks. Each are at the base of a dormitory. The Myles building, holds 700 students and is also the home base for the 300 or so that live in Danielson and another 100 or so from bay state road. I wouldnt call a dining hall that feeds 1,000 students 3 times a day small. If I recall correctly, dinner is planned for 750 meals.

It wont inconvenience some students, it will inconvenience ALL students. Not a single student will be better off from the location of this new building than an existing dining hall.

"Know a thing or too about running a business"? Guess what, I worked in the dining hall. I looked at the financial statements, showing the cost of food and labor and the income.

Paranoia? I've known about this project for over 4 years. Yes, it was kept a secret from the greater student body. It is not by accident that the announcement came a week before finals, when students are too busy finishing essays and cramming to care about this issue. The announcement also came the day before the final issue of the daily free press. There will be no commentary by the editors, there will be no commentary in the letters section, and there will be no investigation into the timing of the announcement. Angry students will have no platform to show their displeasure.

By the time september comes, the shovels will be in the ground, 1/4 of the student body will be fresh, and thus detached from campus happenings, and any complaints will be too late.

Logic tells you that consolidating 3 dining halls into one will not reduce staffing? I'm afraid your logic is faulty.

Staff reduction also has the benefit of cutting operational costs.

Regarding the centralization of the three dining halls, I can't help but imagine it's a good solution. Of course, I'm not a BU student, but I would prefer to walk (even through Boston winters) to a larger, updated, centralized dining hall (akin to that in Sleeper) and study center than have an antiquated cafeteria in my basement. Considering BU is an urban university, I feel that it's important to have a centralized bastion of the campus within the neighborhood - something that according to what I've read, East Campus lacks.

While comparing BU to a large, campus-oriented state university isn't ideal, I like the way Mizzou organizes their dining halls. There are a few landmark locations, at each cluster of residence halls. These help attract students to central locations, forming "social centers of gravity." For convenience, there are specialty and small retail dining locations located within or adjacent to most dorms. At an urban school like BU, this might work by providing a primary dining center near each zone (East, West, etc.), while the specialty and retail functions closer to dorms are satisfied by the surrounding city amenities. Just a few thoughts.

Also, complaining that this does nothing but improve BU's tour perception isn't really a great argument. BU's national reputation is rising, and it's due in no small part to successful tours and capital projects like the dorms, StuVi, etc. National recognition helps every student, and even alumni.

All good points, Kennedy.

Regarding the actual architecture: so far I've liked the BU renovations, not sure if it was all Bruner/Cott, although I think they have been the architect all along. While the recent BU construction has been very safe and conservative, it's also been very pleasing to the eye. Of course, it'll depend on the materials used as always, but from the one rendering we've gotten so far, I'm optimistic. That lot on Bay State Road definitely deserves infill, and this seems like it will effectively connect the more commercial Commonwealth Ave. with the more residential Bay State Road.

I take it you reside in one of the affected dorms? As a former Myles Standish denizen, I yield the point. This plan will make dining in shorts and a tank top in February less feasible. But then again, all three of these dorms would benefit from a bit more 24 hour common space. There may be an improvement for student life in that respect.

Back