Boston02124

Reaction score
This is in Davis sq.
006-7.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Assembly Square Redevelopment

lol is that the flag of HELLAS?

This is a mixed-use building -- some residential, some office, retail on first floor.

It is replacing a former gas station (which most recently was an Enterprise rent-a-car) and a 3-story house next door on Cutter Ave. While Somerville generally frowns on demolishing old houses, in this case the benefit was considered to be worth it.

Good. Davis needs more development like this.

This belongs in some other thread, though.

awwwww.... the rosebud.... i used to walk past it all the time when both my best friend and my boyfriend of the time lived over there. Ive never been in, but have always wanted to.

My bad, I copied it wrong. Should be working now.

Good. Davis needs more development like this.

I'm happy with this because it replaces a vacant gas station, but I would not like to see existing commercial buildings demolished for more such development. Independent local businesses thrive in the current old one- and two-story buildings, creating a lively street life.

I'm happy with this because it replaces a vacant gas station, but I would not like to see existing commercial buildings demolished for more such development. Independent local businesses thrive in the current old one- and two-story buildings, creating a lively street life.

It's not like the square is getting West Ended; this is a gradual transformation. Davis is a heavy rail transit stop and needs more density. And as the new buildings age, they will start to support independent businesses as well, consistent with their context (see the Garage in Harvard Square for an example). So the occasional sacrifice of a one-story commercial building, no matter how interesting the tenants, is a worthwhile investment in the future - it's the best way Davis can bulk up without losing character.

We are acting our age; Ron said Davis should stay the way it is and doesn't want anything new coming in. That's a NIMBY. I think maybe you need to grow up and acknowledge this.

Thats not what he said at all. He comments were basically to the tune of "I'm glad they're building something over a gas station, but I wish they didn't have to tear down existing businesses to do it."

If he didn't want Davis to change, he'd be defending the existing gas station, wouldn't he? I know I'm new here, but whats with all the personal attacks? They seem to be in every single thread where people disagree on anything.

Davis has a number of parking lots (some public, some private) that can be developed without tearing down existing business buildings. Developers can also consider adding more floors to existing buildings (some of which used to be taller than they are now). That's the right way to improve and add density to Davis.

I was referring to local businesses, and second the motion that you take a reading comprehension lesson.

Back