Dorchester Infill and Small Developments

Boston02124

Reaction score
I saw this building on the train this morning, 1st time noticing it? On my way to Conn. later that morning I was able to take some pixs. Any one know what this is?I ride the train twice a day 5 times a week and I can't believe I've just noticed this today!!
003.jpg
004-1.jpg

Last edited:
Re: 93 South Dorchester

Can you be more specific about location?

The address is 750 Dorchester Avenue, South Boston. The building was formerly the Catholic Hospital's Laundry facility (ACH) and then since around 2001 it was the home of Dirigo Spice, who relocated from the corner of West Second and A Street in South Boston. The old Dirigo Spice facility is being turned into housing just now.

The Dorchester Avenue building is being redeveloped into a training center and office for the New England Regional Council of Carpenters. They chopped off a floor and are now going up.

The project has a web site with renderings at carpenterscenter.com.

Many people consider the location Dorchester, but the old Boston / Dorchester line is a few hundred feet to the south around Harvest Street.

Remind anyone of anything they have seen recently?

I drive by this every day to work and have been meaning to check out their website that they posted on a banner on the side facing Rt. 93: http://www.carpenterscenter.com/

"Upon completion, the new Carpenters Center will serve as the headquarters for the New England Regional Council of Carpenters, the Boston Carpenters Apprenticeship Program and other affiliated entities. The new headquarters will replace a suite of leased offices the union now does business out of in South Boston as well as current training facility located in Brighton."

There is a rendering here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/H-5XacwoDD14ByuDK0hDVw?authkey=EyGRj-qETAA&feat=embedwebsite

Going to be 70k sf....ADD, Inc. is the architect

Looks more like an Ironworkers hall.

Ah, that's better. Some wood. Looks nicer than the old laundry that was there. I see it has an electronic message board for political endorsements.

I see it has an electronic message board for political endorsements.

I think you're referring to the Electrical Workers building a little further south that also has the wind turbine nearby?

Last edited:

The Electricians certainly put that one to good (or active, anyway) use! No, I was referring to the projecting bit on the south side. The electricians will get them going home, the carpenters going in!

The Electricians certainly put that one to good (or active, anyway) use! No, I was referring to the projecting bit on the south side. The electricians will get them going home, the carpenters going in!
Oh, right, gotcha!

A building purpose built for Carpenter's Union which contains no real wood construction or finishing other than a faux gain on the exterior cladding. Anyone else see the irony in that?

Ironic, yes Lurker. Surprising, no. The Carpenters are constantly trying to expand the scope of work that goes to them (instead of laborers, iron workers, etc.). All the trades get in little pissing matches about this stuff. So I'm sure the Carpenters are happy to show that they can do all the concrete framing, facade work, fenestrations, etc.

Re: 93 South

something else along 93 south
014-29.jpg

This was the site of the gas station at South Bay Shopping Center. It is going to be a T-Mobile store, along with some other tenants, and probably offices on the top floor.

Great story about this site - the owner asked if he could put a billboard up. The site faces the highway, and is not within viewing distance of any possible home or nieghborhood - it is completely surrounded by retail and industrial uses. The billboard would have been valuable, and garnered the city and state good money.

The city said no.

Two sites down, the Carpenter's Union building sits among triple-decker homes in a residential neighborhood, fronting 93.

It was allowed to be built with a humungous, massive, Las Vegas-style television screen to display political commercials and other important public service messages from the union. The city does not get advertising tax revenue from this billboard.

On this site, the city said yes.

Corruption or just the rules of playing in Boston?

A billboard on the building or a billboard tower?

Back