Future Luxury Hotels in Boston

NJBostonFan

Reaction score
Now that we have a Mandarin Oriental and The Fairmont Battery Wharf, where would be a good location in Boston for the following luxury hotel chains:

St. Regis

The Plaza

Waldorf Astoria

Park Hyatt

Jumeirah

Peninsula

Please share your ideas. By the way, I think a good location for a Waldorf Astoria Boston would be the Pier 4 Development.

Pardon for asking but... why? Do we really need more luxury hotels? I say we as a more general we referring to urban dwellers. The few cities in America left that are still good to live in are already becoming tourist hot spots for the uber-wealthy. Do we really want MORE of that? There is a developer in NYC who has been both cheered and loathed for putting up cookie-cutter affordable hotels around town but they serve a good market.

I guess you could argue that luxury hotels also serve a market, a market with lots of money to spend, but then I feel like the more rich tourists in town the more working people feel pushed out.

Well, Boston's expanding. I'm not suggesting we saturate the city with luxury hotels, but just add some. Besides, I'm pretty sure that these hotels will probably be opened 5 or 6 years from now. The Plaza is just in the early stages of expanding outside New York, Jumeirah won't be coming to Boston anytime soon, and Peninsula might not happen just yet. But Waldorf Astoria has several properties planned throughout the world for expansion and over the past year, has recently opened hotels in Orlando, Park City, and Shanghai. St. Regis is a well established hotel brand, and can support a hotel in Boston. Ditto Park Hyatt. In fact, would a Park Hyatt work well in the Back Bay on the sight of the Midtown Motel or as part of the proposed Government Center Garage redevelopment?

Where do the Ritz-Carlton and Four Seasons brands stand in comparison to those other chains? (Also, the Fairmont Copley Square?)

An obvious location for a high-end hotel would be on the Greenway but would a developer make any money on a 150-200' tower solely built as a hotel? The space behind James Hook Lobster might make sense although height restrictions there might exclude anything taller than the InterContinental, down the street.

The idea of the Waldorf=Astoria brand expanding depresses me. I like the idea of exclusivity and am willing to pay for it. If I can stay at a Waldorf anywhere, it loses its cache. Perhaps ditto The Plaza.

Where do the Ritz-Carlton and Four Seasons brands stand in comparison to those other chains? (Also, the Fairmont Copley Square?)

They are on the same level as those chains. You forgot to mention the Mandarin Oriental as well!

The idea of the Waldorf=Astoria brand expanding depresses me. I like the idea of exclusivity and am willing to pay for it. If I can stay at a Waldorf anywhere, it loses its cache. Perhaps ditto The Plaza.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news John, but the Waldorf=Astoria is expanding and Boston is on the list of future hotels. They've already opened in Orlando, Park City, and Shanghai. Berlin is next after Shanghai, followed by Jerusalem, Beijing, Montreal, and Beverly Hills. Hotels are also planned for Sarasota, Chicago, and Philadelphia though the projects in the states are on hold due to the economic crisis.

By 2014-2016 however, expect to see a Waldorf=Astoria Boston Pier 4.

Last edited:
The Waldorf is really Hilton.
The St Regis is Starwood.
Park Hyatt is not big in North America; only two Park Hyatt hotels in the U.S.
The Plaza is Fairmont.

The Waldorf is really Hilton.
The St Regis is Starwood.
Park Hyatt is not big in North America; only two Park Hyatt hotels in the U.S.
The Plaza is Fairmont.

Hilton isn't in the Seaport District and The Waldorf would fit well on Pier 4. Bring a little luxury.

Park Hyatt has 5 locations in North America, which are San Diego, Philadelphia, Toronto, Beaver Creek, and Washington D.C.. New York City will be getting one as part of the Carnegie 57 Development.

Once again, The Plaza won't be opening in Boston anytime soon. And its no longer managed by Fairmont!

Though not a traditional luxury brand, I'd love to see a Standard in Boston or Cambridge.

Hilton isn't in the Seaport District and The Waldorf would fit well on Pier 4. Bring a little luxury.

Park Hyatt has 5 locations in North America, which are San Diego, Philadelphia, Toronto, Beaver Creek, and Washington D.C.. New York City will be getting one as part of the Carnegie 57 Development.

Once again, The Plaza won't be opening in Boston anytime soon. And its no longer managed by Fairmont!

Re: The Plaza
http://www.fairmont.com/theplaza

Re; Park Hyatt
resort in Carlsbad CA
hotels in Chicago and Washington DC
http://www.hyatt.com/hyatt/features...51402F96AACE.atg02-prd-atg1?type=clear&N=109#

Carnegie 57 seems to be having financing problems.

I'd prefer it if Boston landed some of the more business class oriented hotels similar to Nine Zero. I've stayed in the Grand Bohemian Hotel in Savannah and downtown Orlando, they have a particularly interesting bar/restaurant scene which could work well in Boston:

http://www.grandbohemianhotel.com/portfolio.asp

We don't have great hotel bars.

Last edited:
We don't have great hotel bars.

I haven't been to orlando or savannah recently, but I think Boston has it's share of hotel bars. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking of the woodward, Bond, Oak Room, W, Intercontinental, Liberty Hotel etc.

Maybe i misinterpreted, when you said Boston needs more business class orientated hotels and more great hotel bars, can you elaborate as to what characteristics this entails? When I think of bars situated in "business class orientated hotels" I'm thinking your typically watered down restaurant and bar atmosphere. If your a business hotel, you've got to appeal to middle age businessmen from Witchita, Grand Rapids as well as those from Manhattan. It's often the lowest common denominator in such venues, especially compared to establishments in situated in boutique hotels.

Back