Happy 100th Birthday, Paul Rudolph!

I was standing @Merrimac and Causeway the other day... the Lindemann (what I call it, given my relationship with it) is just such a breathtaking thing... especially from that angle. If the front door to all those stairs wasn't a parking lot, it would be even more so.

On a similar note, amidst all the noise and velocity and bustle of Federal St., to pause and stare up at 133 Fed. from its plaza--set amongst the unrelieved sterile tedium of the giant cold mortuary slabs that are 100 Fed & 101 Fed, etc.--is a never-ending exercise in awe and amazement. 133 Fed's mere presence amongst all that bland compromise--those profit boxes--says something: "Avant-garde design can exist--nay, it can thrive!"

Good for him! That said, the Lindemann building is the worst building in Boston save for the Government Center garage, which is going away.

That cement piece of crap (LB) cant get torn down fast enough, imo.

Out in fantasy land and got to take in this exhibit today. This guy was STELLAR with a small canvas.

ETA: This exhibition is being staged in an block-size empty foundation hole in between two downtown parking garages. You head into the sublevel of one of the parking garages and walk through a side door, and you're 15 feet below street level touring this 24-by-24 masterpiece in a cavernous space soon to be filled by high-end condos, which I imagine will be quite a bit less than masterpieces when completed -- the format not really lending itself to notoriety as has been discussed here at length. It's quite an experience, not to be missed if you find yourself out this way in the next year or so.

Last edited:

Back