Indoor Foot Bridge from Seaport District

Divot

Reaction score
I think an indoor heated/AC'd bridge from the Seaport District to the Financial District would be nice... Can someone get on this please?

Thanks,
Divot

Ok, we'll start construction on it tomorrow.
We are also thinking of adding a Chili's, a TGIF, a Spenser's Gift Shop and an Orange Julius so we can complete the suburban mall motif.

Ok, we'll start construction on it tomorrow.
We are also thinking of adding a Chili's, a TGIF, a Spenser's Gift Shop and an Orange Julius so we can complete the suburban mall motif.

You can make it as "old world" as you want... but for the seaport to turn into a thriving area it's going to have to be more connected to Downtown. The silverline doesn't do much for me.

Granted, the old Northern Av Bridge needs a lot of work but I can make from the Seaport area to P.O. Square in 10-15 minutes by foot.
The financial district and the Seaport are actually quite close. It is the no-man land of parking lots that make it seem like an eternity. Once they get filled-in the existing bridges will serve quite well.

Hopefully by then there will be more buses serving that area instead of just the Silver Line.

I think an indoor heated/AC'd bridge from the Seaport District to the Financial District would be nice... Can someone get on this please?

Thanks,
Divot

Its been done... I'm thinking weather proof bubble over the entire district

The 4,6,7,171,448, and 449 busses are non-Silverline busses servicing the Seaport.

As for a walkway protected from the weather? I don't know. I hope not. Weather and light are a part of the equation in experiencing any part of the city. I can experience a hallway lots of places.

The idea brings to mind Copley and the triangle between the Mall, Library, and Pru. It is a place to get through, not a place to experience. And at street level is nothing I would consider vibrant.

The last thing I would like is for the Waterfront to be handed over in a similar manner. Considering the wonderful Harborwalk, this would seem counter intuitive. Although an alternative, it could easily be leverage for apathy in favor of less considerate development.

I enjoy walking across the bridge open to the elements on my way to and from work....reminds me that I live in a city on the ocean.

I enjoy walking across the bridge open to the elements on my way to and from work....reminds me that I live in a city on the ocean.

If there were such an enclosed footbridge, I would bet that in the dead of winter, with the wind blowing in off the ocean, you would be the only one walking on the open sidewalk with everyone else walking inside the enclosed passageway.

The Old Northern Avenue bridge is wide enough that it might make sense to have both -- keep the current open-air pedestrian lane where it is now, but put a roof over the next, now-closed section.

However, the fact that it's still an operable swing bridge probably makes this hard to do.

Last edited:

Back