iphones and potholes

sidewalks

Reaction score
I just wanted to pass along a positive story about infrastructure, technology and the city...

Yesterday morning, as I walked to get my morning coffee in the South End, I noticed that a pothole that surrounded a manhole cover on Berkeley Street had grown significantly larger. As I sat in the cafe reading the morning Globe I looked over the Mayor's innaugural address in which he talked about the potential of technology to improve city services. I had recently downloaded Citizens Connect on my iphone and decided I would give it a try. As I left the cafe I took a picture of the pothole and passed along a message to the DPW with the assistance of the app.

Amazingly, I returned from work yesterday evening to find that the pothole had been filled with fresh asphalt. I can't be sure that the city had not already planned to make that repair, but the coincidence would be unlikely. Either way, it was a surprising and pleasant experience.

Quick! Someone send a picture of the Filene's site and send it in!

This sounds like it will be useful for about 2.5 minutes.

In the late 90s the mayor personally answered citizens' emails...we all know how that's held up.

how about an app where i can report cars illegally parked for them to come ticket and/or tow? think of the revenue that would generate, not to mention job creation in the traffic enforcement industry.

I know drivers would hate it, but installing cameras at traffic signals brings in millions upon millions in revenue for greater St. Louis. I like the illegally parked cars idea, too.

I know drivers would hate it, but installing cameras at traffic signals brings in millions upon millions in revenue for greater St. Louis. I like the illegally parked cars idea, too.

I don't know about the system in St. Louis, but this is often done by private companies who are paid according to the number of tickets issued. They are for some reason permitted to mess with the timing of the lights, which while increasing revenue, obviously has the "side effect" of decreasing safety.

Not to say this couldn't be done in a way that would be fair and actually increase safety, if we are willing to accept having the cameras there.

that's a bridge too far...we've got enough big brother type intrusions into everyday life. This should be a tool to improve civic life, not create a stasi like shadow state of informants who turn in some poor guy who is ten minutes past the meter limit.

I was thinking more of the assholes that constantly park in the crosswalk at the end of my street

I don't know about the system in St. Louis, but this is often done by private companies who are paid according to the number of tickets issued. They are for some reason permitted to mess with the timing of the lights, which while increasing revenue, obviously has the "side effect" of decreasing safety.

Not to say this couldn't be done in a way that would be fair and actually increase safety, if we are willing to accept having the cameras there.

Youve been reading too much false information by people who dislike the cameras.

Tinkering with the timing of lights is impossible. There are federal standards for the length of the yellow light based on number of lanes, width of intersection and speed limit.

What has happened, is that when a camera is installed, the engineers, already on site, fix the timing which may have drifted over the years. Thus, residents associate the change with the cameras, when really, the light is simply being brought up to code.

The only problem with the cameras is the inability to discern when passing through a yellow light turning to red is actually safer. If you're in the intersection when that red light hits, you get a ticket. Even if braking beforehand would've increased the likeliness of the car behind hitting you.

The only problem with the cameras is the inability to discern when passing through a yellow light turning to red is actually safer. If you're in the intersection when that red light hits, you get a ticket. Even if braking beforehand would've increased the likeliness of the car behind hitting you.

Thats not true. If youre IN the intersection already, you dont get a ticket, only if you pass the white stop line after it turns red.

Local law can also mediate when the camera starts to function. A city could dictate that the camera only turn on once the cross traffic gets green (usually 1-2 seconds after the red comes on)

Ive never understood opposition to these cameras. The most common complaint I see is "another excuse to tax the poor residents!".

I didnt realzie breaking the law was so protected.

Thats not true. If youre IN the intersection already, you dont get a ticket, only if you pass the white stop line after it turns red.

I think that's probably how it's supposed to work, and I'm totally in favor of it. But try telling that to my insurance company, my bank account, and the St. Louis County Police department.

My only problem with these cameras is just my general anti-orwellian, "More camera are bad" philosophy. But that is a losing battle. :(

Youve been reading too much false information by people who dislike the cameras.

Tinkering with the timing of lights is impossible. There are federal standards for the length of the yellow light based on number of lanes, width of intersection and speed limit.

What has happened, is that when a camera is installed, the engineers, already on site, fix the timing which may have drifted over the years. Thus, residents associate the change with the cameras, when really, the light is simply being brought up to code.

Or perhaps you've been reading too much false information by people who like the cameras.

Do you have a source? I'm unable to find anything stating that there are federal standards regulating light timing in the United States. A quick google search will show a number of articles about timings being manipulated (from newspapers and network news sites, not random blogs) to increase revenue and a number of resulting lawsuits.

For the record, I have no problem with these cameras (if timing manipulation free, of course) from a "tax" standpoint. It's a great tax. It raises money by taxing those who are breaking the law and making the roads less safe. I'd recommend a steep raise in the fine. I do have reservations similar to Statler's, however.

Back