Look What They Found in Antarctica!

P

Patrick

antarcticameteor135.jpg

Planetary scientists have found evidence of a meteor impact much larger and earlier than the one that killed the dinosaurs--an impact they believe caused the biggest mass extinction in Earth's history.

The 300-mile-wide crater lies hidden more than a mile beneath the East Antarctic Ice Sheet. The gravity measurements that reveal its existence suggest that it could date back about 250 million years, the time of the Permian-Triassic extinction, when almost all animal life on Earth died out.

Its size and location--in the Wilkes Land region of East Antarctica, south of Australia--also suggest that it could have begun the breakup of the Gondwana supercontinent by creating the tectonic rift that pushed Australia northward. The image above shows the thickness of the Earth's crust across Antarctica with thicker crust colored in red. The location of the Wilkes Land crater is circled (below right of center).

The gargantuan crater is more than twice as large as the crater in the Yucatan peninsula formed by the meteor that is thought to have killed the dinosaurs some 65 million years ago. "This Wilkes Land impact is much bigger than the impact that killed the dinosaurs, and probably would have caused catastrophic damage at the time," said Ralph von Frese, a professor of geological sciences at The Ohio State University in Columbus, who along with a team from NASA and international partners in Russia and Korea, discovered the crater.

How did they find the crater when it's covered by ice and snow? The scientists used gravity fluctuations measured by NASA's GRACE satellites to peer beneath Antarctica's icy surface and discovered a 200-mile-wide plug of mantle material--a mass concentration, or "mascon" in geological parlance--that had risen up into the Earth's crust. Mascons are the planetary equivalent of a bump on the head. They form where large objects slam into a planet's surface. Upon impact, the denser mantle layer bounces up into the overlying crust, which holds it in place beneath the crater. When the scientists overlaid their gravity image with airborne radar images of the ground beneath the ice, they found the mascon perfectly centered inside a circular ridge some 300 miles wide--a crater easily large enough to hold the state of Ohio.

But out of death comes life. The impact would have utterly devastated life on Earth. "All the environmental changes that would have resulted from the impact would have created a highly caustic environment that was really hard to endure. So it makes sense that a lot of life went extinct at that time," said von Frese. Still, scientists believe that the cataclysmic extinction caused by the meteor smashing into Antarctica paved the way for the dinosaurs to rise to prominence.

That's really cool. 8)

What was your source? Could you provide a link? (A good habit to get into!)

Patrick, you probably have some sort of Trojan affecting the performance of IE and Firefox. I suggest using Webroot SpySweeper it is one of the best spyware/malware/trojan removers out there. It will clean and remove everything.

Patrick said:
I use netscape as my browser because explorer and mozilla are both infected with viruses

Mozilla can't be infected ith a virus.

and so i have to see what is on netscape.com home page every day

until you change your default home page to something else, or to "blank page".

ZenZen said:
Patrick, you probably have some sort of Trojan affecting the performance of IE and Firefox. I suggest using Webroot SpySweeper it is one of the best spyware/malware/trojan removers out there. It will clean and remove everything.

Thanks for the info. My computer turns 4 this month, so I might just trash it and get a new one for school next year. Netscape works fine for now I guess, but until I downloaded it even checking my e-mail was a pain because mozilla and explorer both took FOREVER to even load a homepage. and if a pop up came up it was all over.

Ron, mozilla has to be infected with a virus of some sort, because what else could explain its terrible performance, which arose out of the blue?

also, i didnt mean i 'have to' see whats on netscape.com in a negative way, i rather like its stories, i just meant that i see them whenever i sign on. netscape.com is to the internet what usa today is to the newspaper world.

Re

For those of you who where infected by the Dan Brown bug a few years ago and read his works prior to the DaVinci Code, you'll this is amazingly similar to his book "Deception Point" and will sadly probably provoke a poorly made movie if this crater makes headlines.

But in this book, its about how NASA's growing uselessness in a world where privatized space travel would be a much less debting and much more efficient practice is debunked by the discovery of a massive crater in the arctic that holds information regarding the birth and extinction of life on Earth and is buried very very far beneath the ice.

I don't want to say much more ruining the novel for those that may be interested, but that run on sentence ought give you the jist.

The book changes very quickly and actually gets pretty interesting and intriguing on its view of politics and business in America.

A farce, but probably Dan Browns best novel.

And this may come with some interesting developments if we can research the crater more closely.

DudeUrSistersHot said:
Patrick said:
ZenZen said:
netscape.com is to the internet what usa today is to the newspaper world.

ummm... No.

explain.

USA Today is a newspaper with dramatic stories that appeal to people's emotions and need for entertainment...it provides you with what academics would refer to as "infotainment"...its the Television of the printed world, if you will.

Netscape.com takes at least half of their front page stories from Askmen.com, which routinely runs articles about which "babe" is hotter and things like "finding an aliens head in a disected duck" (I didnt make that one up).

So you tell me, where is the difference, and why is my anaolgy incorrect? You do understand analogous comparisons, dont you oh great one?

Back