Repurposed projects

stick n move

Superstar
Reaction score
I was gonna make this have its own thread, but a general thread for repurposed projects around the world/us would be pretty cool.

Anyways Paris is going to repurpose an abandoned subway station as an underground bar on one level and a market below that. Kind of cool when your eating or shopping the trains will be going by so its something to look at. I was thinking that could be loud but they use a lot of rubber tire metro systems here.

Anyways.

03-pers-RP2-SAME-architectes.jpg

04-pers-RP2-SAME-architectes.jpg

05-pers-RP2-SAME-architectes.jpg

06-pers-RP2-SAME-architectes.jpg

DBjo-Q0-DXo-AAxoy7.jpg

Great to see something that would have went to waste be turned into an outside the box concept like this.

While that certainly looks beautiful I question how pleasant it will be to have trains wiz by ever couple minutes as you are trying to talk.

I was lucky enough to take a tour of the abandoned City Hall station in NYC this summer. It was the jewel of the subway when it was first built but due to being on a sharp curve (and steps away from a larger station) it was eventually abandoned. When I talk to people about it they often wish that it could be converted into something public like this Paris proposal. I will tell you that's impossible. The curve is so sharp that when the trains come through it is deafening. Not just loud, deafening. The tour is given on headsets and even these are inaudible when trains pass.

So while it is a shame these beautiful stations go abandoned, it is often wishful thinking that they can be the next High Line.

The juxtaposition of the elegant glass and stonework against the rough cut gravel and tracks is amazing. It's a shame none of our lines are entirely underground/contained (or that we can put this anywhere). The glass and stone would lose its appeal in a few months with salt, dirt, and general pollution...

Back