Shanghai/Beijing

Lrfox

Reaction score
I'm heading to Shanghai (4 days) and Beijing (5 days) at the end of March, early April. I've never been before and I know a lot of you have either lived there or spent some time over there and I was hoping to get some ideas on what to do in my free time from fellow architecture/urban planning geeks. I like to photograph architecture, city and landscapes too so any suggestions along those lines would be great as well. Finally, food recommendations. I'm not a "foodie" as I think that's one of the most obnoxious titles someone can give themselves, but I am adventurous and like anything ranging from street cart food to high end dining. Most of the people with me will be sticking to hotel lobby bars and food, so I'll likely be eating alone if that makes any difference. Thanks!

-Jon

*edited to add*
I'm skipping out on the company shuttle from the airport (Pudong) to the hotel simply to ride the Maglev. Worth it? I feel like I'd be upset if I missed out on that.

I also plan on checking out some hutong neighborhoods in Beijing. I don't know where to begin, but I've been told that's sort of the point... just wander in and explore.

I've heard mention of "water towns" near Shanghai? Is this true and are they worth visiting? Any time someone says something is the "Venice of _______" I'm skeptical. I've heard Lowell mentioned as the Venice of N. America so that means nothing to me.

I don't have extensive experience with these places but here are a couple suggestions:

- In Beijing, seek out the hutongs spreading northwest from the Gulou (Old Bell Tower, north of the Forbidden City) along the lakes. They're "gentrified" but it's increasingly difficult to find others that aren't being aggressively remodeled.

- In Shanghai, see the Old City, which has one of the most remarkable streetlife scenes I've ever witnessed: people showering in the street, whole families sitting down to dinner there, etc. Will probably be more muted in the colder months but still worth checking out for how radically different this is from the increasingly slick nature of the rest of the city. Here's a little taste:
http://www.urbanphoto.net/blog/2012/02/17/the-unsquared-circle-of-old-shanghai/

Thanks. I had no idea where to start with the hutongs. People have told me they're rapidly disappearing and that some are better than others so it'll be nice to have a starting point.

Those photos of Shanghai are exactly what I'm looking for. It looks like it won't be hard to get there either.

Holl's Linked Hybrid is in Beijing, opened 2009. http://www.archdaily.com/34302/linked-hybrid-steven-holl-architects/

Pretty much Simmons Hall on steroids.

1252359914-steven-holl-lh-09-06-8692-528x348.jpg

Back