Skyscraper thread

stick n move

Reaction score
Worlds best, personal favorite, disliked, era changing, best example of architectural style, unique, future, u/c, demo’d... etc tower thread.

One of my favorite new towers in America is 181 Fremont. This is perfection in my eyes.

My favorite/most underrated in Boston 60 state st

Easily one of the nicest and most underrated towers in New England, the westin residences Providence

Biggest mistake of 21st century skyscrapers: chopping 200ft off tower verre and getting approved... 1 year before a mega boom in nyc takes off bringing supertalls all over the city.

This

Was cut down to this

Smh...

stick n move

Reaction score
Wonderful towers going up in Toronto. The Harbour Plaza Residences:

Yiiiikes

Toronto is BEYOND blue glass capacity, so these look great on the skyline... but damn that base is bad.

DrFreewind

Reaction score
Greenland Center in Wuhan, China

One of my favorite projects when I first started browsing skyscrapercity. Proposed height of 636m. Basically they constructed this up to just under 500m and then the Chinese government came over and said that the max height is 500m due to flight paths. Apparently no one bothered to check when they put the plans together.
So what could have been an iconic skyscraper will now be capped off 136m short.

stick n move

Reaction score
One of my favorite projects when I first started browsing skyscrapercity. Proposed height of 636m. Basically they constructed this up to just under 500m and then the Chinese government came over and said that the max height is 500m due to flight paths. Apparently no one bothered to check when they put the plans together.
So what could have been an iconic skyscraper will now be capped off 136m short.
Lol thats crazy as hell

stick n move

Reaction score
Very interesting article in the NYTimes about the evolution of NYC's skyline.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/05/realestate/new-york-citys-evolving-skyline.html
I love the old shots. Even in the 30 NYCs skyline was filled out, just in a different way. Every lot was filled in all the way back then. The skyline was substantial in a different way where there were no background buildings, every tower was something special and permanent and there was lots of them. Everything was something new back then.

Last edited:

stick n move

Reaction score
Antilia, the personal skyscraper “mansion” for a billionaire and his wife + staff in Mumbai. Craaazy.

Now thats next level shit..

The front gate

Dining room

One of the balconies

Living room

Helipad

stick n move

Reaction score
Al Asmakh tower, Doha

In a city of cheesiness, I like this one. Idk why more middle eastern cities dont throw up a bunch of these vs the glassy precast all time gimmicky crap they do. This has the color of the sand around it so it looks like something built from homegrown materials. It looks local, very ornamental but understated at the same time. This “looks like” it belongs here, thats important, especially these days. Unfortunately this is a background building when it should have been a centerpiece along with their actual centerpiece doha tower with the ornamental facade that looks great too. They would have went great that way.

Its almost an art deco pru when I think about it

Its pretty simple, but effective

I think that would have been great next to doha tower... another tower that looks local and belongs. Its soo important for new cities that build fast to find their image. In the days of globalization its too easy to look like everywhere else. Its still possible, and I think they did it with these two, they just didnt use them right. Look at one vanderbuilt. Thats a 2019 nyc tower if Ive ever seen one. Nyc knows exactly who it is, but even new cities can too. Hell Bostons very old but even we decided that slanty roofs are our thing and thats gonna be what gives our glass towers their “thing” and I like it.

Note Al Asmakh tower is baaaarely visible trying to peek out on the left. So many missed opportunities in this world man...

Last edited:

odurandina

Reaction score
Worlds best, personal favorite, disliked, era changing, best example of architectural style, unique, future, u/c, demo’d... etc tower thread.

One of my favorite new towers in America is 181 Fremont. This is perfection in my eyes.

Nice to see such a hotbed of architecture.
Accordia would have been our 181 Freemont.
Alluding to your positivity from the other evening,
181 Freemont is almost the perfect shaped tower for you know....
Where it realistically, might be possible to go tall.