Subpar Cell Phone Reception

Coyote137

Reaction score
I suppose this could be considered an infrastructure issue, but I thought I'd put it here in General for now.

I've got AT&T for the time being, and reception is virtually non-existent at certain places around town, including here in parts of Brighton. I remember from my previous time living in Boston that reception was generally fairly bad. It also occurred to me that Menino had gone on a drive around town to test service in various neighborhoods at some point years ago.

After some searching, I found this: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4756347, as well as this: http://www.wickedlocal.com/roslindale/news/x902796887.

It doesn't seem like service has been all that much improved in the intervening eight years. I'm interested to hear other experiences. Have you seen improvement?

^This is why I get raped by verizon every month. The only place I've yet to get service is in the boonies of PA.

Even with Verizon, I noticed that my old apartment in Brighton I only got service in one corner of the living room (or on the balcony)...

And Verizon seems to have the worst subway coverage... pick your poison, I guess.

Even with Verizon, I noticed that my old apartment in Brighton I only got service in one corner of the living room (or on the balcony)...

And Verizon seems to have the worst subway coverage... pick your poison, I guess.

Verizon only has steady service in the 4 downtown hub stations because they refused to buy into the 3rd party service that is offered throughout the system. A few weeks ago they released a statement saying a deal had been reached and Verizon service would be available at more stations (but no specifics).

I switched from AT&T to T-mobile and the change has been mixed. It's now worse at home (where I have Wi-Fi anyway) but much better at the office. On the T it's fine. Plus I save $50/mo. My gf who has Sprint says she does not get good reception underground.

I found that my daily trips through kendall square are bogged down by slow speeds. It has improved but still not as good as it is in other areas of town.

I found that my daily trips through kendall square are bogged down by slow speeds. It has improved but still not as good as it is in other areas of town.

Kendall Sq has been a particular area of difficulty for cell service for a while now simply because there are too many people using massive amounts of data in that area all at the same time. A study was conducted a little while ago and that was what they found.

I find AT&T service to sub par in most of Cambridge. There has been an AT&T cell tower partially down on the Cambridge Watertown line for the last week. I can barely call anyone but they refunded $30 of my bill!

Back