Suggestions to change ArchBoston

kz1000ps

Reaction score
Should this project, and a couple of others, be moved to existing development? It's 100% finished and has been for a few months

Since when have we been moving finished projects out of this forum?

PS not that anyone asked, but I think the whole new development/existing development demarcation is completely unnecessary.

Re: The Clarendon

I did that for Trilogy and people flipped. I don't have a problem with it but I can see how it would trip up people. I kinda wish there was a better solution. The wiki could have served that purpose but not enough people were willing to put in the work. I'm going to keep it where it is unless there is some major consensus to move it.

....Completely Off Topic.....

I like the Wired New York system where buildings of any importance are all placed in the "Buildings & Architecture" subforum where they'll stay for all eternity, while projects of smaller consequence and developer-driven garbage are put in the "Real Estate" subforum. It too isn't a perfect setup, but I find it less confusing than here. And all the stuff like Picture of the Day, Old Signs, Skyline Shots... all those picture threads should go in a dedicated pictures subforum.

PS: isn't "new development" redundant and "existing development" an oxymoron?

I did that for Trilogy and people flipped. I don't have a problem with it but I can see how it would trip up people. I kinda wish there was a better solution. The wiki could have served that purpose but not enough people were willing to put in the work. I'm going to keep it where it is unless there is some major consensus to move it.

I think the new development forum should have all announced, proposed, under construction and finished projects (for 6 months after occupation).

Then it can be moved to existing development.

Basically, I like seeing new pictures of existing buildings....but seeing a thread bumped in the "new development" forum makes me think there's some kind of news involved, not just another angle of a building that was completed a year ago.

It would also help make the new development forum less crowded so it's easier to find stuff under construction that isn't popular and gets forgotten.

Examples would include this project, 45 province, the W, the bryant....

I'm open to tweaking the way that the board is organized, but I don't want to be rash. People generally tend to get upset over even the slightest changes.

Maybe we should start a thread soliciting suggestions and try to come to some consensus?

Definitely, I share KZ's sentiment, and personally, I think a subforum dedicated to something like "Real Estate" and one to "Buildings and Architecture," "Photography" a la Wired would work much better. If that's too radical, then jass's idea is just as good, but might require more policing. Someone should start a thread in the Board Announcements section, I'll start one later tonight if someone hasn't already.

To recap for people: This thread started as a discussion to restructure the sub-forums to better deal with projects once they are full constructed (and therefore becoming "existing developments")

-----

I am throwing my hat into the "be like WiredNY" pool. I've always wanted a Photography section and I think that just having "New" and "Existing" creates too much of an overlap. But I think that "Architecture" and "Real Estate" are just different names for the same thing.

On the other hand I think what jass is proposing sets us up for waaaay too much confusion and too many similar threads popping up in different forums.

That said...

What about thread categories? When posting a new thread you would select a category, such as what jass is proposing, like "proposed", "under construction", "existing", etc. These of course can be changed when the status changes (maybe instead of calling them categories we call them statuses?). That way all development can go in one thread which can then be sorted with a click of a button. The other sub-forums we have would stay the same but could also have categories by which to sort.
I've seen this done on the NYC transit forums (http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/index.php) and they use the same software so I think we could just install a plugin.

Thoughts?

How about tags? I know its possible on vBulletin and you'll just need to tag search to find projects in that category, but won't change the format in a way that inconveniences people who like the current format. Of course people will need to be active in adding and deleting tags when the project status changes

The tags idea is a good one. My hesitation about dedicated photography threads is that most of the comments about the subject itself would end up in that thread, when they'd probably be more relevant to the project thread. Comments on the photography section would, ideally, presumably be only about the photography a la "was that photoshopped? What lens did you use?" etc - but I don't think that would happen. I know we have some dedicated photographers here, but perhaps not enough to justify that.

As a very random thought, has anyone thought about hosting forum content like this on google wave?

My thought on a photography forum would that it wouldn't be for specific projects but more for general photography, around town and different cities. Anything pertaining to a project would stay in the project thread.

My thought on a photography forum would that it wouldn't be for specific projects but more for general photography, around town and different cities. Anything pertaining to a project would stay in the project thread.

Yes I agree.

I'm not a huge fan of ""Real Estate" and "Buildings and Architecture".

I like having a forum for new stuff under construction, and everything else.

One thing I really, really do NOT want to see is splitting it up into lots of little forums. Ie: Proposed, UC, Stalled, Just finished etc.

/\ That's why I think a tagging or category element would work better. That way all development will be in one place but can easily be sorted.

I'd like to make some suggestions for better organizing our "Greater New England" threads. I think it's great that we have these little groups that track projects and record the history of Portland and Manchester, etc, but the forum is a bit disorganized and some threads are rather cramped with slews of projects in them. I think it would be great to have subforums in the Greater New England forum such as:

-Merrimack Valley (all things Haverhill, Lawrence, Lowell)
-NH Merrimack Valley (Nashua, Manchester, Concord)
-Greater Portland (Biddeford to Brunswick)
-South Coast (Providence, Fall River, New Bedford)
-Metrowest (Fitchburg, Worcester)

I'm not sure it gets enough traffic to justify this, but if it were divided I think it would be preferable to just subdivide by state, with a few regional forums for Mass. (Southcoast, Merrimack, Worcester & West), and then an overflow forum for whatever doesn't fit.

Eh, that works too, it would basically be the same since not much else is ever posted than as I mentioned it. Only difference is Providence would go under Rhode Island instead of the MA's South Coast section.

Either way sounds good to me.

Back