The Clarendon

Status
Not open for further replies.

quadratdackel

Reaction score
At Clarendon St & Stuart St, Back Bay, a stone's throw from the Hancock & Columbus Center. To be "299 rental and ownership units, a restaurant and a new Back Bay post office" link- BRA

Any word on this project? Emporis & the BRA say nothing other than it's approved.

...I will admit that sometimes, when I'm feeling down, I look at these images on the wiki, and then I feel better. Gateway Center would too if it wasn't so much of a pipe dream.

97-Clarendon.jpg

Clare-05-Q.jpg

It's not the tallest building or the flashiest building, but it is pretty tall and pretty, er, pretty, at least in my opinion.

Am I looking at this backwards, or are the two pictures inverses of each other? I thought that the first sketch was taken from a person standing at the corner of the Hancock Tower looking at the two new buildings. But if that were the case, one of the two sketches has the building backwards

Looking at it again, and Tetris Champion that I am, I can tell that they probably reversed the building's direction. If you look at the "L" shape of the building, you'll see that it is impossible for the buildings in both pictures to be the "same" building

Unless there is a mid-level bump on the other side that is unseen on the second picture

But even so, there is no street on the back, making the first sketch impossible anyway.

I don't have the papers here to pull quotes, but the Back Bay Sun & Boston Courant are reporting progress in The Clarendon in the form of unanimous votes in favor of the project, neighborhood support, etc. I don't remember any construction schedules, but at least we know that this project is moving forward without hindrance. The only news online I could find is:
However, over in the Back Bay, builder Robert Beal said yesterday (August 30) he hopes to break ground this fall on the Clarendon, a new condo, apartment and retail complex near the Hancock tower.
link

I believe one of our forum members is quoted in this article :cool:

Major projects changing neighborhood's landscape

By Ron DePasquale, Globe Correspondent | October 7, 2006

Before the massive $650 million Columbus Center project, proposed for over the Massachusetts Turnpike, gets out of the gate, several other major developments are already changing the neighborhood where the South End and Back Bay meet.

Three neighboring projects will remake a block of Columbus Avenue near the Back Bay MBTA station. One mixed-use project, a nine-story, 50-unit development known as the Bryant, is under construction.

Next door at 287 Columbus Ave., City Year will transform a century-old building into its new headquarters. And the old Red Cross building at 285 Columbus (City Year's current home) will be converted into 63 condos and 10,000 square feet of retail.

Meanwhile, across the Turnpike, the largest of the projects will break ground next month where a 1928 post office on Stuart Street, and a rare surface parking lot on the corner of Clarendon Street, are now located.

The new development, called the Clarendon, will boast 285 residential units, a two-story restaurant, and a post office. The neighboring building at 131 Clarendon St., which houses the Hard Rock Caf?, will also be refurbished.

``Boston is becoming more and more mixed-use all the time, and this is a great location for that," said Robert Beal , the president of the Beal Cos., which is co-developing the $200 million project with New York-based Related Cos. The building was designed by Robert A.M. Stern Architects and Childs Bertman Tseckares .

``We wanted a traditional Back Bay building with a strong brick orientation," said Beal.

The 32-story building will house 178 apartments, 107 condos, and 393 underground parking spaces. A restaurant and market will be owned and run by Related partner Kenneth Himmel, who developed Copley Place and owns and operates Grille 23 & Bar on Berkeley Street.

Back on Columbus Avenue, the Bryant will offer unique features -- 33 of its 50 condos will have three bedrooms, and, with no hallways, three elevators will open right outside the units. David Wasserman, principal of Wasserman Real Estate Capital of Providence, said the three-bedroom condos could work for families, people who work at home, or empty-nesters used to large spaces. ``This is how you take out the vagaries of market," he said. ``You think less about volume and more about what's an interesting sell, and what's not generally available."

The condos will be priced between $1.2 million and $2.8 million. They are being built on five sites Wasserman's firm purchased for $18 million last year. The building, designed by Neshamkin French Architects , will have a brick fa?ade and 83 underground parking spots, and is expected to be completed in 2008.

John A. Keith , a realtor and publisher of the Boston Real Estate Blog, said this block of Columbus Avenue is ``a bit dead" and would be enlivened by more businesses and residents. But, he said, ``not everybody has to live in the middle of something. That could be good for people from out of town or empty-nesters."

The Red Cross will move out of its Boston headquarters in November, and City Year will also move from the building in March. City Year's rehab of 287 Columbus Ave. will cost $2.5 million and will include a first-floor ``civic leadership" forum that can be used to host meetings of nonprofits.

The developers said the Red Cross building and other new developments nearby should be attractive to buyers because of their proximity to Back Bay station. The loft-style condos, which will cost between $500,000 and $2.5 million, are expected to be finished by the end of next year.

``I really like how the elegance of the Back Bay meets the edginess of South End here," said Curtis Kemeny , the president of Boston Residential Group, which purchased the Red Cross building for $17 million last year. Combined, he said, the projects will result in ``hundreds of millions of dollars of investments that will benefit the street and make a terrific neighborhood even better."

Ground-floor retail could include a furniture or a home goods store and a high-end restaurant, he said.

Vanessa Platacis , manager of the Nashoba Brook Bakery at 288 Columbus Ave., said that while she worried about how much construction and traffic the street could handle, the end result will energize the area.

``This will be a total rejuvenation that will really fuse the South End and the Back Bay, and make these four blocks much more dynamic," she said.

Link

Last edited:
In 02116, last of a long-known address
1928 post office to close doors

By Matt Viser, Globe Staff | November 5, 2006

The old doors squeak, the light is dim. An aged Please Enter Here sign is held together with a red rubber band. The Back Bay Post Office, open on Stuart Street since 1928, is one of those old places where little seems to change. Neighborhood longtimers are known by name. Office workers run in to its tiny Lobby Shop for coffee and sandwiches from Vernon Jones , who does a brisk business in gum and cigarettes and, occasionally, wisdom.

As the surrounding neighborhood sprouted the John Hancock Tower, a Hard Rock Cafe and a generation of trendy establishments serving a new downtown crowd, the Post Office was a rare constant. But it was probably inevitable that it, too, would finally be subjected to the forces of progress. The post office serving zip code 02116 will close its doors Friday as developers raze it for a new skyscraper.

The new building will include rental space for a new post office, but construction is expected to take nearly four years.

"We're very upset about it," said Ron Nicotera , 59, who has carried mail in the Back Bay for 35 years. "We've been here for many years."

The postal workers will be moved to the general mail facility at Fort Point, where they say they'll wear nametags, go through security checks, and work in the anonymity of a big building. Back Bay customers will have to get their stamps and send off their mail at a temporary post office opening Nov. 13 a few blocks away at Arlington and St. James streets, according to Robert Cannon, spokesman for the US Postal Service.

Both the temporary post office and the mail facility already have convenience stores, so Jones will look for another job.

"You greet people from all over in here," he said. "I'm going to miss that."

The 50 mail carriers whose routes cover the area will move to South Boston. After sorting the mail, a shuttle bus will take them to their routes.

Mail carriers say mail could run about 15 minutes later because they'll have to wait in traffic to get to their routes, rather than walk the short distances from the current location.

"The only good thing about all of this," Nicotera said, "is that there's a place to park our cars over there. Here, we're always getting tickets."

At times one day last month the Stuart Street post office had the buzz of a neighborhood coffeehouse. At other times, it was quiet as a library, the only sound coming from postal workers putting stamps on packages.

For some, this is merely the place where they buy stamps. For others, who take out their keys and hurry to open their postal box, it's part of a friendly routine of everyday life.

"You kinda get used to coming to the same place," said Jackie Gardner , who has had one of the 1,200 post office boxes for the past 20 years and said she would have to "train my feet" to go to the new location at Arlington and St. James. "There's some sort of comfort and security in knowing the same people are there. It's that little personal touch."

Others, though, said it would have little to do with their daily life, aside from walking a few extra blocks to drop off their mail.

"If it's for the betterment and growth of the city, it's a good thing," said Eric Kennedy , who stops in twice a week to drop of his mail and pick up some stamps.

When the new building is completed in about three and a half years, it will feel more like a shopping store than a post office, Cannon said, and will include new equipment, a large lobby, and an all-purpose kiosk. The 32-story development, called the Clarendon, will also include about 300 residential units, retail shops, and valet parking, and more than the 1,200 post office boxes in the current site.

"Post offices take a lot of wear," Cannon said. "They get old fairly fast, and [the current] building has shown it over the years."

Link

Last edited:
"If it's for the betterment and growth of the city, it's a good thing,"

Incredible! I never thought I would hear this kind of wisdom from the people of Boston, it makes too much sense!

lexicon506 said:
"If it's for the betterment and growth of the city, it's a good thing,"

Incredible! I never thought I would hear this kind of wisdom from the people of Boston, it makes too much sense!

I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way he does, they just don't quoted in the newspapers as often as the NIMBYs do.

The new building will include rental space for a new post office, but construction is expected to take nearly four years.

What??? Really? Maybe I am missing something, but didn't 33 Arch and 1 Lincoln take under 2 years for each?

I don't know when this project is going to start, but I walked by the site today and the parking lot is closed with construction fence up.

Great to hear the parking lot is finally closed down. I was by there earlier this week and it was still open.

Ron Newman said:
Is the building without windows being demolished? What was it?

That was the Post Office.

A scaffolding contractor was on site erecting some on the east facade today:

So is the historic building being demolished or recycled?

justin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back