The Colonial Theatre Reborn!

shmessy

Reaction score
http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/the...-open-doors/r0WgZOvCDfEOfluaiSx6eM/story.html

".......The improvements mark a dramatic turnaround for the Colonial, whose existence as a theater seemed threatened in the fall of 2015, when it was revealed Emerson was considering a plan to turn the building into a flexible college dining hall/performance space.

Emerson abandoned the plan after months of public outcry, striking the ATG deal in early 2017.

“It’s a game-changer for Emerson and the city,” said Emerson president Lee Pelton, who noted that the school would share in some of the theater’s revenues. “ATG’s commitment to renovating the Colonial has been extraordinary. Their renovations to date have exceeded our expectations.”

PEOPLE POWER!!!!!!!!!! How can anyone not start the week off with a smile after reading this?

Somewhere Ron Newman smiles

^ Indeed.

I did my grad-work at Emerson and found their initial plan for the Colonial to be utterly tone-deaf. Given their good stewardship of the Majestic and Paramount, I wrote to their Board of Trustees. I look forward to seeing this one in person.

I am a bit puzzled that the Globe's piece didn't make mention of the architects and restoration contractor.

^ Indeed.

I did my grad-work at Emerson and found their initial plan for the Colonial to be utterly tone-deaf. Given their good stewardship of the Majestic and Paramount, I wrote to their Board of Trustees. I look forward to seeing this one in person.

I am a bit puzzled that the Globe's piece didn't make mention of the architects and restoration contractor.

Good on you and everyone else who wrote letters to those involved, BB - - you made a difference! Thank you.

Something like this means just as much to VIBRANT city life as a 60 story tower......plus it helps differentiate Boston from the cookie cutter cities.

Emerson took a well-deserved beating in the press and the court of public opinion when their plans were first announced. I'm sure they heard from a lot of folks, most of them more qualified to comment authoritatively than I'll ever be.

But your sentiments are a reminder of the potential power of communities like ours. Beginning over a decade ago with the preservation fight for the Arlington Building, quite a few of us dropped our masks and went public. More recently, I think we had some influence on the re-redesign of 115 Winthrop Sq.

Advocating for better outcomes in the built environment is the best and highest use of our shared knowledge. My $0.02...

Back