Top 10 Reasons Boston Rocks

EdMc

Reaction score
From Biznow Boston, 16 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW THIS MORNING, May 25, 2016

This website has the 10 links below-
http://www.jllblog.com/boston/2016/05/24/top-10-reasons-boston-one-top-cities-us-world

Top 10 reasons Boston is one of the top cities in the US and the world
May 24, 2016 By JLL Boston

It’s not that often that a city and a region are firing on all cylinders the way we are right now in Boston and the surrounding communities. In fact, no matter where you look, the area is gaining recognition as a national and even a global leader in everything from innovation, to investment, to funding, to jobs, and much more.

To recap just how impressive a ride we’ve been on so far in 2016, here are 10 of the top reasons Boston is one of the premier cities in the US and the world:

Boston is #1 in the US for entrepreneurial growth and innovation
Boston is 4th in the US & 14th in the world in investment relative to the city’s size
Massachusetts is the #1 most innovative state in America according to Bloomberg
Boston is 2nd in the US & 5th in the world in latest Cities Momentum Index
Boston had the #1 growth in venture capital funding
Boston is among the top 6 cities in the world to be a scientific genius
Boston is the 2nd best city in the US for quality of life
Boston is one of the world’s top 50 retail cities
Boston is #2 in the US for career oriented professions & 6th best city to launch a career
Boston is the 3rd most walkable city in America

Yeah but wah wah wah, our skyscrapers aren't as tall as New York's, and buildings get chopped from 700 down to 600 feet and there's no more buildable space and the seaport sucks and the NIMBYS and wah wah wah.

"Top 10 reasons Boston is one of the top cities in the US and the world"

#1 reason why Boston has evolved into one of the top innovated cities in the world is because of Cambridge Massachusetts.

Cambridge Ma commercial rents are pricing high above the city of Boston at this point.
MIT is the key for the innovation-- between their Engineering and Scientists throughout the school.
Boston definitely has great location and a lot of history but is riding the college community which most of the groups of people living in the city are young professionals, out-of-towners living off mom & dad or govt loans along with the Super Rich in the city.

Boston went from a hardworking -blue collared city back in the late 70's early 80's to a very who's who rich cosmopolitan city now.

Is it better now? The city is definitely a great city if your RICH.

"Top 10 reasons Boston is one of the top cities in the US and the world"

#1 reason why Boston has evolved into one of the top innovated cities in the world is because of Cambridge Massachusetts.

Cambridge Ma commercial rents are pricing high above the city of Boston at this point.
MIT is the key for the innovation-- between their Engineering and Scientists throughout the school.
Boston definitely has great location and a lot of history but is riding the college community which most of the groups of people living in the city are young professionals, out-of-towners living off mom & dad or govt loans along with the Super Rich in the city.

Boston went from a hardworking -blue collared city back in the late 70's early 80's to a very who's who rich cosmopolitan city now.

Is it better now? The city is definitely a great city if your RICH.

Super rich? You should tell that to everyone making the median income in Dot, Hyde Park, Mattapan, Rozzie, etc.

Super rich? You should tell that to everyone making the median income in Dot, Hyde Park, Mattapan, Rozzie, etc.

The Medium Real Estate prices on the North Shore are falling into 500,000--1Million--Price range
Cambridge, Somerville, Medford, Everett, Eastie, Charlestown, Malden, Arlington Lexington
Winchester, Wakefield, Stoneham, Melrose

I expect a housing frenzy this year in buying houses in Boston. The market is in Super Bubble mode with low interest rates for a decade.

I'm not sure how your average worker with a family that makes America run can afford to live in Boston anymore with average rents exceeding 2000 a month for 2 bedroom anywhere near the surrounding city.

Expect the same for those area's you quoted for Housing Dot, Hyde Park, Mattapan, Rozzie,---Should rise dramatically this year.
Boston become very unaffordable for the middle-class family at this point.

Last edited:
The Medium Real Estate prices on the North Shore are falling into 500,000--1Million--Price range
Cambridge, Somerville, Medford, Everett, Eastie, Charlestown, Malden, Arlington Lexington
Winchester, Wakefield, Stoneham, Melrose

I expect a housing frenzy this year in buying houses in Boston. The market is in Super Bubble mode with low interest rates for a decade.

I'm not sure how your average worker with a family that makes America run can afford to live in Boston anymore with average rents exceeding 2000 a month for 2 bedroom anywhere near the surrounding city.

Expect the same for those area's you quoted for Housing Dot, Hyde Park, Mattapan, Rozzie,---Should rise dramatically this year.
Boston become very unaffordable for the middle-class family at this point.

Looking at Zillow - there are plenty of houses from 300k-400k and even condos under 200k in these areas. The median household income is $55k. While a bit outdated, it is the latest the BPDA:

http://www.bostonplans.org/getattachment/36c03693-2a54-4fec-8b64-b130c8a509e3/

Doesn't look like Boston is only for the ultra wealthy to me.

Without looking up statistics, what's your idea of a middle class income?

That''s very low ... $15-17 per hour assuming they're employed full time. I don't care how this comes across but two people making that in Boston have absolutely no business having kids.

That''s very low ... $15-17 per hour assuming they're employed full time. I don't care how this comes across but two people making that in Boston have absolutely no business having kids.

I would say more likely in mass as whole. Maybe $20 an hour in and around Boston. I personally don't know the exact numbers.

What do you think?

W7Hst8e.jpg

boston_dots_race.jpg

Plenty of cheap rent in non-white neighborhoods.

Yes Boston is crushing it. To continue crushing it we need to add new housing stock, and better integrate existing regional housing stock - especially in places like Lynn, Brockton, Waltham, Framingham, Lowell, etc. - into the boston commuter market by expanding transit and providing more-competitive local education options in communities like these.

And also yes continue to leverage places like MIT as a conduit for federal funding of research in high-growth global industries like health and technology.

I would say more likely in mass as whole. Maybe $20 an hour in and around Boston. I personally don't know the exact numbers.

What do you think?

For a dual income household with one child, at least $120k a year in Boston and I'd tack on another $10k per kid beyond that.

Interesting how clearly you can see the housing projects in Charlestown and Southie on the race map. An island of diversity surrounded by mostly white neighborhoods.

The government housing in Cambridge is also pretty noticeable (though Cambridge/Somerville are probably the most integrated parts of Boston.)

Back