Trans National Redesign - The "Boston Obelisk"

Downburst

Reaction score
Hey, all!

With the discussion ongoing as to the future of Trans National Place development, I decided to take matters into my own hands for a bit.

On the development thread, some discussion had been going around about a necessary redesign for the site. An idea came up for an Obelisk, which I thought was a fantastic idea for aesthetic and contextual reasons.

Anywho, here we are. I only have one sketch right now, but I plan to do more, and maybe draft a model in Sketchup.

boston_obelisk.jpg

The obelisk intends to echo the other major obelisks in Boston (Bunker Hill/Zakim Bridge) and provides a hopefully welcome deviation from boxes. The slightly chamfered silver/white corners taper above the parapet and open-air observation deck to culminate in a small spire. These corners illuminate at night. A glass pyramid on the roof houses top-floor retail for the deck. The base can also contain some retail.

The tapered design gives height without being overpowering. I think clear glass would work here for a modern look without echoing Exchange Place, the JHT, and (probably) Filene's too much.

The building necessitates the destruction of 133 Federal as well.

I was an Architecture major for a semester, so I'm not an expert. It's a bit of a dream proposal given the height and such, but I thought I'd try my hand.

Good thinking re: the design vocabulary echoing the Bunker Hill Monument/Zakim, but shapewise it kind of reminds me of 1 WTC, which is not very flatteringly shaped, IMO. I actually think a tapered design makes a building feel more overpowering, due to the fat base. I'd much prefer a slim skyscraper, or at least a sleek pyramidal design like the Shard.

Interesting. I thought about an obelisk shaped tower way back when the North Station towers were re-proposed (or maybe that was NSR), thinking that area would make more sense since it's next to the Zakim bridge.

I really like the idea of an obelisk for this location. The concern about the base being overbearing is not an issue in my opinion, because it won't really be visible from most vantage points. The location almost lends itself to the idea that this is two distinct buildings. At the base, the area is very crowded and people will not really focus on the tower at all. Whereas further away, the base is shrouded by other buildings, leaving only the tower.

To illustrate just how much I'd like to see a tall obelisk for this site, I actually had mentally convinced myself that it was in fact planned as an obelisk, and was surprised to see this thread. I've always pictured it as one, even though I've seen renders that must indeed not be an obelisk. Nice work, Downburst!

Back