What is your favorite major american city?

What is your favorite American city, and why?

• NYC

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Boston

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • Philadelphia

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Seattle

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • San Fransisco

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Los Angeles

• Atlanta

• Houston

• Portland, OR

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Pittsburgh

• Detroit

• San Deigo

• St. Louis

• Chicago

• Austin

• Total voters

Hubman

Reaction score
Why is it your favorite? If I didn't list one of your favorites, write it in.

San Francisco - Stable temperature, huge dance scene, relatively close to LA and SD as well as Portland and Seattle, high paying jobs, liberal/progressive, weather, more lay-back attitude, friendlier city, more diverse cuisine.

San Francisco - Stable temperature, huge dance scene, relatively close to LA and SD as well as Portland and Seattle, high paying jobs, liberal/progressive, weather, more lay-back attitude, friendlier city, more diverse cuisine.

Sounds good!

Lists like this remind that I need to travel a lot more than I do. :(

I went with San Francisco - apart from the high cost of living and poor transit it's hard to beat. But I also really like Seattle, San Diego, Portland and Chicago so those would round out my top 5.

San Francisco is probably the only American city I'd want to live in but I very much enjoy Boston, NY, LA, Miami and New Orleans.

NYC is defintely my favorite. Very expensive, but wonderful.

Portland, Oregon. Laid back lifestyle yet rugged. Affordable living and I love the Tri-Met.

Toss up between. New York and SF for me, but I went with New York. I'd place Boston at number 3. I've never been to Portland.

*edit*
No D.C.? I lived there for a while and enjoyed it.

Not SF. Crazy homeless, serious mental health issues. Stench of urine.

Toss up between. New York and SF for me, but I went with New York. I'd place Boston at number 3. I've never been to Portland.

*edit*
No D.C.? I lived there for a while and enjoyed it.

Sorry for leaving out DC! When I went it didn't strike me as having a great downtown, but I loved all the museums and stuff.

San Francisco, although I definitely prefer Boston. SF has the best combination of food, culture, walkability, and jobs. The big issues with it are cost, homelessness/drug addiction, and brunch (people seriously will wait 3+ hours for brunch, it's insane.)

It seems like SF and NYC are the big winners. Mixed opinions on SF, though.

Is there anyone who doesn't like NYC? Just wondering.

If I am being honest I still carry a bit of that old Boston inferiority complex disdain for NYC, but objectively it is an amazing city.

Sorry for leaving out DC! When I went it didn't strike me as having a great downtown, but I loved all the museums and stuff.

With regard to San Francisco and most of the other cities I mentioned I couldn't give two shits about their downtowns. It's about the neighborhoods and the diversity of dining/drinking/entertainment venues, how engaging I find people I meet and the quality of their open spaces among other criteria. If all I knew of San Francisco was Union Square, Sansome Street and Alcatraz, I'd never go back.

Comparing my last two trips there in February of this year and May of last year, the homeless population is exploding with several substantial tent encampments on the sidewalks around South Van Ness, Valencia and Mission plus people sleeping in doorways, alcoves and even on exposed portions of the sidewalk throughout the Mission and into the Castro.

Last edited:
Is there anyone who doesn't like NYC?

ME!!! I avoid it like the plague. Love Boston. That's why I chose to live here for my remaining years. My second choice would be Seattle. SF is a nice place to visit, but I would not like to live there, the ground shakes too much.

Last edited:
I don't like NYC either. It's nicer than it used to be, but it's still too dirty for my liking. Even on the weekends, the sidewalks are just jammed with too many people (they need to be wider.) Supposedly, New Yorkers walk faster than Bostonians, but this is not my experience at all. I am constantly getting stuck behind people.

I also don't like the ultra-competitive nature of people in the working world there. It really seems like dog eat dog, and I have no interest in that. Most people I know who work in NYC put in long hours and seem to experience a high level of stress.

Supposedly, New Yorkers walk faster than Bostonians, but this is not my experience at all. I am constantly getting stuck behind people.

I think it depends on where you are. Tourists in NYC walk extremely slow, but I found actual New Yorkers to have a pretty brisk pace (when not stuck behind tourists).

ME!!! I avoid it like the plague. Love Boston. That's why I chose to live here for my remaining years. My second choice would be Seattle. SF is a nice place to visit, but I would not like to live there, the ground shakes too much.

Seattle is acutally at risk for a huge earthquake/tusunami. It lies right ontop of a subduction zone.

I took NYC for #1 but Seattle was a very close #2. I love Boston but I Think voting for it while living here would be a bit biased.

Back