South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

A vote on South Station air rights on the agenda for Monday's MassDOT/MBTA board meeting, that's positive news.

Heard from a reliable source last week that Suffolk is starting construction on this in January, we'll see!

South Station.png

Hopefully this gets this residential density up around such a major station.

Heard from a reliable source last week that Suffolk is starting construction on this in January, we'll see!
this would be amazing. any way to talk you into divulging who the reliable source is (or at least where he/she works that makes him/her reliable)?

this would be amazing. any way to talk you into divulging who the reliable source is (or at least where he/she works that makes him/her reliable)?

All I can say is it's someone working on the loan doc's.

If this is so - - we could be in for a BIG Crane sighting soon as:

Foundation work will be very different than that for the deep pits or the slurry walls
In order to handle all the stuff suspended above the train station there will need to be a massive steel truss

Net: --- This one could be a lot of fun to follow over the next couple of years

There's going to need to be a demolition phase first... the central waiting area of South Station needs to be demolished to make way for about 1/3 of the the tower's base. We might see a crane assisting with that work, but I doubt we see anything that looks like construction before the end of 2020.

Dose anybody have renderings with the SST, Winthrop Tower and the State Street HQ/Bulfinch Crossing Complex?

Glad to see this move forward! Im excited!!

Awesome news. So is it reasonable to expect construction to start in 2020 and completion by 2023 or 2024?

This will really be another great addition to the downtown core along with WST and MT.
Agree, this is a massive development, in size and significance! Construction starts next month, I'd imagine 3 years if all done in one phase, does anyone know the schedule?

Agree, this is a massive development, in size and significance! Construction starts next month, I'd imagine 3 years if all done in one phase, does anyone know the schedule?
This one will be massive and disruptive because of its location -- so I would expect there will be a lot of information about various construction details such as road closures needed to move in heavy equipment and Big Pieces of Steel -- there will be a HUGE Steel Truss*1 needed to support the tower over the railroad platforms and waiting room

Google the work of LeMessurier in designing the structure for the small-by comparison tower for Fiduciary Trust just across the street [now 40 plus years ago]
exterior render for new image? for a mid 20th C building now known as 175 Federal St.
175-federal-st-boston-photo-4-of-8-office-for-lease.jpg

^ proposal? What is that..
Stick -- I'm not sure ---- it came up while Googling images of the newly named 175 Federal St. [formerly the Fiduciary Trust]
I'd never seen it -- I'm assuming its like One Post Office -- a recladding -- interestingly the original idea by the architect for the building was Glass [circa 1970] -- but then the energy crisis and the lease with Fiduciary Trust reduced the glass to 20% [see the pdf's about the original construction which I posted with the render]

This one will be massive and disruptive because of its location -- so I would expect there will be a lot of information about various construction details such as road closures needed to move in heavy equipment and Big Pieces of Steel -- there will be a HUGE Steel Truss*1 needed to support the tower over the railroad platforms and waiting room

Google the work of LeMessurier in designing the structure for the small-by comparison tower for Fiduciary Trust just across the street [now 40 plus years ago]
exterior render for new image? for a mid 20th C building now known as 175 Federal St.
175-federal-st-boston-photo-4-of-8-office-for-lease.jpg
I think this might be the worst building downtown at the moment, certainly one of the ugliest in one of the most prime locations. I would almost be sad to see it re-clad, I rather it be razed and to see something new go higher.

i seriously doubt the economics work--for such a grand thing to happen.

Back to South Station
BBJ had the following in the open to all: Five Things You Need to Know Today

Five things you need to know today, and a skyscraper 15 years in the making

By Doug Banks – Executive Editor, Boston Business Journal
8 hours ago
A new skyscraper, 15 years in the making
There’s nothing like a little bit of breaking news to unwrap on Christmas morning — and that’s exactly what we got yesterday when Catherine Carlock filed this little gem about the massive air-rights project over South Station, which is finally moving forward.

The development team has closed on the air-rights agreement, including financing, and that is no small feat: This project has been on-again, off-again since it first received city approval for development back in 2006. Hines and investors APG Asset Management U.S. Inc. and Dune Real Estate Partners (who were made public earlier this fall) will move forward, with Suffolk as the general contractor, on spec — that is, without a tenant pre-leased.
Construction is expected to start in January, and it will be one New Year's Resolution worth watching.

I think this might be the worst building downtown at the moment, certainly one of the ugliest in one of the most prime locations. I would almost be sad to see it re-clad, I rather it be razed and to see something new go higher.
Goody -- very unlikely to be able to build much more than what is there now. Read the two pdf's from the 70's describing the project which I linked in the above post

When the 17 story tower was constructed the foundation work was intricate and of high precision as some of the supports are an arms length from the Red Line Tunnel between DTX and South Station

On the other hand -- LeMessurier's Huge Truss [which made the front cover in 1976 or two building and structure magazines] which holds up the subsequent 10 stories of the hexagon tower [beginning at the 4 & 5th floors] and can easily support some glass curtain walls hanging down to the original base pedestal or some other low-rise structure or even the pavement

LeMessurier links to the Fiduciary Trust Company Building [aka 175 Federal St.]

Back