Center Plaza Renovation | Center Plaza | Government Center

shouldn't they throw up a tower on one or two of the sections??

• yes

Votes: 26 78.8%
  • no

Votes: 7 21.2%

• Total voters
Re: Center Plaza redo | Downtown

So which Center Plaza are we getting? Odurandura's verson or the one Stick just posted?

Re: Center Plaza redo | Downtown

So which Center Plaza are we getting? Odurandura's verson or the one Stick just posted?

The one stick posted.

Also, this thread is pointless & misleading, as there is already a thread on Center Plaza.

Yo Boston, we heard you like gray?

Er7PHcK.jpg

Boston STYLE.

The Neville Chamberlain of planning and ambitious urban zeal.

Maybe leave a section up w/ new modernism/Deco cladding.

The rest; pair o' 3 dozen 5,000 pound bombs should be adequate.

They should tear this down and replace it with something like this totally random building I found:

1200px-OldSuffolkCMaCourt.JPG

I224LaN.jpg

So, I get the desire to 'soften' Center Plaza but I'm not sure that the faux(?)-wood paneling is the right approach.

Yes, I was 2 feet away from it but I never thought to touch it.

What? So let's create a fun new maintenance problem that we never had by painting a finish material. So flipping stupid.

I'm not sure when it was first painted but that beige color that was there prior was also paint. I saw them repaint it about 5-6 years ago. But your point still stands.

Fingers crossed that the new owners don't believe in 'sunk cost fallacy' and won't hesitate to completely redevelop the building.

But with the building recently renovated and near 90% occupied, why would they sink additional funds into it at this point?

(And yes, I hate that it blocks the courthouse)

Oh, they almost certainly won't, but a boy can dream...

The optimistic/(cough/cough) price suggested, unfortunately doesn't include the mixed use
mini Hudson Yards/(scaled for Boston)/3 x >700' SKYSCRAPERS that would be required to pay the fare--
The mixed use Office/Hotel/Residential (760' FAA) could be the next piece on the exit ramp from 20th Century mediocrity....
approved in a New York minute.
Carry on.

The optimistic/(cough/cough) price suggested, unfortunately doesn't include the mixed use

mini Hudson Yards/(scaled for Boston)/3 x >700' SKYSCRAPERS that would be required to pay the fare--

The mixed use Office/Hotel/Residential (760' FAA) could be the next piece on the exit ramp from 20th Century mediocrity....

approved in a New York minute.

Carry on.

Had difficulty following that but if you were implying 3 towers going in this building's place, the whole point of replacing the building would be to open up the plaza and restore sightlines to one of the best remaining pieces of architecture in our city. I wonder how many people don't know about the courthouse behind this. Building 3 taller buildings in its place is arguably going backwards in terms of proper planning. Put one tower on the north end of the site that offsets the lost square footage of the other 2/3 of the existing building, put up a low-mid rise, human-scaled building or set of buildings to further activate the newly revealed plaza, and call it a day.

Will never happen though. Neither will 3 700' towers.

Had difficulty following that but if you were implying 3 towers going in this building's place, the whole point of replacing the building would be to open up the plaza and restore sightlines...

Will never happen though. Neither will 3 700' towers.
unquestionably,
#Globe, posted: 2 humongous pedestrian only streets, once again making the area safe for humans
w/ scaled back (almost) to reality/all we could ever hope for size:
Tosh Globe said:
....Center Plaza razed, then 2 wide alleyway's must be created, opening up walk-able pedestrian-only grid leading to Courthouse
(3) parcels for highrises.
a 450' resident tower
a 670' mixed use tower
a ~760' tower (FAA limit).

Last edited:
Too bad if you don't like it, because nothing is changing.

Back