95 Saint (nee Longwood II) | 95 St. Alphonsus St. | Mission Hill

^ Right, it's the old real estate adage:

Size, Price, and Location: choose any two

OK, but basic market forces are never going to allow you to win that battle -- larger, affordable housing units in close proximity to major employment centers simply cannot happen. The real estate is too valuable.

Two ideas for fixing this:

One is for the government to put the finger on the scales. Require and subsidize more affordable/family-sized housing. The market is always going to serve first the people who need it least, which means the market is inadequate to the problem.

The other is to require large private colleges in the area to house all of their undergraduates year round (i.e. don't close the dorms for the holiday or summers, so wealthy and international students don't go apartment-hunting), and ditto for a large percent of their graduate students.

OK, but basic market forces are never going to allow you to win that battle -- larger, affordable housing units in close proximity to major employment centers simply cannot happen. The real estate is too valuable.

^ Right, it's the old real estate adage:

Size, Price, and Location: choose any two

Ding Ding Ding

There are loads of large homes in and near downtown Boston, they just don't come cheap - Back Bay, South End, Beacon Hill...

No disagreement. I'm fine with my house in Roslindale -- it suits my space needs, desired housing cost, provides a decent array of walkable amenities, and is still pretty damn close to downtown by commuter rail. But I think the people making the argument that there is not enough family housing are really saying they want family housing in cost prohibitive locations.

Other than more floors, the only thing this is missing is retail fronting st alphonsus, its pretty well traveled by the students and with three midrise residential buildings next door, should be enough to warrant a small restaurant or shop

Bizarre to see such a short building that looks like it belongs in Waltham in between 2 taller buildings that have been around for decades. I would think they could get away with something as tall at 75 St. Alphonsus.

^^ it offends the Almighty himself.

I dont care if it meets current zoning, it should be the height of its neighbors... and more importantly how many affordable units will there be? Should be half anyway. The mayor and the BRA need to find a sweet spot between being pro development and forcing projects to have more affordable housing.

Five-over-one steps from Longwood in the core of the city, squeezed between two decades-old concrete towers. What a waste.

Not much new here but visited this really nice park today by bike and saw this development at the bottom of the hill for which not much seems to have progressed since the last photos on this thread ...
DBA601FC-3754-4BF9-A687-C813F5E416D9.jpeg

C08E95B1-2F15-4D4E-B055-3E1E9C6AC2D9.jpeg

Not much new here but visited this really nice park today by bike and saw this development at the bottom of the hill for which not much seems to have progressed since the last photos on this thread ...

Fitzgerald Park! It's an old Puddingstone quarry. I try and get up there a few times a year for the sunset. Thanks for the photos!

Back