Gables Seaport (née Waterside Place 1B) | 505 Congress Street | Seaport

20201106_195103.jpg
20201106_195123.jpg
20201106_195248.jpg

Is it just me, or does anyone else tend to stare at this building for minutes on end. I'm mesmerized. It's like the Rasputin of buildings and it's not even doing any cheap tricks to make itself stand out.

It's just quietly outstanding.

The BU Stack o' Books building is Anna Nicole Smith, The Gables is Jaclyn Smith.

Nope, not just you. I feel the same way.

From Saturday.

Wanted to share this intriguing 'peekaboo' perspective that really drew me to walk down this street on our Pokéwalk the other day. Just astounding how this once desolate view feels like it's actually in a place where people might exist. Also, I'm absolutely over the moon they added a signalized intersection here. Before construction began, if I ever had to cross Congress St at the unsignalled crosswalk here, only Silver Line buses would actually yield so I could cross.
2021-03-06 16.42.23.jpg

2021-03-06 16.43.15.jpg
2021-03-06 16.43.35.jpg
2021-03-06 16.43.44.jpg

The dynamic range and quality of your photos have been incredible - what are you shooting with? Are they phone shots?

The dynamic range and quality of your photos have been incredible - what are you shooting with? Are they phone shots?

Yep, just the HDR image processing with iPhone 11 Pro. In lower lighting, it's a little too aggressive with detail sharpening, but overall it's made for effortlessly beautiful photos, especially during golden hour. I'd probably have to spend hours in Lightroom just to get the photos to be as true-to-life as they are here. Good enough for sharing on a web forum or social media!

This might be my favorite building in the Seaport. Either that or the MassMutual office building. Just looks great from most angles.
It makes the horrors of Waterside Place IA slightly forgivable (but not really). It is a fine addition though.

This might be my favorite building in the Seaport. Either that or the MassMutual office building. Just looks great from most angles.

It’s the Joe DiMaggio of Boston buildings. Not trying to be too showy, but is spectacular without so much superficial effort. I think it’s truly brilliant. The materials are beautiful and the window framing geometry pattern is mesmerizing.

Last edited:
That painted stair case is a great find Beeline. I walked up there three weeks ago and it hadn't been painted yet. It felt very dark and isolated.

That painted stair case is a great find Beeline. I walked up there three weeks ago and it hadn't been painted yet. It felt very dark and isolated.

Right above Beeline's post Shmessy posted pictures of the staircase almost fully painted at the very beginning of June, nearly 7 weeks ago.

The covered garage is actually one of the better parts of the building, never thought Id say something like that. The orange grates and wavy facade have like a japanese oriental room divider look to it to me. Looks awesome.
3e80fb2e-197e-41c9-aafe-44a98afeaac4_1.a427ccb6d1e0db2104b9f9f24601d84e.jpeg

It’s a decent building, but standing next to its sibling it’s outstanding.

Agreed. Its sibling, Waterside Place, has already aged terribly (and wasn't all that great to begin with). It only opened about 7 short years ago, but looking head-on at the building in person, I got old run-down hospital vibes. Maybe it's also just in desperate need of a good exterior washing.

Haha it doesnt need a cleaning it just has looked that way since day 1 because of the way the concrete panels are laid. They have horizontal lines in the concrete and the panels are laid alternating horizontally and vertically and the vertical ones make it look like theyre dirty because the way the light hits the texture. We were complaining about it back then and with time it hasnt changed at all.

Back