Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

16418264-8709-45B9-865E-9FE6C86C2A4F.jpeg

If you want to see a real life example of the wavy windows might look like, check out Winthrop's recently topped out 727' doppelganger: 320 South Canal in Chicago.

It's really exciting to see this finally rising above its neighbors in the area. This parcel has to be one of the longer planned developments maybe along with the South Station Tower. I remember when I was a child and the 75-story design came about and here we are now. I think the South Station tower going vertical will be the only bigger accomplishment to come for Boston skyscrapers (and then maybe the Harbor Garage in like 2040 🙄)

Since it will be taller than MT, it should loom above and to the sides from this angle. Luckily it has completely different surfacing and coloring from MT so it won't look like one big mish-mashed building.

I feel claustrophobic just looking at this photo! Is it possible to walk straight here between those buildings?

Not only is it possible--pre-pandemic, it was easily one of the Top 5 most traveled pedestrian thoroughfares in New England, in terms of people per-hour from, say, 7 am-9:30 am and again from 4-5:30 pm, on weekdays. Being the primary pedestrian corridor from South Station to the Financial District.

The only places in New England I could possibly conceive of as having higher pedestrian throughput at anytime, 24/7/365, would be South Station/North Station/Logan Airport/DTX station*, Fenway, Gillette, Great Woods.

(*annoyingly, the MBTA hasn't updated its passenger volumes handbook in ages, I believe...)

Not only is it possible--pre-pandemic, it was easily one of the Top 5 most traveled pedestrian thoroughfares in New England, in terms of people per-hour from, say, 7 am-9:30 am and again from 4-5:30 pm, on weekdays. Being the primary pedestrian corridor from South Station to the Financial District.

The only places in New England I could possibly conceive of as having higher pedestrian throughput at anytime, 24/7/365, would be South Station/North Station/Logan Airport/DTX station*, Fenway, Gillette, Great Woods.

(*annoyingly, the MBTA hasn't updated its passenger volumes handbook in ages, I believe...)

I think you might be confusing the view with this:

I feel claustrophobic just looking at this photo! Is it possible to walk straight here between those buildings?

Haha yes it is. That little triangular plaza in the midground flows directly into the plaza that surrounds 133 Federal, so despite the chaos it's entirely possible to do a straight shot right up to the new building from here.

Back