Kenmore Square North (WHOOP) | 533-541 Commonwealth Ave | Fenway

The client saw the visualization in AutoCAD and said “I want it *just* like that!”

The gap between the buildings makes me worried. There was a decent street wall that large of a gap there seems like it breaks it up just. A bit much

I'm really struggling to hate this building as much as some of the other members... it's not winning any awards but I can name a lot of worse dreck that's been built in the last decade.

I'm really struggling to hate this building as much as some of the other members... it's not winning any awards but I can name a lot of worse dreck that's been built in the last decade.

It's not just about being a crappy building. It's a crappy building in a prominent location and tore down a superior structure to get there. This is the worst new structure meeting those criteria unless/until the Shreve Crump and Low redevelopment happens. That will be the worst building of the decade.

It's not just about being a crappy building. It's a crappy building in a prominent location and tore down a superior structure to get there. This is the worst new structure meeting those criteria unless/until the Shreve Crump and Low redevelopment happens. That will be the worst building of the decade.

I drove by on Friday, April 30th. It's pretty bad now, but I have some hope it will get better. I also drove by the Shreve Building on Boylston & Arlington that Druker wants to demolish. I think this Kenmore Square development is a PERFECT reason for keeping some historic background buildings. IMHO Kenmore Square is cheapened by this suburban-looking development that could have been so much better. I HOPE and PRAY that Boston doesn't make the same mistake on the corner of Arlington & Boylston.

51152460384_a44c974b31_b.jpg

Enhance

51152779700_ec0167d650_b.jpg

ENHANCE

51152460364_0050a39b4b_b.jpg

It's more lively from this angle but still, there ain't no life in them eyes. Route 128 beckons

51151000932_daf7ccbdb8_b.jpg

Replacing the Citgo sign with plain air may actually make this look better. I have hope with the upcoming developments across the street will help make this part of the square look better.

I can only think of one name for this building that some idiotic and lazy developer has now set down in an iconic Kenmore Square:

1620166591261.png

Whoop is taking 121k sf here. Up until now they'd been based above Target on Boylston in the Fenway. They also had a retail space in the same building, but that recently moved a block over onto Kilmarnock.

I was hoping that this building would sit empty, just out of spite for the developer.

Last edited:
I'm looking at it right now from the Monster Seats while on a free Fenway Park tour.

My God...it's so shitty.

Pics from yesterday noonish while on a Fenway Park tour. . .

Corner of Brookline/Landsdowne:
20210507_115801.jpg

Upper-deck RF grandstand (can see the stage setup in CF for Northeastern's graduation tomorrow):
20210507_131544.jpg

Second row of the press box. This is the view the out-of-town writers get of the Square.
20210507_132339.jpg

Balcony entrance to the Monster Seats:
20210507_133352.jpg

My God...it's so shitty.
o_O

Back