The Parker Boston (nee LaGrange Tower) | 47-55 LaGrange St. | Downtown

Boston doesn't have the balls to do it, but they should landmark that entire little corner of Tremont from LaGrange to the side of the Jacob Wirth's tower.

Can't wait for Emerson to buy those things up and ruin this area in 10-15 years.

Boston doesn't have the balls to do it, but they should landmark that entire little corner of Tremont from LaGrange to the side of the Jacob Wirth's tower.

Can't wait for Emerson to buy those things up and ruin this area in 10-15 years.

I agree with you, 393b40, though I'd like to see the walls cleaned up a bit. As a product of Philly for the first two decades of my life, I'm a fan of grit; but those side walls look like shit.

let's not sugarcoat this "tower" ... what a waste of prime downtown real estate.

Yeah, about that? Not going to happen--unless some miracle occurs to restore the rather ominous and overburdened condition of Emerson's balance sheet. Do you want to make that bet on a private, non-Ivy college in the post-COVID era?

Simultaneously in the middle of everything while also dark and quiet?
If I had money but didn't want to show it, Id live here. Russian, Chinese moving cash...or to house my kid during college and make money on real estate instead of paying room and board...or if I was a professional sports star...im sure there is a market...

I pointed out the low light and narrow streets = darkness, but people will probably pay.

For example, near my old apartment in NY, was Soori Highline. Beautiful and super high end finishes. Cheapest place in there was $4M. However, it is on West 29th between 10th and 11th Ave, so not the best location, it is on the South side of the street (not a lot of light) on a narrow cross street and is a half block from a large Postal sorting facility, so mail trucks are constantly rumbling down this street day and night. And yet, it is pretty much sold out and the people who live there are caked out. One guy has his chauffeured MB S600 Maybach Edition sitting outside - the driver naps in it most of the time.

Each apartment has its OWN SWIMMING POOL! So, sometimes what we "regular people" consider as downsides are offset by over the top finishes and amenities.

353937918.jpg

c4_04._4th_photojpg.jpg

The living room.....staring out at walkup apartments and a dirty street.

a2e26e39ed20f53a98cfec9d293a4941-se_medium_500_250.webp

Last edited:
This is definitely an improvement for the street at ground level compared to the multiple parking garages on both sides of the street. I think the building itself looks perfectly fine as well and is a welcome addition as a more low key project.

anything is an improvement to the void (blight) the existed previously. Your assessment of the building is generous.

1627610870436.png

anything is an improvement to the void (blight) the existed previously. Your assessment of the building is generous.

This argument is beginning to get old on here. It seems like an excuse for every project recently.

7/23

IMG_2144 by David Z, on Flickr

I think it's super cool the way both this and the Avalon tower emerge from the gritty street wall that's been there for decades without really changing it at all. Imagine how sad it would be for this intersection to be obliterated and replaced with a sterile podium. Far better for these new buildings to repurpose alleyways and hidden parking lots.

I think it's super cool the way both this and the Avalon tower emerge from the gritty street wall that's been there for decades without really changing it at all. Imagine how sad it would be for this intersection to be obliterated and replaced with a sterile podium. Far better for these new buildings to repurpose alleyways and hidden parking lots.

Yea, this is by far one of the most dynamic, fun, and architecturally interesting intersections in the area. The State Transportation Building is the only real dud over here.

Yea, this is by far one of the most dynamic, fun, and architecturally interesting intersections in the area. The State Transportation Building is the only real dud over here.
There is a very, very slow motion project to replace the transportation building. Id say 2030-35 at the earliest. It is clear to most that the building wastes A LOT of space. The surrounding Emerson buildings attest that it could easily be twice as tall, and along Stuart street, 3 times the height at the corners.

There is a very, very slow motion project to replace the transportation building. Id say 2030-35 at the earliest. It is clear to most that the building wastes A LOT of space. The surrounding Emerson buildings attest that it could easily be twice as tall, and along Stuart street, 3 times the height at the corners.

Is this in planning docs or something? The only relevant result on google is a 2014 article saying Emerson would consider bidding for it when the time comes.

It's a 2.6 acre lot with a lot of potential than what's there now.

Is this in planning docs or something? The only relevant result on google is a 2014 article saying Emerson would consider bidding for it when the time comes.

It's a 2.6 acre lot with a lot of potential than what's there now.
That's basically my understanding. But it was the tone, if I remember correctly, that gave me hope. It was the Transportation Department saying that the building really wasn't very functional and that THEY were interested in moving as well. 2035 puts the building at 50. That atrium is NOT what a private tenant wants.

That's basically my understanding. But it was the tone, if I remember correctly, that gave me hope. It was the Transportation Department saying that the building really wasn't very functional and that THEY were interested in moving as well. 2035 puts the building at 50. That atrium is NOT what a private tenant wants.

It makes sense to sell it off.

I think the T could benefit from a centralized Engineering & Maintenance, Planning, and Administration facility. If they had the capabilities, perhaps they could build upon the Charlestown facilities, where there's promise for future redevelopment down the street which is likely to continue expanding in and around Sullivan, and the bus garage is due for enhancements and additions at the very least, it'd be somewhat in the crazy 'pitches' territory to tack on an entire Charlestown campus renewal/add-reno and planning exercise, but it's due soon anyways, and they could perhaps benefit from consolidation and potentially selling off some land with increased efficiencies. They could also be placed at the Cabot yards, though it could be a more constrained site.

With MassDOT, they could perhaps benefit from a combined facility with their District 6 offices down the street where they've been trying to get interest for their parcels down there, though I'm admittedly less familiar with their operations.

That's a good chunk or cash for the state, too.

Back