Eli Lilly IGM | 15 Necco Street | Fort Point

I believe it will fit the channel perfectly - a good mix of brick and steel with a great view of the channel. I really like how stepped back it is from the shoreline, but extends towards the waterfront. It makes me think of the new cranes at the Conley, and I almost wish there was 1 more cantilevered section out over the channel.

RE: the "Port House" above - those buildings mixing old and new just look like weird tumors to me on an already stately building. There's absolutely nothing in the outgrowth that even remotely respects the podium design.

1624886411460.png

Why can't Boston have cool designs like that? ^

Part of the reason is a certain Boston mindset. If the Crick building had been proposed for Fort Point and the GE building for London a lot of people would have hated the Crick building, loved the GE building, and asked why Boston can't have buildings like GE.

It's like the High Line. Personally, I think it's overrated and if it had been built in Peoria nobody would give it a second look. But it's in New York, so it must be awesome. Likewise, if GE and Crick had traded places, it would be the GE building that would be awesome, because it's the one that's not in Boston.

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our architecture, but in ourselves, that we are Bostonians, with all the baggage that implies...

Part of the reason is a certain Boston mindset. If the Crick building had been proposed for Fort Point and the GE building for London a lot of people would have hated the Crick building, loved the GE building, and asked why Boston can't have buildings like GE.

It's like the High Line. Personally, I think it's overrated and if it had been built in Peoria nobody would give it a second look. But it's in New York, so it must be awesome. Likewise, if GE and Crick had traded places, it would be the GE building that would be awesome, because it's the one that's not in Boston.

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our architecture, but in ourselves, that we are Bostonians, with all the baggage that implies...
I disagree. The Crick Building is actually better, regardless of location. It is well proportioned, has an understated classy use of materials, is sleek, is interesting, and flows well. The 15 Necco Street Building, in contrast, is clunky, top heavy, has arbitrary and discordant creases and turns in its shapes, and has the dreaded (since the Kenmore Sq. North project) terra cotta cladding. I'm hoping that 15 Necco Street, when actually built, will outshine the render which looks like a 1950s sci-fi pulp magazine.

Last edited:
I disagree. The Crick Building is actually better, regardless of location. It is well proportioned, has an understated classy use of materials, is sleek, is interesting, and flows well. The 15 Necco Street Building, in contrast, is clunky, top heavy, has arbitrary and discordant creases and turns in its shapes, and has the dreaded (since the Kenmore Sq. North project) terra cotta cladding. I'm hoping that 15 Necco Street, when actually built, will outshine the render which looks like a 1950s sci-fi pulp magazine.

Just to clarify, my post wasn't about the merits of the Crick building versus the GE building. It was about a mindset — exemplified by the public response to the High Line — that I think is fairly common in Boston.

.....and it's LONG past time to get the USPS out. Get the major developers on board to pay the damn ransom already - - the benefits to their pockets will far outweigh their costs. There are tens of billions to be made on that land.

Gillette too.

1632062325704.png

Back