Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

We all should be lobbying for a lighting system to show off the bridge at night

Luckily were not the only ones who think this should be taken into consideration. Lets hope they pull through.

QQVNNT3UMNF53EDXNJIDN6WRVU.jpg

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/02...p-has-bright-ideas-darkened-lechmere-viaduct/

Sometimes, given the fitful stretches of productivity on the GLX, I wonder if Young Construction is involved in the project.

This is interesting. The front bumper of the truck was given wheels and adapted to fit the tracks so the truck can do whatever it does.
That's a bog-standard Hy-Rail rig. There should be one on the rear wheels too, though.

What I'm wondering is when they're going to take down the old, faded Ball Square Animal Hospital sign.

Thanks. What does it do that the other purpose-built equipment can't do?

Herzog hyrail welding van. It is used to carry thermite weld kits, tools and supplies (which need to be protected from moisture and vandalism) to the worksite on the rails. It can carry any manner of the numerous other tools and supplies needed for track construction. . There are rear hy-rail wheels on that and a power liftgate not visible in the picture.

Thanks. What does it do that the other purpose-built equipment can't do?
What Reno said,and I'm pretty sure Hyrails are significantly cheaper to purchase and operate, as well as easier to transport between work areas since they can just get off the tracks and out of the way when their task is done and drive away. Instead of being bound to the railway network, and needing to occupy a siding which may not exist, they can just park it in literally any parking lot.

Also, I believe that hyrails have special operating FRA rules that are more flexible and permissive unlike fixed rail equipment. If you want to take it to the extreme, since the 1930s there have been various experiments with dual mode buses, which run on local roads to serve local communities then take the tracks for speed and city access. In the 60s, I believe there were trials on the LIRR and SEPTA, to serve small low ridership communities. There is actually supposed to be a new service using these launching in Hokkaido sometime this year.

Last edited:
I don't know if they can really say it is the world's first DMV service. Wasn't this concept actually tried by JR Hokkaido before or did it never operate?

"In April 2007, JR Hokkaido will begin operating DMVs along part of the Kushiro line in eastern Hokkaido."

I personally investigated running a train-bus north on Route 1 which switched to unused rails at Dedham Center to get to downtown Boston many many years ago for an MBTA experimental service grant. I did not submit that idea but did get approved for an experimental commuter bus from Clinton to Boston. If memory serves me well I believe "(A) Yankee" bus lines started their Acton/Concord to Boston service under that program.

But I do have to say that the Japanese really do love their trains. That was a very interesting program. I was hoping to see how the operator gets up into the driving "pod" on the great looking "Romance" trains which was not shown. Anyone know?

AH, never mind :)
t02200330_0427064013335126961.jpg

Last edited:
They are finally paving one lane of the approaches to the School Street bridge. They might hit their target of having it partially open for the start of the school year.

To amplify @Brad Plaid ,I would love to see the old Ball Square sign (below) get a semi-standard semi-retro place-making makeover for the 3 panels of this sign:

(T)
Green Line

BALL SQ.

Ride Rapid Transit

18 Minutes to Park Street

(or however many minutes it is, to whichever "downtown" they'd liketo promote, Lechmere, North Station, Haymarket, or Park St)

(or keep what may be a "Ball Square" logo in the top panel?)
dsc_0285-jpeg.15724

Last edited:
The grade transition where it joins the existing path is kind of awkward; hopefully they'll make that a little smoother. Nice to see the pavement there, even if we won't be able to ride it for almost another year.

The path seems to be like a roller coaster between at-grade crossings across school, sycamore, central streets. What are the design constraints that necessitate such an undulating community path rather than one that is level between street crossings?

Love the night photo of the Viaduct!! Looks so stunning!!! :)
Viaduct at Night..jpg

Last edited:

Back