7INK (née Ollie) | 217 Albany St | South End

Man, those panels are just ugly. Too flat. Proportions all wrong on the lighter-colored miter edge ones. That shade of beige is pretty terrible. I'm just waiting for the "Holiday Inn Express" sign to show up on top.

The biggest disappointment for me is that the renders seemed to show a facade with a lot of texture, whereas it looks super flat in these pictures.

Have not seen it with cladding in person yet tho.

The biggest disappointment for me is that the renders seemed to show a facade with a lot of texture, whereas it looks super flat in these pictures.

Saw this in person yesterday. It didn't help one bit. This can easily be a top contender for fugliest new building of 2021.

If you go back and look again knowing what it eventually becomes the render is actually accurate. The depth was an optical illusion due to the angles on the panels, but you can see thats whats there in the render too. Its an optical illusion (in real life too), its just that when you get close in real life you can see it for what it is.

Its the same optical illusion we got with the suffolk dorm, a lot of people expected depth to the facade due to the renders but it was a trick on the eye due to clever angles on the panels.

If you zoom in you can see that theyre just diagonal lines on the panels and not actual depth. All in all though personally I think it came out fine and I like it.
v1_inkblock_day_18_1109web-1100x943.jpg

Heres the suffolk dorm with the same optical illusion.
NBBJ-20-Somerset-South-scaled.jpg

Up close its just clever texturing
Suffolk-7669-med.jpg

Due to this we also thought then that they hadnt stayed true to the render, but its just the same optical illusion in the render as the one you get in real life. Just in real life you can tell its an illusion when you get close.

Last edited:
I don't see any illusion (or attempt at one) for the 7ink building. All 4 of the frame panels are the same shade of beige so no depth is implied.

Also side note, I've always loved that Suffolk building. Really beautiful paneling.

Damn…. The billboard was in the tender too. I feel bad for the folks who get to stare at that backside of it from their windows.

I don't see any illusion (or attempt at one) for the 7ink building. All 4 of the frame panels are the same shade of beige so no depth is implied.

Also side note, I've always loved that Suffolk building. Really beautiful paneling.

The panels have diagonal lines going from the window to the corners of the panel. This is to make it look like theres depth around the window, as in the window is set a few inches deep into the panel.

The panels have diagonal lines going from the window to the corners of the panel. This is to make it look like theres depth around the window, as in the window is set a few inches deep into the panel.

I will say that it probably would've looked better if the not-black panels were a bit whiter like they are in this render. The tan/grey color is nice enough in a subdued kind of way, but a brighter color would've popped more.

Yeah I see those. But they read more like a flat picture frame than something 3D.

The details read like creases in folded paper, rather than Suffolk’s moire effect.

Yea they both use different methods but the effect is just trying to create some visual depth from a flat surface.

The building’s ok but that damn billboard needs to come the hell outta there! It looks freakin ridiculous now in that spot!

The building’s ok but that damn billboard needs to come the hell outta there! It looks freakin ridiculous now in that spot!

It's just so ridiculous that people thought the billboard HAS to be in that exact spot, regardless of the fact that it was disclosed in the renders. The parties involved really couldn't come to a better agreement than that?!

Are people paying full price for units blocked by that billboard?

Are people paying full price for units blocked by that billboard?

Just a pure assumption, but if there were affordable units here, then I would guess it'd be those.

Back