Random Boston Architectural Finds

squidman1

Reaction score
Here's a specific thread just for the thing I love to find--random photos, diagrams, and plans of buildings and streets in Boston, from over the years. Sometimes I notice that Dirty Old Boston isn't quite the place to dump out some things, so voila!

Screenshot 2021-11-17 4.14.27 PM.png

First off, a cross section of Back Bay Station. From "The Architecture of Kallmann McKinnell & Wood", 1988.

^ I never know whether to call that building 150 Fed or 100 High. I was a bike messenger back in 2007 and I think at the time we were calling it 150 Fed? Either way I know that lobby and I don't remember those pieces being there in 2007.

Screenshot 2021-11-17 7.58.32 PM.png

Vague photo of steel construction on Travelers, 1959

View attachment 18984

Lafayette Place's shopping arcade (mockup?)
I'm surprised at the lack of outright documentation on Lafayette Place's interior online. My mother took us there countless times as a kid but I only have vague memories of it beyond the KB Toys and Original Cookie Co. Would love to see more of the interior and even a mall map if it exists.

View attachment 18985

Successories store, Prudential Center, 1993
I want to go in this store, even if there's nothing I want to buy.

The Bay Tower Room (pretty much the equivalent sight-lines; just bigger/more windows) at next-door 60 State Street was also pretty incredible, it seems. I know you can still rent the space out for private functions (the "State Room"), but that's nowhere near as inclusive or cool as just deciding to go eat high atop the streets of the city at a "normal" restaurant.

Now that I think about it, the Bay Tower Room made the biggest impression on me (I was probably in my late 20's when I ate there) with that two story dining room and those massive ceiling to floor plate glass windows. Why it's not open as a regular restaurant is a mystery, they'd make a fortune.

Back