The Casco | 201 Federal Street | Portland

This one will make it the third true massive crane to be in concurrent operation on the peninsula. Not sure if Hobson's Landing will add to it, but if it does, it's probably unprecedented in the city's history (four).

Tower crane components coming tomorrow (1/19) for assembly later this week!
0A2B3876-80D1-4613-BAF1-D073EFE420DE.jpeg

Maybe Redfern can get the city to let them add another 9 stories, for a total of 27, like they did for Maine Medical. They can argue it's a current humanitarian housing crisis (a la, the pandemic allowing Maine Med it's addition to the addition).

My uneasiness with heights would not permit me to be a tower crane operator and it looks more unstable the higher it gets. The crane being used to put it together is no joke either and is transported on the back of a flatbed!

Put the jib on today - seems like it's fully assembled?

IMG_4073.JPG

All three cranes:

IMG_4074.JPG

Sun Life, Wex 1 & 2, a tiny bit of Covetrus/hotel. When you also consider 20 Thames and the Marriott are fairly recent - this was all empty not too long ago!

IMG_4076.JPG

The camera on my iPhone 3 is terrible, but the first shot is from Hanover Street construction site with 201 Federal's crane being put together in the background. Second shot is from Fort Sumner Park looking towards 201 Federal.

IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

Nice response by you in the Portland Press Herald this morning Max. The other fact that is always overlooked is the total height which will actually be 205' to the top of the mechanical penthouse. The roofline height (190') can be misleading but I understand why the developer is focusing on the smaller number.

I would love to see the tower crane lit up at night as many tower cranes in Boston and Seattle...a blue or purple string up the ladder and across the length of the crane. The red warning lights are barely visable compared to the two at mmc

I would love to see the tower crane lit up at night as many tower cranes in Boston and Seattle...a blue or purple string up the ladder and across the length of the crane. The red warning lights are barely visable compared to the two at mmc
I too noticed the lights were barely visible - is there no requirement for how bright they need to be? Doesn't seem like they are currently all that useful.

I too noticed the lights were barely visible - is there no requirement for how bright they need to be? Doesn't seem like they are currently all that useful.
Seagull strike potential. That, and all the news choppers that buzz over Portland.

Back