View Boston (Observatory) | Prudential Tower | Back Bay

Did not say it was. But it does qualify as tallest man-made structure. Buildings was not a specification. 😗

Yes, but sorry again. Antenna & communication towers are one thing. Office towers are tall buildings that feature office space. The Pru was Boston's first tall office tower before the John Hancock Tower was built. :)

Last edited:
Wrong project, but never count this guy out. He and his fellow travelers continued trying to kill Columbus Center, despite it having been approved and even started. Fortunately, Simon Properties has deeper pockets than Winn, and perhaps a CEO who won't be convicted of fraud.

Just like there are lots of NIMBY'S "throwing stones" at the Freedom Tower. It really is a handsome building, yet they don't like it, mainly because they think that the former buildings were better. They're just gonna have to live with it. :eek:

Umm,.... it would be nice if they posted some pics of the inside to let us see the progress of the makeover. Does anyone think that they'll at least feature a snack / beer bar up there just in case someone might get the hungry horrors? It wouldn't hurt. Like on the floor of the obs deck in the JHC. :unsure:

Last edited:
51841662216_d80e225b20_b.jpg

Nice outside, but they need to start showing some pics of the progress inside. Stop playing the guessing game! :unsure:

I haven't stepped inside the Prudential shops since a visit to Eataly in early 2020. Does anyone have pictures of the construction for the Observation Entrance Pavilion that will be located adjacent to Blue Bottle coffee? Have they started that yet? Is there construction at the Yellow Garage level yet?

I still dont understand why they took the approach of removing the restaurant and replacing it with an indoor observation deck, while keeping the old indoor observation deck and adding the outdoor space.

Theyre keeping the old indoor observation deck and adding egress from there to get to the new outdoor observation deck. Why not just do that and keep/update the restaurant above? It seems like that would have made the most sense and cost much less. Now theres no restaurant and 2 indoor observation decks… weird.

I still dont understand why they took the approach of removing the restaurant and replacing it with an indoor observation deck, while keeping the old indoor observation deck and adding the outdoor space.

Theyre keeping the old indoor observation deck and adding egress from there to get to the new outdoor observation deck. Why not just do that and keep/update the restaurant above? It seems like that would have made the most sense and cost much less. Now theres no restaurant and 2 indoor observation decks… weird.

Stick n Move, you're so right!! One would wonder just why they chose to do that, instead of just keeping & rehabbing the restaurant above. Doesn't seem to make any sense to me either!! :eek:

I'm very glad that they're replacing the indoor observation deck with an outdoor one, however it would have been optimal if they could have included Top of the Hub (or another restaurant) near the top of the building, perhaps on floor 50 where the former indoor observation deck had been. Certainly a missed opportunity.

They've consistently referred to beverage and food vendors up at the new 'View Boston' thing, so it's not like there are gonna be no dining options. These may be more "bars with bar food" rather than haute cuisine, but in truth the food at Top of the Hub was nothing special. You paid (and understandably so) for the views; not the award-winning food.

While they're up there, I wish they could add some sort of crown to the top to cover up that mess of mechanicals and antennas. They could keep the basic idea of the main antenna mast but beef it up more like the one on the Old Hancock building down the street. I don't think it would've been all that complicated and surely there's a classy way to add it on while not ruining the existing aesthetic. Plus the bonus would be added actual height to push it over 800'. I found myself sketching such a crown years ago but don't know what I did with it...

I'm very glad that they're replacing the indoor observation deck with an outdoor one, however it would have been optimal if they could have included Top of the Hub (or another restaurant) near the top of the building, perhaps on floor 50 where the former indoor observation deck had been. Certainly a missed opportunity.

They not replacing the indoor observation deck with an outdoor one. Theyre keeping the current one on 50 because they need to have the egress from there to the roof of 50 for the outdoor observation deck.

Thats why I was saying its weird that theyre also using the old top of the hub space on 51 and 52 for even more indoor observation deck space when they already have one on 50.

I was just saying that since they have to keep the current observation deck on 50 anyways, plus theyre adding the new outdoor observation deck above that making it better than before, it would have made sense/been nice to have upgraded the restaurant on 51 and 52 vs making it into a second indoor observation deck. That way we would have had an indoor observation deck, an outdoor observation deck, and an upgraded restaurant vs what were getting now with 2 indoor observation decks and an outdoor observation deck. Thats all.

They've consistently referred to beverage and food vendors up at the new 'View Boston' thing, so it's not like there are gonna be no dining options. These may be more "bars with bar food" rather than haute cuisine, but in truth the food at Top of the Hub was nothing special. You paid (and understandably so) for the views; not the award-winning food.

Or if you knew the trick, just snuck up into the bar for the view and a drink and skipped the food.

While they're up there, I wish they could add some sort of crown to the top to cover up that mess of mechanicals and antennas. They could keep the basic idea of the main antenna mast but beef it up more like the one on the Old Hancock building down the street. I don't think it would've been all that complicated and surely there's a classy way to add it on while not ruining the existing aesthetic. Plus the bonus would be added actual height to push it over 800'. I found myself sketching such a crown years ago but don't know what I did with it...

Bruh... that mess up there is part of the aesthetic.

Back