Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

A new Mainebiz article highlights the extreme negative impact Portland's GND is having on development. Residential construction permits are 20% of what they were before the GND was implemented.

It is interesting that they cite the possible catalyst for development to shift to Westbrook and SoPo where they're seeing a renaissance. With Rock Row and other potential locations in the downtown footprint of Westbrook (where I live), I can see the desire and benefit. Recent articles posted have had locals comment that Westbrook is "going to hell" or "losing its charm", but they're missing out on a bigger picture. The articles were primarily about in-fill projects & density anyhow, not sprawl. This may force certain people further north or westward as Westbrook becomes integrated as a more obvious suburb

It is interesting that they cite the possible catalyst for development to shift to Westbrook and SoPo where they're seeing a renaissance. With Rock Row and other potential locations in the downtown footprint of Westbrook (where I live), I can see the desire and benefit. Recent articles posted have had locals comment that Westbrook is "going to hell" or "losing its charm", but they're missing out on a bigger picture. The articles were primarily about in-fill projects & density anyhow, not sprawl. This may force certain people further north or westward as Westbrook becomes integrated as a more obvious suburb
"Certain people"? Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think what you are saying is that Westbrook is losing its status as the last of the three cities where industrial workers who don't consider themselves progressives can feel at home.

"Certain people"? Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think what you are saying is that Westbrook is losing its status as the last of the three cities where industrial workers who don't consider themselves progressives can feel at home.
That's a highly inflammatory and defensive response. That's not what I'm saying at all. Being progressive or conservative has nothing to do with it; I'm talking about people who desire the look and feel of a more rural setting and neighborhoods. That is not exclusive to "conservatives".

Reactions: W-4
That's a highly inflammatory and defensive response. That's not what I'm saying at all. Being progressive or conservative has nothing to do with it; I'm talking about people who desire the look and feel of a more rural setting and neighborhoods. That is not exclusive to "conservatives".
That was legitimately what I took from your initial statement, so thank you for clarifying.

That was legitimately what I took from your initial statement, so thank you for clarifying.
This isn't really the place to be projecting whatever animosity you have. That's on you, dude. You can choose how you want to speak to people or how you ask for clarification. The absence of an apology is telling. This isn't the forum for it. You could have sent a private conversation.

This mixed-use project is along the Beth Condon Memorial Pathway in Yarmouth. According to this article, it will feature 18 apartments and 3 commercial spaces (https://www.pressherald.com/2021/10...mmunity-support-for-new-yarmouth-pocket-park/).

I snapped the photo while on the bus this evening, apologies for the quality. Considering the location, I think this is a pretty good project and would like to see more townhouses constructed in Maine.

Please let me know if folks think there is a better spot for development occurring in smaller towns in the Portland metro that don’t warrant or have a dedicated thread.
C3319CD1-1B61-4023-8CAD-B9F37EA57B88.jpeg

This is a bit too early and high-concept for its own thread… but the Portland Museum of Art has announced plans to significantly expand Its Congress St campus with an $85 million project to build an “Architecturally significant” 6-7 story building on the site of the former children’s museum with Gallery, event, studio and retail space.

PPH article:

This is, potentially, really exciting!

For those who can't read the article it also mentions the proposed addition would expand square footage from 38,000 to 100,000 and would allow the museum to accommodate 300k-500k visitors a year. The plan is for a rooftop sculpture garden and cafe, ground floor (free) art galleries, classrooms and community space. The rest of the floors will be an auditorium, traveling exhibition, offices, maker space and photography center.

The article says "it could be at least three years before construction begins" - that would be pretty quick, maybe they are optimistic about raising the $85M? Mentions renovating the facade of the Payson Building to unify with the new building - but it seems like this would be a separate endeavor?

Do people feel like the Children's Museum building is worth saving? I say level it - but will that pass HPB?

Last edited:
This has been planned for a while. The children's museum is not historically or architecturally significant, despite the Greek columns in the front. That goes. They are planning an architectural marvel to house the overflow of art, including pieces from the Scott Black collection (he's a Wall Street billionaire) and the recent photography acquisition from the Judy Glickman Lauder collection. Look for it to become the second biggest and notable public art museum in New England, or second to the MFA in Boston. Portland is really putting itself on the map now, or soon will be.

This has been planned for a while. The children's museum is not historically or architecturally significant, despite the Greek columns in the front. That goes. They are planning an architectural marvel to house the overflow of art, including pieces from the Scott Black collection (he's a Wall Street billionaire) and the recent photography acquisition from the Judy Glickman Lauder collection. Look for it to become the second biggest and notable public art museum in New England, or second to the MFA in Boston. Portland is really putting itself on the map now, or soon will be.
Your going to have to go some to beat out the PEM for second place.

Great museum, PEM, but it's a "cobweb museum." PMA is planning something more contemporary, progressive, and popular. There is new money here (Scott Black), and Portland is a bigger draw in the summer than Salem (for growth too).

Last edited:
Is anything being built in SoPo on the corner of Darling Ave and Maine Mall Road next to the Comfort Inn? The large lot there is all dug up and fenced off.

Is anything being built in SoPo on the corner of Darling Ave and Maine Mall Road next to the Comfort Inn? The large lot there is all dug up and fenced off.

I noticed a few weeks back there was a geotechnical crew boring on the site of the proposed St. Lawrence Performance Arts Hall on the corner of Congress and Munjoy. Maybe it's getting closer to happening? Does anyone know where the process ended? I couldn't find anything quickly on CSS (I could have the address wrong) but on the St. Lawrence website they say "St. Lawrence Arts has completed the site plan review for the development and has a shovel ready project." but I think it has said this on the site for quite some time?

The rendering they currently have on the site:

sla_-_8_night_rendering.1200x628.jpg

There is a recent site plan application for 76 Congress on CSS but no materials up yet. I know their website says they got HP and PB approval but I was under the impression they still needed to raise a ton of money to make it happen. Maybe they've had some success with fundraising. I think it will be a great addition to the city's arts scene, but I wonder whether they'll get additional pushback from Munjoy Hill neighbors if they're actually moving forward, particularly those who've taken up residence in the last couple years. My recollection is that most of the opposition centered around parking and traffic concerns.

My bad, I should do a better job of adding labels to my photos. Posts 4016 and 4017 shows the completed second floor addition and exterior renovations to the Casco Bay Lines Ferry Terminal on the west side of the Maine State Pier.

Last edited:

Back