The Casco | 201 Federal Street | Portland

I would love to see a pocket park similar to the one in the Gulch section of Nashville, put in Portland, Maine. Nice fake waterfall, with plenty of restaurants and shops to check out. Awesome area with lots of pedestrian activity.
20220725_130943.jpg

My guesses:
  • The Phoenix
  • The Dirigo
  • The Resurgem
  • The Machigonne
  • The Penobscot
  • The Passamaquoddy
  • The Wabanaki
  • The Acadia
  • The Presumpscot
  • The Piscataquis
  • The Algonquian
  • The Levett
  • The Wadsworth-Longfellow
  • The Baxter
  • The Fore

You guessed some of my guesses there.

I'm trying to think of something else that speaks to it being the tallest building in the state. Maine Tower? The Maine? Dirigo Tower?

They could name it "Maine's Tallest Building" except leave a gap in the sign/name so it looks like "Maine's ____ Tallest Building" only without the actual underscore. (AB closed the gap automatically which is why I had to put it there) That gap will eventually get to have a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, etc and it can be a long-running inside joke as the city/state eventually allows some taller buildings.

Though 201 Federal Street will be Maine's tallest building, it will only be the second in height when measured in feet above sea level. The "Top of the East" on the 14th floor of the Westin will still be the highest point (300') that can be occupied on the peninsula due to the difference in elevation.

Though 201 Federal Street will be Maine's tallest building, it will only be the second in height when measured in feet above sea level. The "Top of the East" on the 14th floor of the Westin will still be the highest point (300') that can be occupied on the peninsula due to the difference in elevation.

It will also still technically be shorter than 2 churches, maybe 3 depending on the final height of its mech. I seem to think this is going 205' but can somebody confirm?

This building will be Maine's tallest HIGHRISE but not actually the tallest building.

It will be 204' (average) to the top of the mechanical penthouse which is considered the architectural top. I personally, along with many others do not count church spires, flag poles and communication antennas and I'm not buying the listed height (235') of the St Joseph's church in Biddeford. Checked it out in person and there is no way its equivalent to a 23 story tower. 201 Federal Street will be the tallest "non church" building in Maine along with the highest floor count and the highest floor that can be occupied. The height for Lewiston City Hall is also misleading, it's closer to 168' with the weather vane adding an additional 17 feet which is even less impressive than a flag pole. The Penobscot Narrows Bridge and Observatory is the tallest structure in Maine at 420 feet.

Last edited:
I personally along with many others do not count church spires, flag poles and antennas....

I count the first one but not the other 2. Antenna in particular never count as part of the "official heights" of buildings.

The Penobscot Narrows Bridge and Observatory is the tallest structure in Maine at 420 feet.

I have seen a couple different figures but they all top 440'. This one says 447'. It's the tallest bridge observatory in the world!

I count the first one but not the other 2. Antenna in particular never count as part of the "official heights" of buildings.

I have seen a couple different figures but they all top 440'. This one says 447'. It's the tallest bridge observatory in the world!
I wish we could have had an attractive bridge like this in Portland instead of the Casco Bay Bridge and the Veteran's Memorial Bridge (with it's weird "eyelashes" as I call them).

I wish we could have had an attractive bridge like this in Portland instead of the Casco Bay Bridge and the Veteran's Memorial Bridge (with it's weird "eyelashes" as I call them).
They considered a high level bridge when they were planning the CBB, but it would have landed around Spring St. in Portland and no idea where on the South Portland side.

Thanks Corey and yes I did. The lip around the perimeter of One City Center's roof is around a foot high so I took most of the photo's on my knees due to foolish thoughts that a strong wind may suddenly whip up and knock me over the edge! The old adage of "tuck and roll" doesn't work well from 150 feet above the city streets.

Last edited:
Great to see the porta potty rising above the Portland skyline. My wife and I can see it from the rooftop on chestnut street, we often question how they pump it out up there and how one porta potty serves the whole crew.

Back