Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

I'm not sure my links will work correctly but here is an answer to the elevator question, they are performing the proper safety procedures required by law. 556 pages for you guys to read if you want to.

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://tajhizkala.ir/doc/ASME/ASME%20A17.1%E2%80%932013%20,%20Safety%20Code%20for%20Elevators%20and%20Escalators.pdf

8.3.5.3 Test Procedure 8.3.5.3.1 Endurance Test. Test samples shall be subject to 100 000 operating cycles (100 000 up and 100 000 down) at the component rated pressure and within the fluid specifications and temperature range stipulated by the manufacturer. Each operating cycle shall be not less than 5 s nor more than 24 s

The elevators at Magoun were doing the same thing a couple of weeks ago for a couple of days. I think it might be part of the burn-in for the elevator machinery.

That's what I was hoping. That only one of the Gilman elevators are doing this made me feel it was a screwup, but if similar stuff went down at other stations, then I'll just happily assume the folks in charge of getting the GLX up and running know what they're doing.

Magoun is looking very close to done, with nearly zero construction debris. They were setting garbage cans, benches, and sand barrels today. Amusing to watch them use an excavator as a crane to maneuver the trash cans, since they’re the bomb-proof jobs.
Has anyone seen any test trains recently? Haven’t seen any in weeks.

Magoun is looking very close to done, with nearly zero construction debris. They were setting garbage cans, benches, and sand barrels today. Amusing to watch them use an excavator as a crane to maneuver the trash cans, since they’re the bomb-proof jobs.
The bus shelters at the Lechmere Station have not been finished. They are fenced off with the equipment and partially constructed benches inside. At least being under the Greenline tracks keeps the rain away but the winter wind will be another matter. Hopefully this is completed before then so riders can get partial protection from the winter weather.

The bus shelters at the Lechmere Station have not been finished. They are fenced off with the equipment and partially constructed benches inside. At least being under the Greenline tracks keeps the rain away but the winter wind will be another matter. Hopefully this is completed before then so riders can get partial protection from the winter weather.
I walked through there last weekend and it felt like such a swing-and-a-miss leaving the bus loop so unfinished while the remainder of the extension was being finished. But, on a good note, the shelters, tannoys, and the fare machines are all there. It seems like the announcements are being broadcast in the bus shelters too. So, hopefully soon!

School St to Sycamore St.
5FEFCB26-5935-4FCC-A51F-BC06E37C7004.jpeg

I hate getting my hopes up, but it does seem like they're running out of things to do. I feel like I could wrap this project up myself in a couple days with a modest toolbox and a few YouTube instructional videos

Well if you want a downer, I haven't seen test trains in a while.

That is a concerning sign. I don't know at all on this aspect, I'm just remembering a line somewhere saying about the Union Sq branch testing works - That they need to test and it's a minimum of 1 month assuming no issues were found (though I also recall Union Sq did found issues with the overhead wire which is why the trains run so slow, implying they did found that issue from testing, but opened anyways).

Assuming that's right, test trains needs to be running right now if there is any chance for it to be opening within November.

Instead of "I've Been Working On The Railroad", we're stuck with "The Supply Chain Blues"

Is that green thing a porta-potty, & is it going to be there on a permanent basis just past the rollup gate? If so, then they should be at EVERY station entrance. :unsure:

Well if you want a downer, I haven't seen test trains in a while.

That is a concerning sign. I don't know at all on this aspect, I'm just remembering a line somewhere saying about the Union Sq branch testing works - That they need to test and it's a minimum of 1 month assuming no issues were found (though I also recall Union Sq did found issues with the overhead wire which is why the trains run so slow, implying they did found that issue from testing, but opened anyways).

Assuming that's right, test trains needs to be running right now if there is any chance for it to be opening within November.
yea, I saw a few test trains in the days after the GLX and OL reopened in late September but I haven't seen any in about a month.
They do seem to be steadily making progress with the stations and community path.
There was fairly regular testing in the month before the shutdown so I wonder if another full month of testing is actually required.
The power substation (or what ever its called) at Gilman sq seems to be operating any time I pass.
At the rate they are going (nothing spectacular) all the infrastructure should be completed this time next month so hopefully we'll see test trains fairly soon.
Otherwise a finished line is going to sit there empty. Sadly, this seems more likely.

yea, I saw a few test trains in the days after the GLX and OL reopened in late September but I haven't seen any in about a month.
They do seem to be steadily making progress with the stations and community path.
There was fairly regular testing in the month before the shutdown so I wonder if another full month of testing is actually required.
The power substation (or what ever its called) at Gilman sq seems to be operating any time I pass.
At the rate they are going (nothing spectacular) all the infrastructure should be completed this time next month so hopefully we'll see test trains fairly soon.
Otherwise a finished line is going to sit there empty. Sadly, this seems more likely.
I wonder if it’s related to the dispatcher shortage. They may not want to use resources to dispatch test trains when they don‘t have enough for the active lines. Would be extremely disappointing if this is the case.

I wonder if it’s related to the dispatcher shortage. They may not want to use resources to dispatch test trains when they don‘t have enough for the active lines. Would be extremely disappointing if this is the case.
Unclear if they have a Green Line dispatcher shortage though -- the reductions have only been on the heavy rail lines.

The move away from the FMCB means there isn’t a forum to regularly ask the managers “Are we still on track for the end of November?” in public, and observe the ways the answer changes.
yea, the removal of the site webcams was a clear sign that there was going to be no transparency when it came to this project.

Back