Cambridge Crossing (NorthPoint) | East Cambridge/Charlestown | Cambridge/Boston

I don't see why you would extend the streets N/S or how that would be a win for urbanism. 28 + viaduct already blocks pedestrian connectivity, and the streets on the CX side don't dedicate excessive space to cars - they're narrower than the corresponding ones across the highway (this is a consistent and underrated win of master-planned developments; also goes for Assembly, Seaport Square, Fan Pier).

I don't see why you would extend the streets N/S or how that would be a win for urbanism. 28 + viaduct already blocks pedestrian connectivity, and the streets on the CX side don't dedicate excessive space to cars - they're narrower than the corresponding ones across the highway (this is a consistent and underrated win of master-planned developments; also goes for Assembly, Seaport Square, Fan Pier).

What about the new staircase to, public elevators to, and multiple new building connections to the sidewalk on the Gilmore bridge to Charlestown?? Are cars using that staircase? I have cut through CX to Charlestown multiple times on foot now since that's been built, sometimes stopping for a coffee in CX along the way. I do agree with some of BeyondRevenue's critiques, but there have been plenty of other things CX has done that are decidedly not car centric.

BR, I appreciate you detailing out your reasoning, some of which I agree with, but I am going to push back here too. I think a lot of what you are saying is exaggerated or inaccurate. I definitely am not a CX apologist and have no ties to the developer. I am am, however, a community stakeholder who walks through here constantly.
1) Mere yards away is historic street-gridded East Cambridge. There are multiple access points from there to CX, and this developer is paying to extend First Street to reconnect CX to this dense neighborhood that abuts it. Some effort, yes. Enough effort, no: there should have been better pedestrian connections including ones that allow peds to completely avoid the McGrath/O'Brien
2) These developers participated in the land swap deal that plunks a transit station directly into their neighborhood. You can get downtown in minutes from trains that actually have decent headways now that the two GLX branches are both open. Should the developer get a ton of credit here, No. But WTF suburban office park has a multi-branch transit station in it with a direct connection to the urban core? Reality: this spot is well connected by bike, bus, and rail transit. It is flat out not true that everyone gets here by car. You can literally watch a stream of people walk from the GLX station to the lab buildings in the morning.
3) There is a TON of papered-over ground level retail that retail brokers are trying to lease. Should it be leased by now and could they be trying harder, maybe. But the retail presently activated is like 15% of what it is designed to be. I am 100% with you that all typical errands should be able to be reached by CX's residents within 5 minutes. There should be a grocery store, pharmacy, several other reasonably priced meal options, maybe even a library branch some day. So, yes, it's not acceptably built out yet. But show me an office park anywhere that has as many retail stalls as CX. I am not going to go count now, but I would be shocked if there were fewer than 25 retail storefronts within these buildings, nearly all of which are papered-over. There is a problem here, but it is not specifically the one you are calling out.
4) The park is supposed to be fully lined with buildings. Some of them are not built yet. They need to be, IMO, for the park to be properly hemmed in and with a fully active streetwall. The developer has clearly established plans with (mostly) prepared lots expecting to be built upon. So give them a bit more time. There was a pandemic that disrupted things, the interest rates are through the roof, etc.
5) Big floor plates and big fat lab buildings: A) I hate lab buildings, B) the life sciences industry is world class in Cambridge and is our golden goose. It is only natural that a live/work/play neighboorhood is going to have to deal with/accommodate the life sciences industry. Charles Street is wonderful, but labs don't fit in narrow 19th century brick buildings. The problem needs to be framed differently: HOW can we come up with lab building designs that are multi-use and don't suck nearly as much as the ones we're building. NOT, how can we tell Sanofi, Bristol Myers Squibb, Philips, etc, to get the F out. It does not make sense to kick them out - they actually have people in the office, unlike other types of businesses these days. Let's give those people a place to live, places to have recreation, and shops to patronize.
6) People: if you look at the CX master plan, you will see that there are roughly half a dozen additional residential buildings. They are not built yet. When they are, there will literally be thousands more people here. That is a game-changer. The retail slots will fill out.

So, I go back to my original point. What we see from CX has elements of laziness in design, implementation, and neighborhood innovation. It is not sufficiently "there yet" in my mind, but I am rooting for it to get better. But I refuse to accept arguments that it is suburban or anti-urban. It is not those things.

100%. I've worked in soulless suburban office parks and CX is anything but. I find it to be a pleasant place to spend time in or pass through, and I've only ever arrived by foot, bike, or transit--never by car. The biggest issue with it is 28 cutting it off from East Cambridge, which isn't the fault of the developer, obviously.

100%. I've worked in soulless suburban office parks and CX is anything but. I find it to be a pleasant place to spend time in or pass through, and I've only ever arrived by foot, bike, or transit--never by car. The biggest issue with it is 28 cutting it off from East Cambridge, which isn't the fault of the developer, obviously.

Same here (both to the having previously worked in an office park, and to never having driven to/from CX). I routinely access it either from the Second St. side (through the new bus station) or through the soon-to-be-replaced horrendous O'Brien/Cambridge/East st. intersection (I can't wait to just go straight through on First St. when that opens).

I can anticipate the counterargument to "The biggest issue with it is Rt. 28 cutting it off..." would be that the developer should have done more to mitigate this effect. Perhaps fund a pedestrian overpass bridge or something. And maybe so: but that's why I am labeling this "lazy urbanism" as opposed to anti-urbanism...the latter of which, to me, is when a developer goes out of their way to actively mitigate/dissuade entry and make a place into an exclusive enclave; whereas here, pretty much everything that restricts the general public's inflow is preexisting conditions and constraints (again, that perhaps the developer could have done more to remove - but, with both the First Street connection and Gilmore Bridge stairs/elevators examples, I do not believe it is at all fair to say the developer has done nothing to improve car-free access). Further, if they get to the point where they're actually on track build all the additional planned residential and do well with selling/leasing it, then we could still yet see a new pedestrian connection over Rt. 28.

View attachment 24944

From the 2nd floor of Lamplighter

The park in CX with the landscaped berms and water feature reminds me of my hometown's downtown centerpiece park Gene Leahy Mall in Omaha, Nebraska, street view here - https://goo.gl/maps/sgPYRh78gdmYd6Am8. Incidentally, the park in Omaha was completely redeveloped in 2022 to be completely at grade with the surrounding streets. One of the issues of concern was security given the park felt secluded and apart from the surrounding streets. I personally see the allure of the more natural remote feel in the midst of the city and further it's probably apples and oranges as East Cambridge probably will not have the same safety issues as downtown Omaha.

A few photos from the Lechmere platform from last weekend:

20230521_085433.jpg
20230521_085457.jpg

The park in CX with the landscaped berms and water feature reminds me of my hometown's downtown centerpiece park Gene Leahy Mall in Omaha, Nebraska, street view here - https://goo.gl/maps/sgPYRh78gdmYd6Am8. Incidentally, the park in Omaha was completely redeveloped in 2022 to be completely at grade with the surrounding streets. One of the issues of concern was security given the park felt secluded and apart from the surrounding streets. I personally see the allure of the more natural remote feel in the midst of the city and further it's probably apples and oranges as East Cambridge probably will not have the same safety issues as downtown Omaha.

I'm also from Nebraska, although not Omaha. However, I visit quite often. The Cambridge Crossing Common park seems better integrated and more active than the Gene Leahy Mall. Even with all the recent changes, I still feel the Gene Leahy Mall is secluded. Maybe it's not a fair comparison because Cambridge Common doesn't have such busy and wide streets defining the park like the one in Omaha. The park in Omaha is still a work in progress and it will soon have its own South Station sized Tower at the foot of the park: Mutual of Omaha tower will rise as tallest building on city skyline

Not to derail too much, but I took the fam there (5 hour drive from the twin cities) and was impressed by the Old Market area revitalization as well as the Gene Leahy mall. The mall is a bit over-hyped, so while it is really nicely executed, it is somewhat small and overrun with people. As stated above, although it is perfectly placed next to the Old Market, it does feel strangely isolated, like you are either in one or the other.

My pessimistic side says the design of the berm type park was intentional to prevent team sports as in soccer or even throwing a frisbee around. (Does anyone play frisbee anymore?)

The Flickr albums are so great with this project. Like clockwork every month. Probably just one person on their team who is really dedicated and cares about it, so kudos to them!

Also, what was the thought process that allowed this sign to happen?

1685627207121.png

You misunderstand. I meant what was the thought process that allowed such an unreadable sign to happen? It's probably pretty much invisible from I-93.
Well it's right next to the other Sanofi building, and also at night I'm sure it's lit up.

You misunderstand. I meant what was the thought process that allowed such an unreadable sign to happen? It's probably pretty much invisible from I-93.
yea, seems weird alright, I wonder if there were objections to putting it on a darker solid color background, from an overall aesthetic point of view?

It doesn't look very distinct in this still shot, but in my experience it's very clear when you drive by on I-93, day or night.

I have a recent photo set of Omaha’s Gene Leahy Mall if you’d like to see them. It would take me a few days to insert them on a photo hosting website, retrieve their addresses, build a script and then post on archboston.

I have a recent photo set of Omaha’s Gene Leahy Mall if you’d like to see them. It would take me a few days to insert them on a photo hosting website, retrieve their addresses, build a script and then post on archboston.

All you need to do is copy and paste them directly into the reply boxes. No need to host anymore. You can do this even with an offline picture.

Back