The Marc (former Our Lady of Victories Church) | 25-29 Isabella Street | Bay Villiage

JeffDowntown

Reaction score
Last edited:
Re: The Marc 25-29 Isabella Street; Our Lady of Victories Church

Any idea the purchase includes the parking lot that fronts Arlington and is behind the church?

It does not. Those 2 parcels are still recorded as owned by the Sawyer family.

That's a shame. I wonder what they're holding out for.

Did they buy the church and the rectory building? So they control that whole corner of Isabella and Piedmont St, roughly 17K SF? Someone correct me if I am wrong. The deed on record says roughly 7,355 square feet of land

edit: I did a little more digging and it appears the church was not actually included in this sale but New Boston was given the opportunity to match any offer that the church receives. It looks like only the rectory was included in the $11.4M

Last edited:

Did they buy the church and the rectory building? So they control that whole corner of Isabella and Piedmont St, roughly 17K SF? Someone correct me if I am wrong. The deed on record says roughly 7,355 square feet of land

edit: I did a little more digging and it appears the church was not actually included in this sale but New Boston was given the opportunity to match any offer that the church receives. It looks like only the rectory was included in the $11.4M

The Marc is apparently only the rectory building, 27-29 Isabella Street. Although there are indications in the article that they want the church also.

I wonder if they are trying to work out a deal for the parking lot parcels on Arlington (Sawyer family parcels that back up on the church)? Now that would be an awesome combination of parcels.

Beautiful building

Thank you for documenting this Beeline. This preservation came out really nice.

Walked by here this evening, looks like the church itself is now under redevelopment:

aCAW50nh.jpg

Dg58729h.jpg

HIX48WRh.jpg

VX7LzeIh.jpg

AdrizgKh.jpg

5WkE3LYh.jpg

COXxvbyh.jpg

YpRJZxAh.jpg

They do not appear to care much about the architectural detail inside the church :confused:
Probably a gut rehab. The inside will look like your typical luxury condos, perhaps with better windows. Nobody wants to live inside an actual sanctuary, so all that is useful for repurposing this building is the shell.

I like the project. Seeing this rendering, I have two questions:

What's the story behind this parking lot? Why has it never been developed?

What happened to the restaurant space formerly occupied by Smith and Wolensky? That was a very nice space within the Castle.

1685809348626.png

1685809298712.png

I like the project. Seeing this rendering, I have two questions:

What's the story behind this parking lot? Why has it never been developed?

What happened to the restaurant space formerly occupied by Smith and Wolensky? That was a very nice space within the Castle.

View attachment 38705
View attachment 38704
The perverse and broken tax code encourages leech owners to keep land like this vacant because without developing the land, their tax bill is about a nickel per year. Then you pay a guy three bucks a day to serve as a parking lot attendant and suddenly you have a machine that prints that money. And why would a developer pay a premium for land in an historic district with a permissible FAR of 4 and a 65’ height limit? It’s just buying your way into a decade-long NIMBY and zoning fight.

Back