66 Cambridge Street | Charlestown

It would be nice if 93 actually snaked through the high canopy of tree filled urban parks as pictured in that aerial shot render.
Maybe it's a promised project mitigation we haven't heard yet ;)

This project's great. Color me surprised.

DPIR: https://bpda.app.box.com/s/27w4c16ofwor59uwtj4mxy07y1bc9jq3

Kind of weird not to render it from the I-93 side, where it won't be blocked by anything and you'll get the full wall of it as you drive by.

1695328258092.png

1695328280667.png

1695328315556.png

1695328339287.png

1695328371997.png

1695328390675.png

1695328406656.png

I know the highway is going to be here for a while and the development project has nothing to do with the highway; but man, this render is angst inducing and frankly, a bit unrealistic to think there will be that much pedestrian traffic wanting to be in front of a highway that's either got cars coming 40 mph down the off ramp, or overwhemed with gas cars stuck in standstill traffic.

"Parking for up to 482 vehicles" - blech... across the street from Sullivan Sq Station.
I love that this is the first parcel to get developed. This corner more than others is just desolate. To block the highway and view of constant traffic, plus the ability to see a developed corridor is a key gateway to future movement in Sullivan.

Also - that corner of 93-offramp to Washington where cars cut to the left lane to turn right is a death trap to pedestrians.

1695404284103.png

Masshole drivers. :confused:

Unfortunately it's designed that way... Look at the picture below - especially at night, a driver can't see a pedestrian until they step off the curb. And drivers come speeding down the offramp (or just fast past the homeless) and are never looking for pedestrians even though its within 100 yards of a giant transit station.
1695650180227.png

Dear Developer, please do this
1695650448648.png

I can't believe that off-ramp was built in the early 2000s! You would think it was just part of the bad planning that came with the elevated highway in the 1970s. There was an overpass from Rutherford to Mystic that was torn down just after this off-ramp was built. I bet this off-ramp would have never been allowed if it was known that the overpass was going to be torn down. The traffic study just would not have allowed for it. I believe rebuilding an overpass would be welcomed once again with one lane of traffic in each direction with pedestrian and bicycle infrastructure included to connect 6 Cambridge /Hood Park and the One Mystic Ave project across the way.
Untitled.png

I can't believe that off-ramp was built in the early 2000s! You would think it was just part of the bad planning that came with the elevated highway in the 1970s. There was an overpass from Rutherford to Mystic that was torn down just after this off-ramp was built. I bet this off-ramp would have never been allowed if it was known that the overpass was going to be torn down. The traffic study just would not have allowed for it. I believe rebuilding an overpass would be welcomed once again with one lane of traffic in each direction with pedestrian and bicycle infrastructure included to connect 6 Cambridge /Hood Park and the One Mystic Ave project across the way.
View attachment 43011
Looking back at the plans for the Big Dig, the original plan for that off ramp was to locate it a ways to the south, skirting the north edge of the Bunker Hill Community College campus and feeding directly onto Rutherford Ave. That would have been preferable from a traffic dispersion viewpoint.

View attachment 43011

Part of the ramps are still there I had never noticed this before.
IMG_9081.jpeg

Back