River Street Redesign | Cambridge

LexSEDotVille

Reaction score

River Street Reconstruction Project​

The project includes utility and surface reconstruction of the following streets and public spaces:
  • River Street from Memorial Drive to Massachusetts Avenue
  • Carl Barron Plaza (the major public space at the intersection of River Street/Western Ave/Mass Ave in Central Square)
  • The MBTA bus stops and busway at Magazine/Green/River Street adjacent to Carl Barron Plaza
  • Pleasant Street and Tubman Square between Pleasant Place and River Street
  • Green Street between Magazine and Pearl Street
  • Magazine Street between Franklin and Green Street
  • Blackstone Street
River St Redesign (city's project website)

Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 22.12.03.png

Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 22.11.03.png

Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 22.09.57.png

Carl Barron Plaza:

Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 22.18.51.png

Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 22.19.15.png

Tubman Square:
Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 22.20.50.png

Imagine if Mass Ave looked like this, that would be amazing. Anyways, that's a lot of removed street parking, floating bus stops, trees, and proper bike lanes. Me likey.

Looks great. Although that looks like a really rough right turn for buses from Green onto River street.

Looks great. Although that looks like a really rough right turn for buses from Green onto River street.
I can't find the slide from the presentation (the City's website for this is terrible), but buses won't be making that turn.

I hope this is far enough along that the new city councilors can’t sabotage it.

I can't find the slide from the presentation (the City's website for this is terrible), but buses won't be making that turn.
The 47 bus does make that turn today, between unloading at the last stop of Green/Magazine (the stop for outbound 70) and turning onto Mass Ave for layover and boarding.

In the Bus Network Redesign (BNRD), the turn is removed for the new T47 route. Instead, the outbound T47 makes a left turn from Brookline Ave to Mass Ave directly, stopping at the Mass Ave northbound bus stop (outbound 1) before heading north on Prospect St towards Union Square Somerville.

So perhaps this redesign is intended to be only after the new T47 is implemented? That would imply this has to be among the earlier batches of BNRD implementations.

The 47 bus does make that turn today, between unloading at the last stop of Green/Magazine (the stop for outbound 70) and turning onto Mass Ave for layover and boarding.

In the Bus Network Redesign (BNRD), the turn is removed for the new T47 route. Instead, the outbound T47 makes a left turn from Brookline Ave to Mass Ave directly, stopping at the Mass Ave northbound bus stop (outbound 1) before heading north on Prospect St towards Union Square Somerville.

So perhaps this redesign is intended to be only after the new T47 is implemented? That would imply this has to be among the earlier batches of BNRD implementations.
I believe it's left on Magazine, right on Franklin, right on River, with a new layover spot on River.

Looks pretty good. This should be in the infrastructure forum.
Feel free to move it. I was looking for comps in the forum (gov center redesign and copley sq redesign were in Dev. Proj). Perhaps there should be a dedicated place for plaza/parks/public spaces within the 'Greater Boston' forums?

Ugh! I've always hated asphalt patches on brick sidewalks or plazas. Tacky in the extreme.
Worse - that formerly busy plaza looks barren.

I wonder why the bus lane doesn't start back at Memorial Drive. Seems awfully inconsistent.

Imagine if Mass Ave looked like this, that would be amazing. Anyways, that's a lot of removed street parking, floating bus stops, trees, and proper bike lanes. Me likey.
After a careful look at the corridor and the plans, there are actually not much street parking eliminated. About 605 ft had parking completely removed (230' of which didn't even get bus lanes in return), and another 260 ft had parking cut in half. There are still about 1,475 ft with existing parking (residential and metered) mostly retained.

Granted, removing about one-third of parking - 20 parking spaces out of 62 - is still an improvement (not counting accessible parking).

Admittedly, I haven't been following these road redesign projects, but I feel that removing street parking in heavily residential neighborhoods like this is always harder to the point where it may get impractical at times. For households that do own cars (even if they don't use them regularly), you can't just tell them to sell the cars within the relatively short project time frame.

From west to east:
SegmentLengthCurrentProposed
Memorial Dr - Blackstone St480 ftNo parkingNo parking (but also no bus lanes)
Blackstone St - Putnam Ave230 ftAbout 6 spaces, unregulatedEliminated (but also no bus lanes)
Putnam Ave - Fairmount St365 ftAbout 12 spaces, unregulated1 loading zone, 2 metered parking, ~8 residential parking
Fairmount St - Rockwell St225 ftAbout 7-8 spaces, unregulated2 metered parking, ~6 residential parking
Rockwell St - Laurel St180 ftAccessible parking only, ~2 spaces2 loading zones, 1 accessible parking
For business (The Coast Cafe)
Laurel St - Howard/Kelly St135 ftAbout 5 spaces, unregulatedEliminated
Howard/Kelly St - Jay St240 ftTwo sections, about 5 spaces, unregulatedEliminated
Jay St - Kinnaird St255 ftAbout 4 spaces (western half of this segment), unregulated3 residential parking as two disconnected segments (almost the same)
Kinnaird St - Pleasant St260 ftAbout 7 spaces, unregulatedReduced: 3 metered parking
Pleasant St - Auburn St370 ftMetered parking, ~12 spaces
For businesses (Cambridge Deli & Grill, Pai Kin Kao)
2 loading zones, 8 metered parking
(Slightly shortened near Pleasant St to create outdoor dining space)
Auburn St - Franklin St260 ftAbout 3 spaces (western half of this segment), unregulated3 metered parking
Franklin St - Green St270 ftNo parkingNo parking
Green St - Mass Ave290 ftNo parkingNo parking

After a careful look at the corridor and the plans, there are actually not much street parking eliminated. About 605 ft had parking completely removed (230' of which didn't even get bus lanes in return), and another 260 ft had parking cut in half. There are still about 1,475 ft with existing parking (residential and metered) mostly retained.

Granted, removing about one-third of parking - 20 parking spaces out of 62 - is still an improvement (not counting accessible parking).

Admittedly, I haven't been following these road redesign projects, but I feel that removing street parking in heavily residential neighborhoods like this is always harder to the point where it may get impractical at times. For households that do own cars (even if they don't use them regularly), you can't just tell them to sell the cars within the relatively short project time frame.

From west to east:
SegmentLengthCurrentProposed
Memorial Dr - Blackstone St480 ftNo parkingNo parking (but also no bus lanes)
Blackstone St - Putnam Ave230 ftAbout 6 spaces, unregulatedEliminated (but also no bus lanes)
Putnam Ave - Fairmount St365 ftAbout 12 spaces, unregulated1 loading zone, 2 metered parking, ~8 residential parking
Fairmount St - Rockwell St225 ftAbout 7-8 spaces, unregulated2 metered parking, ~6 residential parking
Rockwell St - Laurel St180 ftAccessible parking only, ~2 spaces2 loading zones, 1 accessible parking
For business (The Coast Cafe)
Laurel St - Howard/Kelly St135 ftAbout 5 spaces, unregulatedEliminated
Howard/Kelly St - Jay St240 ftTwo sections, about 5 spaces, unregulatedEliminated
Jay St - Kinnaird St255 ftAbout 4 spaces (western half of this segment), unregulated3 residential parking as two disconnected segments (almost the same)
Kinnaird St - Pleasant St260 ftAbout 7 spaces, unregulatedReduced: 3 metered parking
Pleasant St - Auburn St370 ftMetered parking, ~12 spaces
For businesses (Cambridge Deli & Grill, Pai Kin Kao)
2 loading zones, 8 metered parking
(Slightly shortened near Pleasant St to create outdoor dining space)
Auburn St - Franklin St260 ftAbout 3 spaces (western half of this segment), unregulated3 metered parking
Franklin St - Green St270 ftNo parkingNo parking
Green St - Mass Ave290 ftNo parkingNo parking
I guess it's partially about expectations, I would consider axing 1/3 of parking to be quite substantial.

I've been pretty surprised how much on street parking Cambridge has been able to get rid of in these street redesigns. If you look at the Hampshire St. bike lane, that got rid of bit under half the on-street parking from Inman to Kendall. Similar is true on Brattle and Garden and I don't know where all else. Same will be true for the redesigns Main St, Cambridge St., and probably others I'm forgetting. Central Square got rid of a couple of blocks of parking so there could be outdoor dining during the pandemic and it's just stayed that way. All together, Cambridge has removed in the hundreds of on-street parking spaces recently, with more to be removed in 2024.

I would be curious how people with cars have reacted to the recent changes. I'm sure some have sold their cars. Others probably just park a little further away and spend more time searching. Some will buy a spot in a garage or lot.

I've been pretty surprised how much on street parking Cambridge has been able to get rid of in these street redesigns. If you look at the Hampshire St. bike lane, that got rid of bit under half the on-street parking from Inman to Kendall. Similar is true on Brattle and Garden and I don't know where all else. Same will be true for the redesigns Main St, Cambridge St., and probably others I'm forgetting. Central Square got rid of a couple of blocks of parking so there could be outdoor dining during the pandemic and it's just stayed that way. All together, Cambridge has removed in the hundreds of on-street parking spaces recently, with more to be removed in 2024.

I would be curious how people with cars have reacted to the recent changes. I'm sure some have sold their cars. Others probably just park a little further away and spend more time searching. Some will buy a spot in a garage or lot.

I doubt anyone has sold their car just because Cambridge designed and implemented some complete streets. I live in Cambridge so I walk basically anywhere I go in town, but as a car owner I find the new Inman much better to drive through and look forward to the new River Street design. A lot of this stuff is just removing uncertainty and putting things in dedicated, predictable lanes.

Frustratingly, the squeakiest wheels in the bike lane discussions seem to see any change as an affront to their ability to live in Cambridge.

Back