Potential Infill CR Station - Osgood Landing (North Andover)

North Shore

Reaction score
[Mods, feel free to move if necessary]

Recently, the Town of North Andover approved ARPA funding to conduct a feasibilty study for a potential infill station on the Haverhill line at Osgood Landing, located between Andover and Lawrence.

A station in North Andover would allow for the resumption of Commuter Rail service in the Town for the first time since 1974.

Looks like it's the site of a large Amazon warehouse. With increased frequency could be good for some reverse commuting from Lawrence.

I don't see much residential in the area.

Looks like it's the site of a large Amazon warehouse. With increased frequency could be good for some reverse commuting from Lawrence.

The area in question is being re-zoned in accordance with the MBTA Communities act. Along with the current zoning overlay that's there, there is a potential for high density residential development in the future.

Interestingly, there is a fair amount of housing just on the other side of the river. Too bad there is no bridge.

In that document, they say they'll study building a pedestrian bridge across the river to Methuen. I agree, that'd be a great improvement.
They'd pretty much have to do that, and hit a home run on the residential TOD, for this site to pull its weight. Unfortunately, there's just not much of North Andover in reach of anything but the old pre-1974 stop @ Main St. grade crossing. There's very little street grid and even less sidewalk coverage out around Osgood Landing, and what does exist for spanning streets is more oriented to Boxford (pop. 8203) than North Andover.

This one's a real reach.

For what it's worth, the MVRTA runs a bus from *Haverhill* to the Amazon warehouse, and it's reasonably direct, with one other major industrial park deviation. No idea if it gets any ridership, considering this is a recent thing, and of course if you live in Lawrence it'd be no help (it also came at the cost of off-highway service to the tiny neighborhood nearby...)

For what it's worth, the MVRTA runs a bus from *Haverhill* to the Amazon warehouse, and it's reasonably direct, with one other major industrial park deviation. No idea if it gets any ridership, considering this is a recent thing, and of course if you live in Lawrence it'd be no help (it also came at the cost of off-highway service to the tiny neighborhood nearby...)
And bus #3 runs with half-hourly frequencies from Lawrence to the old North Andover stop (just a 3-minute ride from Lawrence CR station!), taking care of the lion's share of North Andover population catchment. Town of North Andover's got a really skewed pop distribution. The bulk of it is mashed between Main St., Mass Ave., Sutton St., and MA 133 as a de facto extension of the South Lawrence neighborhood a stone's throw from Lawrence CR, and the land-majority rest of the town is conservation land with widely scattered cul de sacs. It's one of the most layout-lopsided downtown-vs.-outskirts spatial distributions you'll find anywhere in MA.

Implement :30 Regional Rail to Lawrence, pulse up the #3 frequencies a bit, institute a new Lawrence-originating bus route to a fully-TOD'd Osgood Landing to complement an enhanced #14 out of Haverhill. That covers the spread excellently. I'm not seeing the impetus for a future CR infill here.

Last edited:

Back