South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

I still would have liked a masonry tower. Great pic though. Thanks!
Luckily, Boston isn't overrun with blue glass buildings as so many cities are. So while I am almost universally opposed to blue glass buildings, I'm OK with this one. It has a little style; it's not just a glass box. The part I'm most interested in, though, is the improvement to South Station itself.

Luckily, Boston isn't overrun with blue glass buildings as so many cities are. So while I am almost universally opposed to blue glass buildings, I'm OK with this one. It has a little style; it's not just a glass box. The part I'm most interested in, though, is the improvement to South Station itself.

All 5 of the tallest buildings built this boom, extending to 7 of the top 8, are all blue glass. Plus 1 Post Office Square switched to blue glass. I think we have enough at this point and agree that the next major buildings over 500'-600' (if we ever see another one) should be masonry towers.

The only lucky thing is that most of the glass looks different from other glass buildings in the city, and all are between good to great to transcendent in the quality department (unlike, say, a Toronto or Vancouver-look filled with garbage).

I'm curious about the "blue glass" categorization. Hanock (even though some here insist it's "green" 🤷‍♂️), Millenium, Winthrop, Exhcange Place, and Raffles (and others) seem (to me) to be blue.

The new State Street seems purely "mirror" (and so does 1 Post Office Square, 111 Huntington, and will/does SST, and plenty others), 1 Dalton seems grey/dark blue, kinda like 33 Arch.

All-glass cladding with minimal framing and w/o aggressively pursuing some bold color-scheme (pink, day-glo green) seems it'd always be kinda similar-ish?

Last edited:
I didnt realize they were allowed to lower people down in the basket of the crane, but thats exactly what hes doing there. I thought they had to climb up and down the ladder. I’m afraid of heights so not sure which one would make me shit my pants more.

IMG_0225.jpeg

A fair amount of street activity on a cold day ... nice to see that in downtown area.

Chinatown has the formula - dense residential neighborhood with almost every streetfront a restaurant or store.

Amazing how the big brains in City Halls across the US don't seem to know the easy formula (or cannot do anything about it while office buildings go the way of the brontosaurus)..

Chinatown has the formula - dense residential neighborhood with almost every streetfront a restaurant or store.

Amazing how the big brains in City Halls across the US don't seem to know the easy formula (or cannot do anything about it while office buildings go the way of the brontosaurus)..
I saw this playing out a decade ago in Medan Indonesia. The city government was supporting new subsidized residential construction in many parts of the city. All of it was ground floor storefront, with 2 - 3 levels of residential above, targeting a single family or an extended family situation. The store front might be retail or service oriented, such as a bike repair shop, a specialty market, an accounting business, etc.

I'm curious about the "blue glass" categorization. Hanock (even though some here insist it's "green" 🤷‍♂️), Millenium, Winthrop, Exhcange Place, and Raffles (and others) seem (to me) to be blue.

The new State Street seems purely "mirror" (and so does 1 Post Office Square, 111 Huntington, and will/does SST, and plenty others), 1 Dalton seems grey/dark blue, kinda like 33 Arch.

All-glass cladding with minimal framing and w/o aggressively pursuing some bold color-scheme (pink, day-glo green) seems it'd always be kinda similar-ish?
I think your assessment is correct, but the reflective or mirror type buildings do often tend to also look blue, just because the sky is the primary element reflecting off of them.

I'm glad that it's being built, but it's really...boring. I wish they would have had some varying mullion sizes at select areas or different glazing patterns. Its just all one spacing and size all the way up the facade.

I'm glad that it's being built, but it's really...boring. I wish they would have had some varying mullion sizes at select areas or different glazing patterns. Its just all one spacing and size all the way up the facade.
The setback in the final phase will provide a different dimension, which IMO will be a nice complement. We should relish this one. I believe there are no further high-rises in the planning stages, just a few mid-rises (~300').

Last edited:

Back