"Dirty Old Boston"

Lol you got into the Globe's archives about 5 minutes faster than I did. Here's the other ones I found:
I think you can see it in this 1971 skyline photo too.

1708551269739.png

Wow they really did a crazy hack job that renovation, they just left the party wall and historic windows as they were...

1708649542915.png

1708649582908.png

Another picture looking down State Street, this time from 1875.

State Street at Chatham 1875 LOC - Detroit Publishing by clamshack, on Flickr

This was from the Centennial celebration of the Battle of Bunker Hill...always really liked this photo series.

Some other scenes from that event:

Washington Street, looking south from Milk Street

Quincy Market, looking east

Milk Street, looking west

Columbus Avenue, looking northeast (467 Columbus on left; Braddock Park mid-left)

West side of Washington Street at Brattle Street (now occupied by City Hall)

Faneuil Hall

Old State House

East side of Devonshire Street, looking south from Milk Street

State House

Milk Street, looking east from Arch Street

City Hall, School Street

Old South Meeting House

City Square, Charlestown

Boston Post Article

Last edited:
This was from the Centennial celebration of the Battle of Bunker Hill...always really liked this photo series.

Columbus Avenue, looking northeast (467 Columbus on left; Braddock Park mid-left)

Faneuil Hall

Old State House

State House

City Hall, School Street

Old South Meeting House

City Square, Charlestown

Boston Post Article

My lord, the volume of stunningly gorgeous architecture we lost. DAG

I wonder if that celebration in 1875 served also as a celebration of recovery from the Great Fire of 1872.

Faneuil Hall

Old State House

State House

City Hall, School Street

Old South Meeting House

City Square, Charlestown

Boston Post Article

What is that domed building in City Square? Anyone know what it was, or when it was torn down?

Kendall Sq, circa 1962. Land had just been cleared to build the NASA Electronics Research Center (which became the Volpe Transportation Systems Center):
gpn-2003-00048.jpg

Photo: NASA (https ://www.nasa.gov/electronics-research-center/)

^Notable in above, the Broad Canal, which had once run all the way from the Charles River near to where Hampshire St. branches off from Broadway, and is now predominately filled in...here is only partially filled in. If you look at the upper-middle-left of the picture, you can see part of the canal still visibly filled with water.

Kendall Sq, circa 1962. Land had just been cleared to build the NASA Electronics Research Center (which became the Volpe Transportation Systems Center):
gpn-2003-00048.jpg

Photo: NASA (https ://www.nasa.gov/electronics-research-center/)

^Notable in above, the Broad Canal, which had once run all the way from the Charles River near to where Hampshire St. branches off from Broadway, and is now predominately filled in...here is only partially filled in. If you look at the upper-middle-left of the picture, you can see part of the canal still visibly filled with water.
If JFK hadn't been assassinated, this location would've become NASA headquarters. No big loss, IMO. But that aside, I used to love the old Kendall Square in the late 1950s. My mom worked on the assembly line at the Carr Fastener factory on the south side of Kendall Sq, and when we picked her up from work the smell of candy from the Necco factory absolutely permeated the whole neighborhood. Man, I loved those old factories. I never wanted to work in one, but I liked the historic industrial look. MIT has done a great job of preserving and repurposing many of those great buildings.

That's the (former) Charlestown City Hall, erected 1867 and demolished 1913. Following annexation, it was turned into a public library and police station. It's now the site of the Municipal Building.

Is this the current building on the site? Or do I have the location incorrect?
1709227114046.png

That's a great shot. It really shows the unique way Boston's skyscrapers in the Financial District are juxtaposed at myriad orientations, looking like a collage of photos mixed together, compared to the straight linearity of other cities' grid-based skyline.

Back